Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congratulations to the Porsche Taycan folks as the current EV Cannonball Run record holder vehicle!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool ... even though I prefer to stay away from fanatics of high speed race on public roads.
Taycan seems to be a good car and I would probably get one if I were rich. I don't think VW is really going after Tesla with Porsche. It may though go directly after Tesla's core buyer with future Audi, but that will be a different story.

It is also interesting to see that Taycan charges at 270 kW while Ford Mach-E barely reaches 46 kW (according to TFLCars). I wonder what VW will do to its EA network when ID.4 competes against Mach-E ... but that again is a different story.

From one of the comments from 'Friday_Drive' under: A Porsche Taycan Just Beat Tesla for the Fastest EV Cannonball Run Record

That’s not fair in some regards... you had Electrify America pin your entire route,
optimize their charging capabilities for a specific car on this run, worked with Porsche on the matter.

Meanwhile, a “off the shelf” Model 3 using Tesla’s SC network can make the required drive in 15 mins more.

Yea I’ll take the Tesla hands down. Then not to mention all the buggy stuff the author mentions
that the Porsche experienced.... had that been any other person making a trip across US,
that Porsche would be sitting in a Service Department at its local Porsche dealer...
I wonder what would be the score for the 520+ miles three-motor Plaid Model S ?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yeah, the bugginess sounded really, really bad. Much worse than I've experienced in either Tesla.

Also, Electrify America's network sounds great! As long as you are only doing the cannonball run. I live near New York City and the number of chargers would literally not suffice to get me to my ski area in Vermont or to Bar Harbor where we went for vacation this summer. I'm sure that will change, but Tesla has a huge head start.

Ignoring the speed thing and thinking about the experience, I was thinking about Porsche's long term chances against Tesla and I see a lot of parallels with Nokia's chances against Apple when the iphone came out.

There's something fundamentally different with how you look at cars after the model S. The closest parallel experience was when I switched from Nokia's top-end phone to the first iphone. It was completely different experience, and the reception on the iphone was horrific with less signal bars than the nokia in more places, but the ability to use two fingers to zoom in and out (even with the original bad pixelated images was life-changing).

The noted arguments about interior luxury and traditional car niceties have parallels in the nokia age but are not the real reason why in spite of such laughably spartan interiors., clunky suspension, too low approach and departure angles, the model S experience is still more enjoyable than a full luxury Benz S-class.

This is probably why the shorts and knowledgable traditional car enthusiasts don't get why TSLA is acting the way it is.

Reactions: electricar
@IndyToronto Please elaborate what you mean by "clunky suspension" in a Model S. The air suspension in my Model S is anything but clunky.

Same with the low approach and departure angles. I keep my suspension in the lowest setting and I don't have to do anything special on sharply elevated driveways or speed bumps. What are you trying to go over that requires a higher approach angle thnn the standard height setting?

I agree 100% with the "spartan" interior, but it's not such a bad place to be in either.

FWIW I have an order on a Plaid S. I’ll get that or the Roadster. I’m already planning for to beat the EV cross country record. The old record could easily be crushed with the new tech. This new record is only slightly faster. It would be a leisurely drive to take the record in Plaid.

Reactions: byeLT4
@IndyToronto Please elaborate what you mean by "clunky suspension" in a Model S. The air suspension in my Model S is anything but clunky.

Same with the low approach and departure angles. I keep my suspension in the lowest setting and I don't have to do anything special on sharply elevated driveways or speed bumps. What are you trying to go over that requires a higher approach angle thnn the standard height setting?

I agree 100% with the "spartan" interior, but it's not such a bad place to be in either.

How old is it, and how many miles does it have? It gets clunky over time (or at least it did for me).

It's about the same price as my Tesla and better overall. My Tesla is old, I could get a better one now for less.

The enticement for porsche is VW was already severely punished for software cheating range claims, but Tesla is still doing it. I'd still buy another if they would only stop.

The great news is competition means more companies are goin to have to catch up or give up. Tesla is stomping on them all.

The Porsche has better quality, comfort, performance and looks. Tesla has better value, range and software. Honestly if I could afford a Taycan Turbo S, I would trade in my car in a heartbeat. The Taycan is absolutely beautiful in person and I absolutely love seeing a company challenge Tesla to step up their game.
I would seriously consider getting the taycan over a panamera if Porsche had a supercharger network.

I know electrify America exists but it’s nowhere near as good as teslas network.

I bought an X because I need the size for my family, but if the Taycan was the same price I would have told my kids to suck it up and squeeze in the back.

Hah, my kids are still so small it's mostly my wife shuffling with the baby seats and boosters on the back seat - I just could not see myself withstanding her giving me remarks like "HOW much did you pay for this tuna can? You really couldn't afford a bigger car?" ;) In all honesty, the Taycan range also is a dealbraker, in addition to the tiny size. In Plaid we trust.