TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Connect to private VPN server

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Mr.D, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the browser to a personal/private VPN server?
    I am running a smart house that uses a web interface to control the house. If connected to my private VPN server I can access the LAN and get to the web interface and control my house. Is this possible? It would be nice to control it from the cars web browser.

2. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Not without rooting the processor running on the CID, no.

Also, your phone / tablet probably has a more functional Web browser than what's in the car.

Bruce.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D Member

Yes, my phone has a much better web browser :) But if the browser improves this would be nice to have.
    Thanks for your quick reply! Saved me from a lot of googling :)

4. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

This is one of the reasons I wish Tesla would integrate Amazon Alexa which would be a simple way to give me voice control over most of my house.

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Last thing Tesla wants is all that traffic (Alexa/Smart home) through their VPN, or all that traffic over the LTE (if it was split tunnelled...). :D I think really we have to assume the answer is mount a phone or tablet, and use our own LTE for data. I already use my phone in a ProClip for better Nav/TurnByTurn.

6. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

I'm sure. It is just sad when less car manufacturers are rolling it out like Ford to the Fusion.

7. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Im curious if a website exists that can tunnel web urls through a VPN.
    Do you have a gui made that controls your home from a local website? OPENHAB comes to mind