Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congestion charge exemption, do you need to register your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gosh, what a mess. I was fined for driving my Tesla last year as I just thought it was exempt (why they don't just do that with DVLA I don't know.) So I registered and appealed, saying I'm not from London, and they cancelled the penalty.

I am also glad I read this thread before driving in London last weekend. I followed the application process for the clean vehicle discount, but I didn’t have a V5 because I lease the car. I supplied a screenshot of the DVLA page and they accepted that. The response was pretty quick.

I am also glad I read this thread before driving in London last weekend. I followed the application process for the clean vehicle discount, but I didn’t have a V5 because I lease the car. I supplied a screenshot of the DVLA page and they accepted that. The response was pretty quick.
I didn't realise it had now gone 7 days a week!!
I usually only visit London once or twice a year at the weekends so never had to worry about it.
if you only go once registering the exemption costs nearly as much as paying the charge.

Ah, I seemed to have "jumped the gun" - the two emails I received were just acknowledgement of the two registrations
:eek:)
I have just received another email and the attached pdf file tells me in great detail that it is a Cleaner Vehicle Discount - Approval.
I now feel I'm getting good value for my £10.
Oh, and it adds at the bottom "... You will be sent details of how to renew your discount 25 days before it expires...."

• Funny
Reactions: rotor2k
I didn't realise it had now gone 7 days a week!!
I usually only visit London once or twice a year at the weekends so never had to worry about it.
if you only go once registering the exemption costs nearly as much as paying the charge.
Or put another way, it’s half price if you go twice. ;)

If you’re careful with your choice of parking spots, it works out so much cheaper than the train if there is a group of you.

Gosh, what a mess. I was fined for driving my Tesla last year as I just thought it was exempt (why they don't just do that with DVLA I don't know.) So I registered and appealed, saying I'm not from London, and they cancelled the penalty.
To provide any reader like me who found this thread after receiving a PCN a recent event; I too made the same mistake as Fraank, followed his post and received the letter this week to say the PCN was cancelled.

Or put another way, it’s half price if you go twice. ;)

If you’re careful with your choice of parking spots, it works out so much cheaper than the train if there is a group of you.
£15 per day now, (technically rising to £17.50 if you aren’t registered for autopay and forget to pay by midnight). So registering for the discount it’s actually 1/3 the cost if you only go twice. Also note that under the “temporary” measures the scheme runs until 10pm 7 days a week. Previously it stopped at 6pm and weekends were free.

Not that there is much to travel to central London for at the mo, unless you're desperate for takeaway from a five star Michelin restaurant or checking your eyesight ;)

If folks from out of London are driving in, just be aware that many inner London councils including Hackney and Islington have taken advantage of the post-COVID circumstances and rushed in introduction of so called Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) - you could inadvertently end up with a £65 PCN as roads which were previously fine have become no go zones, even for local residents! It’s a bit of a scam. So just beware.

If folks from out of London are driving in, just be aware that many inner London councils including Hackney and Islington have taken advantage of the post-COVID circumstances and rushed in introduction of so called Low Traffic Neighbourhood (LTN) - you could inadvertently end up with a £65 PCN as roads which were previously fine have become no go zones, even for local residents! It’s a bit of a scam. So just beware.

Thanks for this - I wasn't aware (live in London).

What does this mean? I.e. is it clear what roads you can go on or not? From what I can find online, they have physically blocked roads?

Thanks