Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connect to Wifi bothers me for the future of my system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Connect to Wi-Fi messages keep coming in for my system that was installed in May 2021. We have a cabin in the North Sierras close to Dodge Ridge area.
We don’t live there the full time but spend a reasonable time when possible. Having so many trees around means the power is off sometimes 10 mins or sometimes a couple of days. Having the Powerwall made a huge difference since we don’t even notice the switch over. The problem is; after 4 hours of grid down cable internet stops working. I guess due to Xfinity amplifiers depends on grid.
The powerwall communication depends on the cellular. If I had a Gateway 1, not being able to upgrade the cellular radio would be a major issue for me.

One solution that I can think of using a 4G/LTE cellular modem (like Netgear LM1200- 500Mb TMobile service is $5 a month) on the Ethernet port while Wi-Fi still connects to normal internet (when available). The question would be if Ethernet can be configured as a failover when Wifi can not contact the mothership.

Onur

The sequence is by default Ethernet, WiFi, then cellular. I don't recall seeing anything in the installer menu to change that, but there are definitely more accomplished folks out there who may know a way to reorder it.

Rather than an LTE modem, have you thought about a cell booster? I have no knowledge which cell network Powerwalls are on.

Or just ignore the messages...

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Oceanwolf