Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

I have 3 PWs and my check was $1852.... Looking at the Tesla App, I had 28 days of events over the 4 months (still not clear how many 0kW event days I should add) and a total of 365.7 kW exported, so (365.7kW/28 days) * $180 = ~$2350... I must of had a handful of 0kW event days bringing my average down 🤔
The 365.7 from the app you are using is kWh (kilo watt hours).

The incentive is based on the average of instantaneous kw output. That is different from kWh.

So instead of using the 365.7 above you would have a baseline of 5kw per Powerwall for a total of 15kw per event. Then 15kw x $180 incentive is a baseline incentive of $2700. This might go a touch up or down if your ever had during the events was more or less than that 15kw.

Using your $1852 incentive we can calculate your average contribution for the season was 3.43kw

$1852 / 3 PWs = $617.33 incentive per PW
$617.33 / $180 = 3.43kw average contribution

Upvote 0
So in my case in Eversource MA, I got a check for $2116. I have 3 powerwalls and the events were mostly 10kW discharge rate events usually lasting 3 hours. There were some 15kW events that were only 2 hours long. My Eversource MA rate is listed as $180/kW so it looks like my average discharge rate was 11.75. Actually my discharge rate must have averaged a bit higher if Tesla got their cut of the payment. This last payment came directly from Eversource so who knows. Too bad they aren't more transparent about their calculations. In any case, I am yielding about what I expected and these $2K+ checks really put a dent in the cost of the PWs.

The RI rate of $320/kW sounds great for you folks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 365.7 from the app you are using is kWh (kilo watt hours).

The incentive is based on the average of instantaneous kw output. That is different from kWh.

So instead of using the 365.7 above you would have a baseline of 5kw per Powerwall for a total of 15kw per event. Then 15kw x $180 incentive is a baseline incentive of $2700. This might go a touch up or down if your ever had during the events was more or less than that 15kw.

Using your $1852 incentive we can calculate your average contribution for the season was 3.43kw

$1852 / 3 PWs = $617.33 incentive per PW
$617.33 / $180 = 3.43kw average contribution
Thanks this makes sense.... I really wish the Tesla app would have more details around this.

Upvote 0
Actually the latest email I got from Eversource says my rate is $225/kW. 2116/225=9.4kW average. Now that I think about it I believe that all of my summer events were 10kW discharges.
I think based on last years rates in MA it was $225/kW and after Tesla takes their cut we net $180/kW in the summer and $50/kW and after Tesla takes their cut $40/kW in the winter from what I understood (I could be misremembering). Going back to the mass save website I see its been updated in 2022 with $275/kW summer for National Grid, (still $225 for Eversource)

Upvote 0
I think based on last years rates in MA it was $225/kW and after Tesla takes their cut we net $180/kW in the summer and $50/kW and after Tesla takes their cut $40/kW in the winter from what I understood (I could be misremembering). Going back to the mass save website I see its been updated in 2022 with $275/kW summer for National Grid, (still $225 for Eversource)

The rates are locked for 5 years from interconnect agreement. My system was installed with the previous rates of $225/kw for National Grid which Tesla took a cut of and gave us $180/kw.
Those rate hikes are nice.

Upvote 0
@kp80 I noticed on that doc you linked that they also did away with the winter season.
Since when I signed up there was a winter season, and we did get paid for them in the past, last year we got a letter saying that they were doing away with the winter season. And so far this winter we have not had any events. So “winter season” really is dead.
I guess this makes sense since we rarely get enough sun to fill the powerwalls daily this time of year. But it is a few hundred dollars we will no longer get every year.

Upvote 0
@kp80 I noticed on that doc you linked that they also did away with the winter season.
Since when I signed up there was a winter season, and we did get paid for them in the past, last year we got a letter saying that they were doing away with the winter season. And so far this winter we have not had any events. So “winter season” really is dead.
I guess this makes sense since we rarely get enough sun to fill the powerwalls daily this time of year. But it is a few hundred dollars we will no longer get every year.
I noticed that as well. I dont think I got any info about winter season going away but don't see it in this new mass save link either so I guess its gone. But given we were locked in for 5 years, how is that possible? Don't they have to honor it for the term? I feel like if they wont, they should at least give us the new rate of $275 for the summer 🤔.... I got my first winter check last year and while I had my system installed 1/2 through the season, I still got a check from Tesla for ~$300 for the events that took place in the winter.

Upvote 0
So did people in MA get checks from EverSource or Tesla?

A friend in RI got a Tesla check but my mom in MA got a check from Eversource without much indication of its purpose.
My checks for Connect Solutions have always come from Tesla, including this last one for summer 2021. My utility is National Grid.

I think it even says in the agreement we signed that the payments come from Tesla. They are generic checks cut from the accounts payable department at “Tesla Energy Operations” with no indication or information otherwise what it is for.

Upvote 0
My checks for Connect Solutions have always come from Tesla, including this last one for summer 2021. My utility is National Grid.

I think it even says in the agreement we signed that the payments come from Tesla. They are generic checks cut from the accounts payable department at “Tesla Energy Operations” with no indication or information otherwise what it is for.
Yeah, that's what we had expected but we got this strange check from EverSource... and nothing from Tesla yet, no email, no communication, nothing

Upvote 0
I believe if you are enrolled in MA SMART program, you will also get a check from National Grid directly. Tesla emailed me last month saying they forgot to fill out some paperwork for this and asked me to sign some docusign forms (W9 and one other) and when I called the SMART phone number they said checks would be sent to me backdated from my program enrollment until today directly from my energy provider and would continue monthly thereafter. Tesla has sent me the checks specific to the PW energy sell back specific to Connected Solutions program.

Upvote 0
I believe if you are enrolled in MA SMART program, you will also get a check from National Grid directly. Tesla emailed me last month saying they forgot to fill out some paperwork for this and asked me to sign some docusign forms (W9 and one other) and when I called the SMART phone number they said checks would be sent to me backdated from my program enrollment until today directly from my energy provider and would continue monthly thereafter. Tesla has sent me the checks specific to the PW energy sell back specific to Connected Solutions program.
SMART is a different program and handles completely separately by the utilities. SMART checks or direct deposits come from your utility. Tesla is not involved in an ongoing basis with SMART, their only involvement may be helping file the paperwork as your installer.

Upvote 0
Can anyone that has their Powerwalls enrolled in ConnectedSolutions in MA take a screenshot of the Tesla App for me? Do you see the "Grid Services" / "Virtual Power Plant" icon or any other indicator that your system is enrolled?
This is what v4.7.1 of the app looks like for me.

Attachments

• F74F62D8-74E6-4149-98E3-D04287EEE996.jpeg
    F74F62D8-74E6-4149-98E3-D04287EEE996.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 379
  • AD793FDD-B7AF-48CD-98DC-07C0BD3F05EC.jpeg
    AD793FDD-B7AF-48CD-98DC-07C0BD3F05EC.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Love
Reactions: jlv1 and appleguru
Upvote 0