Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected Solutions Real-World Experiences (MA - National Grid / EverSource)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone

I was hoping that folks in Massachusetts could share their real-world experiences with Connected Solutions so far this year.

Asking because my mom lives in SE MA and has EverSource - her experience so far this year has been a bit disappointing. She's had overwhelming 3-hr events (18/20) with EverSource calling events almost every weekday for the last 3 weeks even when it was cool weather and/or cloudy out. This has resulted in only a 6.6 average kW discharge for the season which is a good deal lower than the relatively conservative estimates I'd made. Perhaps my estimates were too optimistic but also perhaps it has something to do with my estimates being based on National Grid events, as opposed to EverSource. Of course, they were also based on last summer so there's that possibility too.

So... could anyone share how their events are so far this year? I live in Bellingham and have National Grid - anyone out this way? I ask predominantly because I was counting on CS as a major offset to the cost of the PWs and this is weakening that offset.

Many thanks in advance!

Did Tesla instal your Solar/PW? I had 2 PWs installed by a 3rd party at the end of last year, and am told that I’m registered for ConnectedSolutions with Eversource, but don’t see that callout in my app.
I’m in the same boat. I would have been eligible for the winter season, but eversource cancelled it. So June 1 will be my first eligible period post PTO. While I got a confirmation from eversource that I’m enrolled, I have no confirmation or indication from tesla that things are all set on their end (and have received no response yet to my emails asking for confirmation).

Upvote 0
my system has been enrolled in connectedsolutions and have been participating and Getting paid. There is no indication of virtual power plant in app 4.7.1 on my iPhone. I wouldn’t worry about that not showing up in the app. I am on Eversource.
So your app does *not* look like @jhn_ ’s?

@jhn_, what utility do you have / where are you located?

Upvote 0

National Grid. And yes it was installed by Tesla in 2020.

Reactions: appleguru
Upvote 0

My app does not look like @jjn_’s. Not virtual power plant. iOS app, Eversource utility

Reactions: appleguru
Upvote 0
Nope. Eversource has been a pain to get information from.
Agreed. Reading the tea leaves (Eg, Eversources' discontinuance of the winter program with no notice and their push (in their public MA filings) to get funding via rate hikes to build out their own utility scale battery/ESS network), I have come to a similar conclusion and am getting very concerned that our significant investment in powerwalls will not have the expected ROI long term if they really do go this direction and leave us high and dry. *hopefully* those of us already in the program can stay in it long term regardless, but we'll see :/

Upvote 0
I just got an email right now:
As a member of Tesla’s Virtual Power Plant through ConnectedSolutions, your Powerwall will contribute clean energy to the power grid when it is needed most. These contribution events will occur between 2 PM and 7 PM from now through September 30, 2022, with the first event expected in the next few days.​

Reactions: solarAddict
Upvote 0
I just got an email right now:
As a member of Tesla’s Virtual Power Plant through ConnectedSolutions, your Powerwall will contribute clean energy to the power grid when it is needed most. These contribution events will occur between 2 PM and 7 PM from now through September 30, 2022, with the first event expected in the next few days.​
Yep. Got it too. I'm NGrid customer. Or supplier ? 🙃

Upvote 0
I expect that there might be an event tomorrow on Eversource for me here in MA. I received a notification that they are requesting to limit my chargepoint evse tomorrow afternoon. This often (but not always) corresponds to a ConnectedSolutions discharge event. I'll post again tomorrow. I also received the Tesla VPP email.

Upvote 0
I just got an email that I am now enrolled in the Connected Solutions program. I did not sign up, looking at the support page, it is not in California, so I am hoping it was an error. Anyone else not on the East coast get this email?

I emailed the support and asked to be unenrolled.

Upvote 0
I just got an email that I am now enrolled in the Connected Solutions program. I did not sign up, looking at the support page, it is not in California, so I am hoping it was an error. Anyone else not on the East coast get this email?

I emailed the support and asked to be unenrolled.
Sounds like maybe there was a typo when enrolling the serial number(s) of someone else’s PWs on the east coast. Hope you get that cleared up.

Upvote 0