Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congestion charge exemption, do you need to register your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think so, yes. Operating two charges in entirely different ways (CCZ you have to register to be exempt, ULEZ you do not) for the same geographical area is moronic.

Making you register for CCZ and then not explicitly saying you don't have to register for ULEZ, doubly so.

As long as your car is registered in the UK correctly and you can check it online like you have then you don't need to register for the ULEZ but you do need to register for the congestion charge discount (£10 per year)

Thanks guys. :)

Well, little confused about CC charge. I got an account with tfl for the auto pay CC charge with other car. But I didn’t add the Tesla to an account. As you guys mentioned that do I need to register for Tesla or just add it to my auto CC account?

FYI I had a Vauxhall Ampera and drove it into the congestion zone with out knowing about the registration fee. They sent me a penalty notice. I registered then sent it back with the "with excuse" bit filled out saying I didn't know and have now registered and they cancelled the penalty. So if you get caught out it isn't the end of the world.

Didn't realise it was car free Sunday tomorrow..... damn, change of plans

Reactions: Rooster6655
So I registered my car its its REALLY confusing....

Got this reply today

TFLReply.JPG

This is whats on the autopay website

TFLDisc.JPG

So far so good.

Then I click through the website and find this:

TFLDisc2.JPG

WTF?

That's the opposite of what the letter says.

Also the car is not on "autopay" even though I paid £10 for the discount application.....

• Funny
Reactions: AlexMasters
Replying to Yev000: It took my online account a few hours or more to update after I received the letter (via email) that the Model 3 was now registered as exempt from the CC. Re autopay, I have another car registered for autopay and my understanding is that you only need to do this if the vehicle is required to pay the CC. Autopay means the CC payment is automatically taken from my debit card whenever I drive into the CC zone so I need not remember to pay each time. And you pay another £10 annual fee for the autopay registration. Where the car is 100% exempt from CC, registering for autopay is not necessary since no CC payment is required to be made. Or at least this is how I understand it....

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Replying to Yev000: It took my online account a few hours or more to update after I received the letter (via email) that the Model 3 was now registered as exempt from the CC. Re autopay, I have another car registered for autopay and my understanding is that you only need to do this if the vehicle is required to pay the CC. Autopay means the CC payment is automatically taken from my debit card whenever I drive into the CC zone so I need not remember to pay each time. And you pay another £10 annual fee for the autopay registration. Where the car is 100% exempt from CC, registering for autopay is not necessary since no CC payment is required to be made. Or at least this is how I understand it....

Good to know. I registered anyway, just in case. Don't know if they will charge me and additional £10, not too fussed as long as I don't get a PCN.

When the London congestion charge was established there was a very real concern that it might be too successful and not recoup the not inconsiderable infrastructure and operating costs and become a political embarrassment. So decisions were made to make the implementation as cheap as possible. Effectively, this meant cheap in the short term at the expense of operational effectiveness and long term benefits. Some very clever thinking went in to the design of the system to keep costs down, address privacy concerns of the cameras and minimise what could be seen as 'Big Brother'. Minimising access to other databases was a result. Remember also that a lot of the admin was performed overseas (Call centre culture was the rage)
Effectively the only time the DVLC database would be accessed would be in the case that a penalty charge needed to be sent.
It is simpler and cheaper to register a discount eligibility at the outset rather than requiring the defaulters list to be checked for EVs with the DVLC especially if EVs regularly use the zone.
If the system was designed now it would be done slightly differently - data handling is cheaper and much more efficient than it was 20 years ago however concerns over privacy have grown. It is a testament to the designers that it still works as originally designed, despite tinkering and the 'improvements' to the system for law enforcement and national security.

just landed my self with a pcn for £80 if paid within 14 days and £160 after that. my car was not registered for the congestion charge discount , i honestly didn't know that it had to be . after a phone call i was told i had to pay the fine and register the car as they have no way of knowing my car is electric.

question is do i pay the fine or appeal it ? honestly was unaware that it had to be registered and have since done so , a simple dvla licence plate check reveals the car is electric and shows the co2 emissions as 0 g/km.

question is do i pay the fine or appeal it ? honestly was unaware that it had to be registered and have since done so , a simple dvla licence plate check reveals the car is electric and shows the co2 emissions as 0 g/km.

Pay the fine as you have no choice, you can only get exempt if you apply for the exemption on the site and pay £10 which lasts a year!

I have no doubt that I could write a simple script that used image recognition from a photo and the free online site to show the car is electric, their system is clearly out of touch and no plans to change it!

Perhaps someone can make this a sticky thread to help others!

Reactions: rickyjb
Just taken delivery of my lease Model 3 and don't have a copy of the V5C so have taken a screenshot of the results of the vehicle search on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and paid my £10.....will see if they approve this in lieu of the V5C. If not, I will try and get my lease company to send me a copy of the document.

Has anyone had any issues with their lease company providing the V5C?

How long does it take to register?

"Weeks" :( You need the V5 ... and then the actual registration process (which I don't recall begin instant", I had to send off the V5 and then however long it took to process.

Some very clever thinking went in to the design of the system to keep costs down, address privacy concerns of the cameras and minimise what could be seen as 'Big Brother'. Minimising access to other databases was a result.

I just had a look at the TFL site, and it has these exemptions defined:

"You don't have to pay the Congestion Charge or register with us if the vehicle is recorded at the DVLA in one of these categories:

Two-wheeled motorbikes (and sidecars) and mopeds
Emergency service vehicles, such as ambulances and fire engines, which have a taxation class of 'ambulance' or 'fire engine' on the date of travel
NHS vehicles that are exempt from vehicle tax
Vehicles used by disabled people that are exempt from vehicle tax and have a 'disabled' taxation class
Vehicles for more than one disabled person (for example Dial-a-Ride) that are exempt from vehicle tax and have a 'disabled' taxation class
"

So doesn't that mean that they ARE doing the lookup in order to exempt those vehicles? if so then is there any reason they couldn't do that for EV determination too? and does that mean that £10 p.a. is anything other than a cash-grab (including fining all the EVs that fail to register)?

Reactions: rickyjb
Its reminded me to change for the new car. Sticking a personalised plate on it would be easier than the hassle ... Dartford Crossing too ... probably others that I have forgotten that are going to catch me out and fine me; all those parking APPs that I use ...