Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congratulations to the Porsche Taycan folks as the current EV Cannonball Run record holder vehicle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very nice! What's the secret that it could beat Tesla time when its range is 203 miles while Tesla Model 3's range is 330 miles?
secret is that you should not look at EPA numbers and assume they are comparable, Porsche went very conservativ with thei EPA ranga. Their real world high speed consumption is very good not Tesla good but very close, add high charging speed with flat curve and it's possible to reach Tesla's time. Don't forget that there are many V2 SC so ¬270kW charging helps even more.

There's the kicker: Porsche can charge at Electrify America, while the Tesla Supercharger network is mainly V2 and thus lower performance.

Yup. Elon needs to up his game and install more V3 Superchargers along the NYC-LAX corridor. Namely I-80 to Colorado, I-70 to Utah, and then I-15 to SoCal. And get the new Roadster into production too...

I played with ABRP a bit yesterday. For my Model 3 LR RWD, similar to the previous record holder, and driven at 120% speed, ABRP recommended 24 stops for charging. Only 3 or 4 were V3. Total estimated charging time of 7 hours, 7 minutes. That would about match the Taycan time. As more V3 Superchargers get added, they could eventually knock an hour or two off the total charging time.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Congrats out to Conner and Porsche.:cool::cool:

If you haven't driven the Porsche Taycan with evil thoughts in your heart, you are missing out. For a big gal, she can dance. Very fun car to push hard, no surprises.

You can test the Porsche at the Los Angeles Porsche Experience Center and haul arse around their 'test track', drag strip, AutoX, and skid pans. I guarantee you'll have a memorable day. ;)

I do intend to test drive one this summer. We've got a plaid reservation but I do want to see if a Taycan could work. The Porsche faithful pay crazy $ for every option and don't seem to mind. I'm going to focus on the overall car and overall cost.

The other part is final appearance of a plaid MS. The refresh better be more than a simple nose job or NO $ FOR YOU Tesla!

• Funny
Reactions: bobby g

If you haven't driven the Porsche Taycan with evil thoughts in your heart, you are missing out. For a big gal, she can dance. Very fun car to push hard, no surprises.

You can test the Porsche at the Los Angeles Porsche Experience Center and haul arse around their 'test track', drag strip, AutoX, and skid pans. I guarantee you'll have a memorable day. ;)

Never driven any Porsche except an early 914-6, what would a test drive cost? $x? $10X if you show up in a Tesla?

It was less than a grand and I did arrive in my MX.
A 914 from the carburator era is slightly different from today's supercars. Sort of like comparing a 2010 Prius on snow tires to a 2021 M3P on slicks.

For cost I was kidding. It does sound like fun, maybe for my birthday. Hint. Hint (family just might see this)

The 914-6 I drive was in 1973, pretty respectable at that time.

I skimmed the article but it looks like they compared it to the previous time of the Model 3.

Also thought this was telling-

"Our engineers were able to monitor the charging sessions in real-time to ensure our 150 and 350-kilowatt chargers were performing optimally for the Porsche Taycan 4S on this record run," -Electrify America

I translate that as YMMV :rolleyes:

I drove it and loved the Taycan & this was only the 4S. It’s definitely premium with some clear advantages & some disadvantages depending on how you’re using your EV.