Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions National Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent heard of this, but there is a pretty much zero chance that I personally would agree to the utility pulling from my battery to power anything. I dont have an issue (of course) with excess solar going toward "whatever" but im not down for pulling from my battery for anything thats outside of my house
Has anyone had their battery tapped into for the now summer season for the National Grid program?

there is a less than zero chance that I would ever participate in something like this, even if it were brought to california. Before i got my powerwall, I was enrolled in a summer program with my utility (SCE) to allow them to "adjust my nest thermostat during the summer to reduce load". I also was in a program that let the utility potentially cycle my AC during the summer to reduce load.

This ended up being horrific during the summer, as they did both. turn my nest thermostat temperature up, ensuring that my AC did not come on earlier, then cycling my AC off in the afternoon, with me not being able to turn it back on until like 8pm. By 8pm during july / august, it was 85-90 degrees inside my home (days were in the low 100s outside).

I couldnt get out of those programs fast enough, and was a driver for me getting solar in 2015. I dont want anyone or anything but me controlling access to my powerwall, and even "several hundred dollars a year" are not enough to change my mind. If the program paid for 2 powerwalls for me, then I might consider it, but failing that, something like this is a definite, hard no for me (its not available here anyway though).

Curious, OP... are you enrolled in this, or just trying to find out if someone else on here is?

I havent heard of this, but there is a pretty much zero chance that I personally would agree to the utility pulling from my battery to power anything. I dont have an issue (of course) with excess solar going toward "whatever" but im not down for pulling from my battery for anything thats outside of my house

there is a less than zero chance that I would ever participate in something like this, even if it were brought to california. Before i got my powerwall, I was enrolled in a summer program with my utility (SCE) to allow them to "adjust my nest thermostat during the summer to reduce load". I also was in a program that let the utility potentially cycle my AC during the summer to reduce load.

This ended up being horrific during the summer, as they did both. turn my nest thermostat temperature up, ensuring that my AC did not come on earlier, then cycling my AC off in the afternoon, with me not being able to turn it back on until like 8pm. By 8pm during july / august, it was 85-90 degrees inside my home (days were in the low 100s outside).

I couldnt get out of those programs fast enough, and was a driver for me getting solar in 2015. I dont want anyone or anything but me controlling access to my powerwall, and even "several hundred dollars a year" are not enough to change my mind. If the program paid for 2 powerwalls for me, then I might consider it, but failing that, something like this is a definite, hard no for me (its not available here anyway though).

Curious, OP... are you enrolled in this, or just trying to find out if someone else on here is?
We are different in RI we have 1-1 NEM so I don't need my batteries for using time based control. They are just for backup purposes only. I end up getting about $1200 per battery for 60 discharges per year. They also give a 0% loan for doing the program. For me its worth 60 discharges for my electric company basically to pay for my batteries over a 5 year period.

It sounds like either there was something wrong or the way your utility managed that program was terrible. I am enrolled in a similar program with my utility (duke energy in Florida), but when they activate it they will shut off my AC for no more than 16.5 minutes in any 30 minute period. This way the AC is still able to keep the house cool. I’ve been enrolled in this program for 5 years and I’m sure it’s been activated during that time, but I have never once in 5 years noticed it.

We are different in RI we have 1-1 NEM so I don't need my batteries for using time based control. They are just for backup purposes only. I end up getting about $1200 per battery for 60 discharges per year. They also give a 0% loan for doing the program. For me its worth 60 discharges for my electric company basically to pay for my batteries over a 5 year period.
Boy, that's about $1.5/kWh.
Do you get a 1099 tax form to pay taxes on this $1200?

Boy, that's about $1.5/kWh.
Do you get a 1099 tax form to pay taxes on this $1200?
Yes when you apply for the program through Tesla they give you a tax form to fill out. The way I look at it will receive about 12k over 5 years for my 2 powerwalls. I also received the federal 30% tax credit on the powerwalls. They end up being free when I apply the amount i make per unit towards my 0% HEAT loan. It makes getting the powerwalls a no brainer here in RI

Yes when you apply for the program through Tesla they give you a tax form to fill out. The way I look at it will receive about 12k over 5 years for my 2 powerwalls. I also received the federal 30% tax credit on the powerwalls. They end up being free when I apply the amount i make per unit towards my 0% HEAT loan. It makes getting the powerwalls a no brainer here in RI

I would do it if it made my powerwalls free, because then the utility would be paying to install them and I would just benefit from it on the side. If they had such a program in California, they would be sold out of powerwalls for several years, lol.

Reactions: charlesj
@jakestgermain How long are each events with National Grid and what is the battery level at the end of the event? I am with Eversource in CT, and the event lasts 3 hours and my batteries are drawn down to 24% (gateway SoE). I am planning to unenroll at the end of this season because it makes no sense to have only 14% left in batteries in case of power outage. I learned that Powerwalls shutdown at 10% level in a power outage. Eversource has been calling for events every single day from Monday-Friday since July. It seems that they are too aggressive with this program. I wished there was a way to participate and provide the battery % I would be willing to reach.

@jakestgermain How long are each events with National Grid and what is the battery level at the end of the event? I am with Eversource in CT, and the event lasts 3 hours and my batteries are drawn down to 24% (gateway SoE). I am planning to unenroll at the end of this season because it makes no sense to have only 14% left in batteries in case of power outage. I learned that Powerwalls shutdown at 10% level in a power outage. Eversource has been calling for events every single day from Monday-Friday since July. It seems that they are too aggressive with this program. I wished there was a way to participate and provide the battery % I would be willing to reach.
Since the program is based on the amount of power you supply, it seems like it would be logical to offer that option. Is that a restriction from your utility, or just a feature missing from Tesla's implementation? It would be nice if the Tesla app could be configured to work with your reserve level, so if you set it at 50%, it would stop discharging at that point.

Since the program is based on the amount of power you supply, it seems like it would be logical to offer that option. Is that a restriction from your utility, or just a feature missing from Tesla's implementation? It would be nice if the Tesla app could be configured to work with your reserve level, so if you set it at 50%, it would stop discharging at that point.
My Powerwalls are setup as backup only, so reserve is set to 100%. But when the event is activated, the battery mode switches to the grid services mode, and it starts discharging (Powerwall are not allowed to discharge more than home use during regular modes). Tesla contract says it will maximize performance/incentive, so they seem to have set the target to discharge 3kW per Powerwall, and by the end of the 3 hour event, the Powerwall reaches 24%. There is no way to control this at the moment. I have read in other places that the power utility calls for only 2 hour event, instead of 3 hour event. For a 2 hour event, the battery level would reach around 50%. But since the incentive is based on Power and not Energy, the utility does not have any motivation to reduce the time of event (it pays the same regardless). At the same time, if this program doesn't convince enough people to participates because it is too aggressive, then it won't achieve its purpose.

I am also in CT and have my install scheduled for 9/30/20 for 4 powerwalls along with a contract with connected solutions. This seems like total overkill if there are 5 events per week through Eversource. What are the hours that the events normally occur? Have you received any compensation yet from Eversource for being signed up for connected solutions?

I am also in CT and have my install scheduled for 9/30/20 for 4 powerwalls along with a contract with connected solutions. This seems like total overkill if there are 5 events per week through Eversource. What are the hours that the events normally occur? Have you received any compensation yet from Eversource for being signed up for connected solutions?
In summer, Eversource schedules between 30 to 60 events. In winter, there will only be 5 events. Since they started calling these events in July, only 1 or 2 of the days were skipped because weather was on cool side. The events start at 4PM until 7PM, except for 1 day where it started at 3PM-6PM. So there isn't enough solar production after event ends to recharge the batteries.
The program started this year in CT, and compensation is paid after each season is over. Probably end of the year, or by start of the year.
I have been contacting both Eversource and Tesla to figure out what I should do, because I plan to unroll after this season is over if I don't have enough charge in battery left after the event. Eversource responded today and told me that when I sign up, I can specify how much charge I want to be reserved for these events. I am following up with Tesla because I didn't have this choice when I signed up. If I can set the reserve to 60%, then I might stay in the program and be content with a reduced compensation (probably half of full compensation).

In summer, Eversource schedules between 30 to 60 events. In winter, there will only be 5 events. Since they started calling these events in July, only 1 or 2 of the days were skipped because weather was on cool side. The events start at 4PM until 7PM, except for 1 day where it started at 3PM-6PM. So there isn't enough solar production after event ends to recharge the batteries.
The program started this year in CT, and compensation is paid after each season is over. Probably end of the year, or by start of the year.
I have been contacting both Eversource and Tesla to figure out what I should do, because I plan to unroll after this season is over if I don't have enough charge in battery left after the event. Eversource responded today and told me that when I sign up, I can specify how much charge I want to be reserved for these events. I am following up with Tesla because I didn't have this choice when I signed up. If I can set the reserve to 60%, then I might stay in the program and be content with a reduced compensation (probably half of full compensation).
Eversource did not have anything stipulated saying you can request the amount of charge you want reserved. I signed the connected solutions paperwork 3 weeks ago and do no recall seeing that at all. I also was told people are reimbursed quarterly from Eversource. How many PWs do you have?

Eversource did not have anything stipulated saying you can request the amount of charge you want reserved. I signed the connected solutions paperwork 3 weeks ago and do no recall seeing that at all. I also was told people are reimbursed quarterly from Eversource. How many PWs do you have?
Did you get the paperwork from Tesla or did you do it directly with Eversource?
My contract with Tesla says this about payment: "Your Powerwall’s performance will be calculated by your utility at the end of each season
(Summer and Winter). Tesla will collect money from your utility and pay you, the Powerwall owner, an incentive based on this performance."

Eversource mentioned that I should follow-up with Tesla to change the reserve level. I sent an email to Tesla and will follow-up with a call next week if I don't hear back.
I have 2 PWs with 12% degradation (installed March 2019).
How much reserve are you planning to leave?

Did you get the paperwork from Tesla or did you do it directly with Eversource?
My contract with Tesla says this about payment: "Your Powerwall’s performance will be calculated by your utility at the end of each season
(Summer and Winter). Tesla will collect money from your utility and pay you, the Powerwall owner, an incentive based on this performance."

Eversource mentioned that I should follow-up with Tesla to change the reserve level. I sent an email to Tesla and will follow-up with a call next week if I don't hear back.
I have 2 PWs with 12% degradation (installed March 2019).
How much reserve are you planning to leave?
I received the paperwork through tesla who in turn submitted it to Eversource. It looks like if you email [email protected] with "unenroll" in the subject line at the end of a season they will take you off of the program and you still will get paid for that season.
ConnectedSolutions | Tesla

As for my planned reserve supply I have no real clue yet. This is all fairly new to me and after loosing power for 6.5 days 2 weeks ago due to the tropical storm id like my 4 powerwalls to be nearly as full as possible to power my entire home as needed. Something im going to look into and figure out before next weeks install.