Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected but "Connect to Wi-Fi to download"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For several days my car has had the amber download mini-icon at the top of the main screen, which when touched goes to a status page indicating that 2020.24.6.11 is available and to connect to Wi-Fi. But it is and has been connected whenever it's in my garage, which is the majority of the time. The connection strength symbol implies 5/5. The iOS app also indicates a software update is available for download, with the same advice to connect.

There was a short thread on this issue last year, which ended with no solution. It also came up in another thread about a specific update version, with anecdotal reports of success when parked at a service center. My experience is that updates that implement something of use to me are quite rare -- I don't play games in the car -- so I'm not willing to drive to a SCtr just for an update. I'm willing to post this inquiry, though!

Have you tried doing a scroll wheel reset? I had an update waiting for a while and even tracked that my car had downloaded about half a gig of data but it wasn't updating. I did the reset and that seemed to get things moving along.

We had the same problem with a Model Y that we took delivery of in June. It was on Wi-fi but we still got the message that it needed to connect to Wi-fi in order to download the update. We opened a service request in the app (Service->Software->Update) and Tesla remotely set the car to reinstall the firmware. Once that completed, the car was able to download the new firmware a day or two later.

We had the same problem with a Model Y that we took delivery of in June. It was on Wi-fi but we still got the message that it needed to connect to Wi-fi in order to download the update. We opened a service request in the app (Service->Software->Update) and Tesla remotely set the car to reinstall the firmware. Once that completed, the car was able to download the new firmware a day or two later.
Good idea! I now have a mobile service appt. scheduled 19 days hence. Will update this thread as events, if any, unfold.

I have a similar but not identical problem with 2020.24.6.11. My car successfully downloaded and installed the update, got the release notes, the app says it's running that version of the software, but it's been "downloading" the same version for a week and a half now, stuck at 100%.

I tried the online chat but they were useless as tits on a bull, said they'd escalate to some internal group that would get back to me in 5-7 days, which I take to be Tesla speak for "have a nice day".

In the meantime I scheduled an appointment for MCU2 upgrade next week, so just gonna live with it 'til then.

I have a similar but not identical problem with 2020.24.6.11. My car successfully downloaded and installed the update, got the release notes, the app says it's running that version of the software, but it's been "downloading" the same version for a week and a half now, stuck at 100%.

I tried the online chat but they were useless as tits on a bull, said they'd escalate to some internal group that would get back to me in 5-7 days, which I take to be Tesla speak for "have a nice day".

In the meantime I scheduled an appointment for MCU2 upgrade next week, so just gonna live with it 'til then.
My car did the same as yours, downloaded and installed 2020.24.6.11 but now says downloading (100%). I tried rebooting and power off/on without it clearing. I'm hoping the next mass release version will clear this.