Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connected to Wifi but software update not downloading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
I’m super happy with my Tesla Model 3 but I’m having problems with the software updates. When I received the car I noticed that the download haf already started but had only 1 or 2 % in progress. Maybe it had started at the Telsa delivery point before I received my car. I connect to my home Wifi with 3-4 bars but nothing happends. I can use the wifi for youtube, netflix and spotify.

So as you can see in the picture, the car is connected, but at software updates section it says I need to connect to Wifi.
I tried restarting the car and the computer.

CB3C4C87-AA44-4893-BBFF-53AA4A310EDA.jpeg

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Launch the Tesla Web browser from the car display and access sites like SpeedTest.net, Fast.com, SpeedCheck.org,

Look at the download and the upload speeds and compare with your smartphone.

The speed of the Tesla browser might be lesser than your smartphone, but check that the upload is not hanging.

I was able to access the Internet and Youtube, however I had a very slow upload speed.

I installed a WiFi extender in my garage and this solved my download problem.

Launch the Tesla Web browser from the car display and access sites like SpeedTest.net, Fast.com, SpeedCheck.org,

Look at the download and the upload speeds and compare with your smartphone.

The speed of the Tesla browser might be lesser than your smartphone, but check that the upload is not hanging.

I was able to access the Internet and Youtube, however I had a very slow upload speed.

I installed a WiFi extender in my garage and this solved my download problem.

thank you for your suggestions.
Here you see the resaults. Looks like a good upload speed.
D82697BF-9D79-42F6-80DF-3991F292F4EC.jpeg

Reactions: Watts_Up
2.4GHz or 5 for your WiFi router? My car prefers 2.4, connects to both but downloads (from garage) only on the 2.4 even though both show full strength indicators on the dash
Thank you for your suggestion. My wifi in the garage comes from Apple Airport Extreme. I'm not sure if I can turn off 5 GHz. I turned off n mode so now it broadcasting in a, b and g

It is probably hung up and will require Tesla to reset the download. You can do this by using the app Schedule Service>Software>Update and explain. They can reset it so it will download.

EDIT: Also it says 4.2 is trying to download. Not sure but being a little older not sure if Tesla would still be sending this out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilyak
It is probably hung up and will require Tesla to reset the download. You can do this by using the app Schedule Service>Software>Update and explain. They can reset it so it will download.

EDIT: Also it says 4.2 is trying to download. Not sure but being a little older not sure if Tesla would still be sending this out.
Thank you! Thats probably the reason. When I did that, next appointment on Iceland is 8th of June. I think I will just stop by next week

Reactions: lUtriaNt
i got my car a couple weeks ago and within 2 days i had 3 updates pushed (FSD performance pup). i DID see an update stall as you are seeing OP. what i did was to put the car to sleep (turn off sentry) and the next day after waking it up it would "restart" the download. i think the download hangs when you leave wifi and handoff to cellular and that handshake does not pick up the download when you get back on wifi.

what did work for me is just putting the car into sleep waking up and then letting the download start and not driving the car (and in doing so wifi does not pause/get turned off) . these downloads are quite a few GBs and in one week I ate up like 16GBs of data due to stalled updates, re-starting updates, map updates, firmware updates.

i use an old phone in my car that broadcasts 5ghz (tmobile)to the model 3 and i have a wireless pad so the phone is always charging and putting out the hotspot (i live in an apartment with an enclosed garage so hot spot is my only option).

i have not had any issues with the model 3 using the 5gz-- i think mostly these hangups happen because the car switches from wifi to cellular and the download gets stuck in the process. again just try to force a re download (by letting the car sleep for a few hours) and let the car sit and download the update.

The same happened to me with a long range dual motor with FSD computer.
Made an appointment. They reached out to me saying that engineering stopped pushing 12.5 to some VINs. She said that she will push the latest available for my VIN again and it came in a few minutes later as 12.1 which I already had installed.
That cleared the notification about 12.5

Tesla does not deploy the new software to 100% of all cars at once. They roll it out in phases. This is so if something in the code is bad, they don't brick the entire fleet. This is what we in the software biz call a "canary release."

But his photo shows that the screen specifically says there is an update available and that he needs to connect to Wifi to get it. It also shows that he is in fact connected to Wifi.

It is possible to connect to a non-routing WiFi network, leading to "being connected" but "not working" situation. I have a open WiFi network in my building which I have to keep "forgetting" every now and then as the car latches on to it. The car is still online via the LTE connection when it does this.

thank you for your suggestions.
Here you see the results. Looks like a good upload speed.
Yes, 40 Mbps Upload / Download is great.

It seems that the browser cannot perform a handshaking to initialize the connection or the SIM card cannot be authenticated.

I would imagine that firmware update might be needed because some library, or certificates cannot be found or are not the correct version.

I just notice that you are in Iceland, so you might need some special telecom configuration, which explain why the system just hang.

I would try to make an appointment with the service center to solve this problem.

I had this exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. Connected to a working WiFi network, update available, but would not actually start and showed the same message. I scheduled the next available appointment in the app and the next day Tesla pushed an update and cleared the error.

Reactions: Watts_Up