Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congratulations to the Porsche Taycan folks as the current EV Cannonball Run record holder vehicle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It takes advantage of the Porsche's better highspeed efficiency as well as a lot of coordination with EA to make things work out. It's a stunt but also a reality. With that said, I suspect one Plaid could beat this simply by skipping charging stops.

Factory support on the car & charge network side.

"Fortunately, Conner tells us that he had the engineers at both Porsche and Electrify America on speed dial for this run. Despite it being New Year's Eve, he was able to work with the teams to ensure that the car was operating to its potential (despite the bugs) and the chargers he was visiting were both working and reliable."

Here's how it works with CCS charging, including Electrify America, ChargePoint, EVgo, EV Connect, etc. You call, they answer immediately, they can often fix it remotely. If they can't, you could be in trouble.

Tesla wildly exaggerates their highway range. I can't hit 351 miles at 55 mph. I could hit EPA hwy at 75 in a Jaguar EV. Reports for Porsche indicate the same as Jag.

What is the EPA range of a Model S as opposed to the "wildly exaggerated" range claimed by Tesla for the MS?

I haven't measured the true range on the MS LR+ and Tesla has not filed it with the EPA for 2021, only 2020.
2020 MS LR+ = 402 EPA filing.
2020 MX LR+ = 351 EPA filing. Actual range at 55 mph is ~320. 75mph = ~250.

Many people do not understand how EPA mileage ratings work:
IIRC: There are 5 EPA test cycles for cars, but EVs only have to do 3. The High Speed, Cold, and AC cycles are optional.
Then there is a mfr supplied correction factor which can be done multiple ways.

It is up to the mfr to test their cars and send data to the EPA. At random, the EPA can test cars to validate mfr supplied numbers. But I've yet to see the EPA validate EV numbers, only the Idaho Energy Dept lab which has nothing to do with the EPA.

I haven't measured the true range on the MS LR+ and Tesla has not filed it with the EPA for 2021, only 2020.
2020 MS LR+ = 402 EPA filing.
2020 MX LR+ = 351 EPA filing. Actual range at 55 mph is ~320. 75mph = ~250.

Many people do not understand how EPA mileage ratings work:
IIRC: There are 5 EPA test cycles for cars, but EVs only have to do 3. The High Speed, Cold, and AC cycles are optional.
Then there is a mfr supplied correction factor which can be done multiple ways.

It is up to the mfr to test their cars and send data to the EPA. At random, the EPA can test cars to validate mfr supplied numbers. But I've yet to see the EPA validate EV numbers, only the Idaho Energy Dept lab which has nothing to do with the EPA.
On the S as opposed to your X, the range is very close to the Tesla claim.

I had an X for an overnight test drive in mid Dec and I got about 25% less than the stated range at 100% SOC.

I wasn't trying to hypermile, just driving normally - 60- 75 mph (combination of highway and secondary roads) and I pre-warmed the car before leaving home (I had full regen). Temperature was close to freezing. Range showed 601 Km before I left (fully charged to 100%) and when I returned it, it was showing 124 km range left. I drove a total distance of 340 km with a few stops where the heating was on and the car wasn't moving (stopped to take some sunrise shots etc). So my theoretical range was about 450 km approximately (that's 25% less than the stated range). Personally I wouldn't consider this a wildly exaggerated claim.

EPA and WLTP are measures of efficiency across some mixed driving situations. They might be helpful in determining how much you will pay for electricity (who cares?), but they aren't very helpful in telling us what we actually want to know - the 'range' as in 'distance you can cover at a realistic highway speed.'

With the Taycan, it spends a large part of the test in unfortunate and implausible conditions (1st gear). In reality, ANYONE driving that car on the highway will be in 2nd.

Until the people in charge of gov. range tests grow a brain, I'll be relying on Bjorn Nyland, InsideEvs, etc. for real range figures.

EPA and WLTP are measures of efficiency across some mixed driving situations. They might be helpful in determining how much you will pay for electricity (who cares?), but they aren't very helpful in telling us what we actually want to know - the 'range' as in 'distance you can cover at a realistic highway speed.'

With the Taycan, it spends a large part of the test in unfortunate and implausible conditions (1st gear). In reality, ANYONE driving that car on the highway will be in 2nd.

Until the people in charge of gov. range tests grow a brain, I'll be relying on Bjorn Nyland, InsideEvs, etc. for real range figures.

It is entirely up to the MFR to submit the numbers and correction factor. There is no penalty for 'underestimating' whatsoever.
Hop in a 2020+ Jaguar I-Pace and drive it normally. It will easily exceed the 234mi EPA listing. It does NOT have a 2sp like the Porsche. Porsche Taycan owners report that the EPA range is very easy to hit.
There was a firmware OTA flash that boost the range and they never changed their filing.

Nyland is a good source, but most the EV $Blog$ger$ are terrible at instrumented tests. So are the normally reliable car mags when it comes to EVs. Range testing is time consuming and very boring to do it correctly so they don't. You can't do it in a single day like you can do performance tests.

The Taycan is wildly different on the EPA test, but virtually all other EVs miss the mark by 10-20% when considering average US highway speeds. I agree Model X is further off than most.

I currently have an e-tron and find that it's about the same % off as my Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
Seems like its gotten better. While the SC network is superior, many folks want to paint a picture that you mostly can’t charge non-Tesla EVs away from home.

2.5 hours total charging time. I should’ve kept a better log in my east coast journey but I’m sure I can dig up some data in the PCM. My Taycan was incredibly pleasant on our nearly 4000 mile jaunt.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
If I could afford a Taycan it would be my 1st choice in EVs. Just immaculately built, quiet, great range and power. I got to drive this beauty and I was blown away.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 60
Range should never be a single value. It should always be given in a 2-dimensional plot, with range on the Y-axis and speed on the X-axis. Adding more dimensions (outdoor temperature, etc.) is fine too.

Reactions: ICUDoc and Zer0t
Range should never be a single value. It should always be given in a 2-dimensional plot, with range on the Y-axis and speed on the X-axis. Adding more dimensions (outdoor temperature, etc.) is fine too.

Sure, more values would be great.

The problem is EPA doesn’t even have consistently on a single dimension, likely because they allow automakers to choose from multiple test cycles.

(FYI, the Bjorn tests use 2 speeds, 90 and 120 km, and cold/warm weather conditions)