Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conn non owner but interested

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have wanted to buy the Tesla S since I saw it 3 years ago. Can I get a few answers ?
do all S have rear facing jump seats.
are leather seats standard?
panoramic roof ,sun roof ? How many different are there?
the dash ( in front of the wheel ) on ever use S I look at looks different. Why is that?
I have a 240 volt arc welding plug in my garage, will this work to charge the car? How long will it take?

Hi John,

I'm a CT owner. Most of these you can easily find on the testlamotors.com website (I think it's fun to just configure a car, but I'm weird).

To answer your questions: the jump seats are optional - I don't have them, same with the sunroof. So far as I know, there is only one sunroof option and that's the pano roof. It's awesome, but is an expensive option. The dash is user-configurable so everyone probably has different options set up when they are driving. Also, it changes when you are using the nav system. The 240 V plug should work just fine, I have a similar 240/40A plug in my garage that I use. As far as time to charge, it's a little tough to say. You almost never would charge from 0 --> full, but I'd say that if you want 100 miles worth of charge, you probably need 4 hours. The thing to remember is that most people just charge every night and start with a full "tank" in the morning.

Many of your questions have answers at Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles.

Here are some 'unofficial' answers from an owner of two.

1. Jump seats are an option available upon ordering the car.

2. You can also get textile seats although leather maybe standard on some models, check the options page.

3. The options are Pano roof, or body colored roof. There are no different style of the panoramic roof. There used to be a 'black roof' option, although I am not sure if that is still an option.

4. The right and left sides of the drivers console is customizable with options such as energy use, trip data, media info, Nav, etc.

5. If it is a NEMA 14-50, that will work quite well. The car actually comes with an adapter for the NEMA 14-50 outlet. If you have an older outlet you may need to buy the adapter that fits it. Our 85 charges from empty to full in about 9 hours. With a typical day of driving (70 miles) it charges in a bit under 2 1/2 hours.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been looking at this car for years. Thought it was a great idea from the first time I read about it..
I read everything I can. Where is the option page?( what options and $$$)
big question. why are people selling such low mileage cars. I see many under 2,000 miles.
that scares me.
I see someone got a flat and had to have it towed and get a loaner????
Not afraid of new tech. I bought a Subaru SVX , still have it.......

Last edited:
Where is the option page?( what options and $$$)

Select Model S and then Order at the Tesla site. You'll get to the design studio where you can play around with the options all you want.

big question. why are people selling such low mileage cars. I see many under 2,000 miles.

I believe most of those folks that sell it with low miles purchased the car to resell it for profit. Some people have had significant changes. One person got transferred to Asia for a year and didn't want the car to just sit unused so he sold it.

I see someone got a flat and had to have it towed and get a loaner????

It doesn't come with a spare, so if the tire is ruined more than can be fixed with a plug-kit, there isn't much choice (although some owners do carry spares but usually only on trips.) Apparently car manufacturers believe tires no longer get flats as Tesla isn't the only maker to go spareless. All my flats have been of the slow-leak variety.

Not at all. Just watching and expecting to see the owners manual either on the screen or in DVD form. Most computers etc don't come with owners manus. On line or in software on unit. Still love the S

Owner's manual is available on the main console.

As for the number of low mileage sales, I have heard of a number of people who ordered the 60kWh pack to want to upgrade to the 85. A few have also upgraded from the 85 to P85 or P85 to P+.

Just watched the utube intro to Testla walk through... Wow u need a class for that. Noticed no DVD or CD player....

That's actually a good thing as in-car DVD/CD players don't last all that long. Instead of them, you just plug a thumb drive into the USB port. Far more reliable plus it's cheap and easy to replace if it should ever fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all. Just watching and expecting to see the owners manual either on the screen or in DVD form. Most computers etc don't come with owners manus. On line or in software on unit. Still love the S

The owners manual is on the screen. That video was from an earlier software release.

What is P+? What scares me is the joke about " what if windows made a car" also what if this company does not follow through. Where will I get it fixed? Who would buy it? I think about Tucker, Henderson motorcycle,and Indian.
someone mentioned service stations. They really don't need a lift for much. They could almost set up in back of a Staples or Best.buys .< Lol>:wink: Are any of the components module,( plug in)

What is P+?
Short primer:
P85+: P85 with a suspension upgrade.
P85: S85 with some performance upgrades.
S85: S60 with a battery capacity upgrade, and a performance upgrade.
S60: The current base model.
S40: A temporarily offered bargain base model that has a battery capacity limitation enforced via software/firmware, but is otherwise very similar to an S60.

What is P+? What scares me is the joke about " what if windows made a car" also what if this company does not follow through. Where will I get it fixed? Who would buy it? I think about Tucker, Henderson motorcycle,and Indian.
someone mentioned service stations. They really don't need a lift for much. They could almost set up in back of a Staples or Best.buys .< Lol>:wink: Are any of the components module,( plug in)

Are you really concerned about the future of Tesla? Tucker only made 51 cars. Tesla has built and sold more than 25,000 cars in about 1 1/2 years. Now selling to North America, Europe, and China.

I drive an SVX. They made 14,000 in 7 years. Trying to get parts is almost impossible. We are canibilizing cars and retrofitting parts to stay on the road. Since there is nothing that would be useful taken from a normal car. I hope with all my heart and soul that this car works out. It is setting a real high goal for others to try and achieve. Someone had to do it and I am so happy someone did it right. I will most likely sit back for a other year. I hope they hurry and come out with the next gen. Hopefully when production picks up the $ will come down to the $50,000 area.

I think there are a lot of people out there like John who really want this car but are conservative in nature and worried about Tesla's long term viability. To me, that's not a bad thing. I don't see Tesla going anywhere but up and once it gets a few more years under its belt, and many more cars sold, a lot of these "Johns" will be jumping aboard. I just think the buyers in the first few years should get an automatic "first in line" at the Supercharger stations for taking the risk and "conservative Johns" should be pushed to the back of the line and forced to wear chicken outfits while charging... ;)