TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Congestion charge exemption, do you need to register your car?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rooster6655, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

Just want to make sure everyone knows, for the London congestion charge is it correct that we need to register our cars for the cleaner air discount if you have a Tesla which is £10 per year?

If it is the case then it’s worthwhile making it clear to people who have just brought an electric car, especially who do not frequent London that often as I have read about people being caught out.

I know for the ULEV you don’t need to register as it’s picked up by the V5

• Informative x 2
  2. TheEVadvisor

TheEVadvisor Member

yes you need to register every year for ULEZ vehicle.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Jason71

Jason71 Member

That's useful info I had no idea. It's going to be a bit of a nightmare if other areas of the country follow suit. Not too much of an issue if you are a local resident and need to register in one area but if you travel around and need to register in London, Birmingham, Liverpool etc. I get that some exemption categories need detailed information but if it's just vehicle is tax class 79 (electric) they could just get that from DVLA. If this sort of zone becomes more common, and I think it will, we will need to find a better way to manage this.

• Like x 1
  5. NorfolkMustard

They definitely can get it from DVLA directly as they do that for ULEZ, it’s just money grabbing.

• Like x 1
  6. KennethS

KennethS Member

That's my take on this as well, particularly as the way you register for the exemption is by providing a copy of the V5C which shows the car make and model. Surely their fancy reg identification cameras would link the the DVLA database, or how else to they get an address to send your penalty notice? Also a bit of a money grab to require that you renew the exemption annually and pay the £10 fee each year. It's not as if the car or basis for the exemption will change!

7. Tatoo1

Tatoo1 Member

I’ve registered for the congestion charge discount. To be fair it was pretty straight forward. Took a picture of my V5C, uploaded it and got confirmed in a 3-4 days. Agreed it’s a bit of a faff paying £10 every year.

• Like x 1
  8. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK L plates

If I knew your reg number, I could access the fact that its a fully electric vehicle. What a waste of resources that CC need an image of V5 and 3-4 days? If they were more efficient, there would be no need for the £10.

Screenshot (222).png

9. NorfolkMustard

#9 NorfolkMustard, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    I'm willing to bet that's exactly what they do do (lookup the reg electronically), because they do it for ULEZ exemption and for some vehicle exemptions for congestion charge, based on the tax class 'disabled', 'fire engine' etc held by DVLA

The faf, photo, upload, 3-day-wait is to justify the £10, and to get your details for when the exemption for electric vehicles is scrapped in 2025

• Like x 1
  10. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

pretty sure they don't send you a reminder? If so then up to you to remember to renew presumably?

11. Marc Roberts

Marc Roberts Member

Wait, what?! I thought fully electric cars were fully exempt, and you just didn't pay? Good job I didn't drive into central London the other day as I was considering!

• Like x 1
  12. NorfolkMustard

13. Thomami

Thomami Member

I know I’m an old cynic but it is obviously a revenue stream, the requirement to send an image of the V5 implies that someone will be looking at it, performing some task, then claim that the £10 is an “admin charge”. There is no reason why with the registration number, they aren't able to see a vehicle is exempt surely...

• Like x 3
  14. Marc Roberts

Marc Roberts Member

This whole setup is really pointless and odd.
    It's like VED exempt vehicles; my wife pays no road tax but still has to apply every year. Bananas.

15. ElectricJoules

I'm planning to visit central London on Sunday. I understand that I do not have to pay the congestion charge (Mon - Fri 7am to 6pm), but as it's too late for me to register I will have to pay the £12.50 ULEZ charge. Is that right?

16. Alset2go

Alset2go Member

I paid the registrations under protest and then,when I was told I would have to actually pay full parking rates for the first two weeks in Westminster where EV’s get 4 hours for 0.81p I asked WHY.
    They said it was standard practice as they HAD TO CONFIRM MY TESLA WAS ELECTRIC.

When I explained Tesla only make EV’s I spoke to a manageress and they got it sorted instantly.

I got full refunds for registration to CC and ULEZ and have only ever paid the 81p for parking.

• Like x 2
  17. Alset2go

Alset2go Member

Also ,be aware it is CAR FREE Sunday in lots of London this Sunday.

Best wishes,

18. ElectricJoules

I went to -
    Check your vehicle
    to check if ULEZ was applicable.
    The check returned NO ULEZ CHARGE DUE FOR THIS VEHICLE. So I guess I do not need to register.

So other than Car Free Sunday all seems OK. Nothing to register for and nothing to pay. Am I right?

No ULEZ due.png

19. NorfolkMustard

I think so, yes. Operating two charges in entirely different ways (CCZ you have to register to be exempt, ULEZ you do not) for the same geographical area is moronic.

Making you register for CCZ and then not explicitly saying you don't have to register for ULEZ, doubly so.

• Like x 1
  20. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Member

As long as your car is registered in the UK correctly and you can check it online like you have then you don't need to register for the ULEZ but you do need to register for the congestion charge discount (£10 per year)

• Like x 1