Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ConnectedSolutions Summer 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Powerwallers,

I got my Summer 2020 email from Tesla earlier and I was surprised that it said only 35 events were called. I guess we'll see when I get the check, does that seem low to anyone else in Middlesex/Essex MA?

Any one come up with a way to watch the number of discharge events through the API? The Tesla mobile app doesn't seem to track this, but I was able to look at the Energy Usage graph by month and I can count the lines (days) below the 0 line. I had 22 in July and 13 in Aug for 35 total summer "To Grid Services" events. I think it lines up, but always worth double checking! If you wanted to go further I suppose you could start looking at the total energy/event length and true that up to your actual payment as well.

I haven't looked back too deeply yet but I feel like way more than 35 events occurred. How many did you get in RI?
It's was the exact same amount of events.
Any one come up with a way to watch the number of discharge events through the API? The Tesla mobile app doesn't seem to track this, but I was able to look at the Energy Usage graph by month and I can count the lines (days) below the 0 line. I had 22 in July and 13 in Aug for 35 total summer "To Grid Services" events. I think it lines up, but always worth double checking! If you wanted to go further I suppose you could start looking at the total energy/event length and true that up to your actual payment as well.

I believe whether there is 60 events or 35 the true up will be the same. It's the amount of energy delivered divided by the number of events to give you the average for your payment. The less events the better

I wonder how much profit Tesla is consuming from this. If my math is right, they pocketed $270 from me for the 30 events this summer. How much overhead does it really take Tesla to manage this? I don't see anything in the FAQs, just the fine print of the agreement on the 20% cut Tesla gets. Also, they required a W-9, so should I expect this to be taxable income, further dragging the net value of this program down. As we're in a net-metering state too, I am worried that I have consumed some of that net metering value and now I am going to be getting a bill from the power company in Feb, Mar, Apr.... I am thinking, this program may not be worth it, once everything is calculated.

I wonder how much profit Tesla is consuming from this. If my math is right, they pocketed $270 from me for the 30 events this summer. How much overhead does it really take Tesla to manage this? I don't see anything in the FAQs, just the fine print of the agreement on the 20% cut Tesla gets. Also, they required a W-9, so should I expect this to be taxable income, further dragging the net value of this program down. As we're in a net-metering state too, I am worried that I have consumed some of that net metering value and now I am going to be getting a bill from the power company in Feb, Mar, Apr.... I am thinking, this program may not be worth it, once everything is calculated.
Your meter back spins during the events they pull so you do get the credit of everything your sending back to the grid

Your meter back spins during the events they pull so you do get the credit of everything your sending back to the grid
Yeah, but the issue is, and why I don't use the PowerWall everyday, is everything that is produced by the solar, right now, I get credit for and turns it backward.
1. Solar makes 10kwh = 5 kwh to house + 5 kwh to grid
2. Solar makes 10kwh = 5 kwh to house + 2.5 kwh to grid + 2.5 kwh to recharge PowerWall

The numbers are way off, but the example is just to show it is not beneficial, as I either push the power back into the battery and don't get credit for that power, or push the power back to the grid and get 1:1 credit. I only lose by using the powerwall for recharge cycle (wear and tear) and incremental power loss changing DC to AC.

• Helpful
Reactions: ScoGold
Yeah, but the issue is, and why I don't use the PowerWall everyday, is everything that is produced by the solar, right now, I get credit for and turns it backward.
1. Solar makes 10kwh = 5 kwh to house + 5 kwh to grid
2. Solar makes 10kwh = 5 kwh to house + 2.5 kwh to grid + 2.5 kwh to recharge PowerWall

The numbers are way off, but the example is just to show it is not beneficial, as I either push the power back into the battery and don't get credit for that power, or push the power back to the grid and get 1:1 credit. I only lose by using the powerwall for recharge cycle (wear and tear) and incremental power loss changing DC to AC.
I use my powerwalls for backup usage. I am not pulling out of the PWs daily except when National Grid calls for an event.

I got my payment- you are right the number of events is essentially meaningless because it's used as a divisor when determining your average performance. For the health of my batteries, I hope for cool summers with 1 event on a sunny day.

The customers average performance over the summer would be: = 1 + 2 + 3 / 3 = 2 The total incentive amount to be paid for this fictional customer would be: 2 ∙ $225 = $450

Could you share the details for national grid MA performance and payout for summer 2020? I have a system with about 13kw dc and 4 pws ordered and in the permitting process right now. I have calculated what I expect to be paid, which is higher than the $700 per power wall per year that Tesla shows, but having some real data would be good.