Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congestion charge exemption, do you need to register your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a look at the TFL site, and it has these exemptions defined:

"You don't have to pay the Congestion Charge or register with us if the vehicle is recorded at the DVLA in one of these categories:

So doesn't that mean that they ARE doing the lookup in order to exempt those vehicles? if so then is there any reason they couldn't do that for EV determination too? and does that mean that £10 p.a. is anything other than a cash-grab (including fining all the EVs that fail to register)?

yeah, exactly that. The difference being that they have a plan to charge EVs the congestion charge in a few years, so it's beneficial for them to gradually capture all the registrations/addresses/username/password/credit card details on the lead up to it - then it's easy to convert those into autopay accounts

just landed my self with a pcn for £80 if paid within 14 days and £160 after that. my car was not registered for the congestion charge discount , i honestly didn't know that it had to be . after a phone call i was told i had to pay the fine and register the car as they have no way of knowing my car is electric.

question is do i pay the fine or appeal it ? honestly was unaware that it had to be registered and have since done so , a simple dvla licence plate check reveals the car is electric and shows the co2 emissions as 0 g/km.

a similar thing happened to me although at the the time I was told by CC it would be ok if I just added the car to my account...When I got the PCN I called back and eventually was put through to a really helpful lady manager..

I explained that Tesla ONLY MAKE ELECTRIC CARS, invalidating their argument of knowing or not.

The PCN was cancelled ,I received refund for registration and she assured me this would be looked into and sorted for future Tesla drivers.This was back in March and she agreed the situation was ridiculous.

Speak to a manager and don’t take no for an answer.You have a zero emission vehicle and should NOT have to pay.

I am so sorry I don’t remember the name of the lady manager.

Reactions: Yev000 and rickyjb
a similar thing happened to me although at the the time I was told by CC it would be ok if I just added the car to my account...When I got the PCN I called back and eventually was put through to a really helpful lady manager..

I explained that Tesla ONLY MAKE ELECTRIC CARS, invalidating their argument of knowing or not.

The PCN was cancelled ,I received refund for registration and she assured me this would be looked into and sorted for future Tesla drivers.This was back in March and she agreed the situation was ridiculous.

Speak to a manager and don’t take no for an answer.You have a zero emission vehicle and should NOT have to pay.

I am so sorry I don’t remember the name of the lady manager.

good to hear they saw some sense in the end, i guess its better to get this sorted over the phone then.
ill chase this up with them and ill explain the situation , ill also ask why yearly registration is needed.

so they must use the dvla to obtain the make and model from the license plate as well as if its exempt for any other reasons (nhs vehicle ,blue badge holder ect). so why not look at the details listed for fuel type and emissions?

I think the answer is because they are in the business of charging people as much as possible, and it presumably pervades their whole culture. My guess is that they auto-register certain vehicle types (ambulances, etc) from DVLA records only because they are forced to by law.

Don't know if you remember back in the first days of CC, there was no auto-pay. You had to pay at various newsagents or (i think online too, but maybe not at the start). Initially if you didn't pay on the day you got a fine, no arguments. Then they implemented the second day rule a bit later.

But yeah, back then if you got home late and had no time to pop into a shop that took CC payments, you got a fine...

It's fascinating how they got a system that grabbed your license plate from a moving target, OCRed it, got you name and address, and mailed you a PNC flawlessly, but could not - and still can't - look up the same DVLA record to check the fuel type of the car. And that system worked from day 1 at issuing fines...

No reminders, no kiss my backside. First you know you missed a payment was a fine and a threat of a court summons. All over a £10 note

Only if those cameras recognise color, which they might not, especially when it's dark. And then everyone would do it to fool the system.

What would be really hilarious is if it could tell your fuel type when you were conning the system by coloring your plate green, but could not tell if your fuel type is electric when your plate is white/yellow.

Just taken delivery of my lease Model 3 and don't have a copy of the V5C so have taken a screenshot of the results of the vehicle search on https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and paid my £10.....will see if they approve this in lieu of the V5C. If not, I will try and get my lease company to send me a copy of the document.

Has anyone had any issues with their lease company providing the V5C?
Just to update, received my confirmation email that my M3 is now registered as exempt from congestion charge. Didn't send though a photo the V5 but just did a screenshot of the vehicle details from the DVLA checker website above.

Just to update, received my confirmation email that my M3 is now registered as exempt from congestion charge. Didn't send though a photo the V5 but just did a screenshot of the vehicle details from the DVLA checker website above.
What was the delay from sending online to getting confirmation. I sent on Saturday with a scan of the v5c and hoping to drive into London today but still no confirmation so ended up taking the tube . ☹️

What an stupid situation to put people in. I guess the alternative is to just pay the cc charge if it’s a one off? Can this be paid on an ad-hoc basis? Was never this complicated when I use to regularly drive into London. But I guess it’s deterring people from driving into London so doing it’s job.

What was the delay from sending online to getting confirmation. I sent on Saturday with a scan of the v5c and hoping to drive into London today but still no confirmation so ended up taking the tube . ☹️

I sent the screenshot of the DVLC website on Saturday and received confirmation yesterday....so only 3 working days for me and no need to chase my lease company for the V5C.

Reactions: Kitster
I submitted a PDF from the DVLA website to get my discount, and got it accepted yesterday with the letter.

When I log into the TFL website, it still says I need to pay when clicking on the vehicle (although it does also say I have a greener vehcile discount active)? Anyone else still having this issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kitster and rickyjb
I submitted a PDF from the DVLA website to get my discount, and got it accepted yesterday with the letter.

When I log into the TFL website, it still says I need to pay when clicking on the vehicle (although it does also say I have a greener vehcile discount active)? Anyone else still having this issue?

Still showing on mine too , how long ago did you register?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191114-123145~2.png
    Screenshot_20191114-123145~2.png
    142.7 KB · Views: 184
The TfL Congestion Charge website is atrocious. I’ve had a blue badge discount on one of my cars for several years, and I still get an invite to pay the charge if and when I log on.

To be honest though, driving on the congestion charge zone these days isn’t worth it, far to congested. Sitting there celebrating your ‘free’ trip while being overtaken by lethargic snails is a pretty empty victory.

Hi all

My experience with this process is the following: you need to (or at least I did!):

1. Register your vehicle with the London road user charging scheme. As per other posts this will automatically detect your Tesla as exempt for ULEZ / LEZ but not for the congestion charge (CC).
2. From your London road user charging scheme, register for AutoPay. £10 a year. Ensures you are covered for trips into the CC until you completed the steps below
3. From your London road user charging scheme, click "My discounts" > "Apply for a discount" > "Cleaner Vehicle Discount". You will be asked for a copy of your V5C. And another £10 a year.
4. 10 working days later, your vehicle will also be exempt from CC, so nothing to pay from there on (apart from the £10 a year).

• Informative
Reactions: stonecoldrmw