Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut Delivery Process?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CCIE

Aug 31, 2017
CT
Have any CT residents taken delivery of a Model 3 in Mt Kisco NY recently? My ISA is telling me that I’ll get NY temp tags, not pay NY sales tax, self-register the car at CT DMV, and pay CT sales tax during the registration process. That’s a different process than other Model 3 owners I know in CT, but they all took delivery months ago.

Possibly Tesla has had to streamline the process by having the buyer self-register? It doesn’t bother me, but I can see it annoying a lot of other people to stand in line at the DMV.

Reactions: neroden
My ISA sent me form DTF-820 to fill out for sales tax exemption in New York. So, it seems the process has changed for CT residents. The other people I know in CT who’ve bought Model 3s definitely had to pay NY sales tax.

Maybe Tesla thinks this will annoy CT buyers (many very affluent people) enough to force the legislature to let Tesla sell here. I can’t imagine many Tesla buyers in CT going to the DMV to self-register their cars!

Have any CT residents taken delivery of a Model 3 in Mt Kisco NY recently? My ISA is telling me that I’ll get NY temp tags, not pay NY sales tax, self-register the car at CT DMV, and pay CT sales tax during the registration process. That’s a different process than other Model 3 owners I know in CT, but they all took delivery months ago.

Possibly Tesla has had to streamline the process by having the buyer self-register? It doesn’t bother me, but I can see it annoying a lot of other people to stand in line at the DMV.

Did you have a trade-in? I’m planning to trade in my current car and was hoping to just move my old CT plates over to the Model 3 at delivery, like with all the other (non-Tesla) cars we have ever bought. Not looking forward to waiting at the Danbury DMV.

I received my M3 at Mt Kisco on 23 June. They are very familiar with getting the registration processed correctly through CT. There a four other M3s here at work that have gone through Mt Kisco. They will collect the CT tax (at 7.75% since the car crosses the $50K mark) and all of the other fees. They mail everything to CT and you drive home with a temporary NY paper plate in your rear window. I received my CT plate two days before the NY plate expired. They will also process the $3,000 CT CHEAPR rebate (you will need to bring your check book for this; they need a voided check to sent to CT).

I received my M3 at Mt Kisco on 23 June. They are very familiar with getting the registration processed correctly through CT. There a four other M3s here at work that have gone through Mt Kisco. They will collect the CT tax (at 7.75% since the car crosses the $50K mark) and all of the other fees. They mail everything to CT and you drive home with a temporary NY paper plate in your rear window. I received my CT plate two days before the NY plate expired. They will also process the $3,000 CT CHEAPR rebate (you will need to bring your check book for this; they need a voided check to sent to CT).

Also, do not hesitate and call Mt Kisco on your specific delivery needs, 914-218-8900. They tend to be hard to get at times (like everyone at Tesla); however, I was always able to get someone to answer my questions.

I experienced exactly the same as NYCR160 at the Mt. Kisco delivery center on June 26, 2018. CHEAPR rebate was direct deposited about 12 days after delivery. CT plates arrived the day my NY state temporary tags expired.

I experienced exactly the same as NYCR160 at the Mt. Kisco delivery center on June 26, 2018. CHEAPR rebate was direct deposited about 12 days after delivery. CT plates arrived the day my NY state temporary tags expired.

The frustrating thing is that my ISA is telling me the exact opposite. She insists I will have to self-register. Also, my trade-in will bring the transaction value under $50k, which should mean I'll pay 6.35% sales tax. I guess I'll have to call Mt Kisco and see what they say.

The frustrating thing is that my ISA is telling me the exact opposite. She insists I will have to self-register. Also, my trade-in will bring the transaction value under $50k, which should mean I'll pay 6.35% sales tax. I guess I'll have to call Mt Kisco and see what they say.

Mt Kisco will do the paperwork and not your ISA. I received conflicting information from the folks in Las Vegas and wound up call Mt Kisco. I called NY when I saw the 7.75% sales tax thinking that was NY sales tax...

I called Mt Kisco and they told me the process. CT is not self-register, though they said many of the other New England states are. So, they will handle transferring the registration from my trade-in. They will also collect the CT sales tax. Unfortunately, they said the trade-in will not get me out of paying the CT luxury sales tax rate.

I called Mt Kisco and they told me the process. CT is not self-register, though they said many of the other New England states are. So, they will handle transferring the registration from my trade-in. They will also collect the CT sales tax. Unfortunately, they said the trade-in will not get me out of paying the CT luxury sales tax rate.

The CT luxury sales tax is higher than the CT CHEAPR rebate (the state never looses). At least you will be getting the full $7,500 federal tax refund which you and the rest of us will have as income that CT will tax us on next year (the state wins again).

AWD, LR, Aero, Midnight Silver, Premium. not a previous Tesla owner

I live in CT.. talked to Mt Kisco 8/16/18 and they confirmed they collect CT sales tax and they will go to CT DMV, register the car and send the plates to me...

also requested Saturday delivery so my wife would not have to take a day off to drive me there (1hr 20mins). if I need to take delivery during the week Tesla offered to pay for an Uber ride or rent a car for me from Enterprise so I could drive myself to Mt Kisco...

Reserved on line 3 mins after the website went live
Invited to configure 4/18 (declined waiting for AWD)
Configured 6/27/18
ISA emailed with questions (cash (yes) and trade in (no)) and letting me know delivery scheduled between 9/8 and 9/13/18 in Mt Kisco 8/14/18
ISA sent email 8/15/18 indicated she's on vacation,back 8/27/18
Called Mt Kisco to answer ISA questions and request Saturday delivery, M3 is currently in Richmond VA, Mt 8/16/18
Mt Kisco indicated VIN is 65xxx but the website is not updated..

Stoked

Reactions: Boomer19
I emailed my ISA this week to see where the MVPA is since my delivery is scheduled for 8/28. Got an ooo from her saying she’s out all week and to call delivery center with questions. Called Mt Kisco adpnd they said my car actually isn’t due there until 8/31 and I should hear from the ISA to reschedule. Glad I called since she likely would not have given me much notice next week about the rescheduling.

It amazes me that a company that can build autopilot can’t master the logistics of updating delivery dates on a webpage. I should not need to speak to a human for this. I should have gotten an automated notice with the updated delivery date range and been asked to choose a new date to take delivery. It should also take about 5 minutes to auto generate the MVPA and send it to the customer.

It amazes me that a company that can build autopilot can’t master the logistics of updating delivery dates on a webpage. I should not need to speak to a human for this. I should have gotten an automated notice with the updated delivery date range and been asked to choose a new date to take delivery. It should also take about 5 minutes to auto generate the MVPA and send it to the customer.

FWIW, Autopilot doesn't work that well either. :D;)

But I agree with the sentiment. Tesla has always been very lacking on their own internal systems (see 'the shoemaker's children').

• Love
DO people pick up their cars at the Mt Kisco main showroom 115 Kisco Dr or whatever it is. I thought that deliveries were off-site. Off of 287 there is a Tesla location still in Westchester County that has, what looks like, a multi-story garage and from the air (sat view) looks to be an awful lot of the same car silhouettes.

Took delivery at Mt. Kisco 9/24. The paper work was done at their showroom and they had a shuttle (a model X) running back and forth to another lot where the cars are. They told me that, if I wanted to look over the car before doing paperwork, to come early to the showroom and I would be shuttled over to the parking lot to see it.

Took delivery at Mt. Kisco 9/24. The paper work was done at their showroom and they had a shuttle (a model X) running back and forth to another lot where the cars are. They told me that, if I wanted to look over the car before doing paperwork, to come early to the showroom and I would be shuttled over to the parking lot to see it.
Thanks...So it's not the one off of 287 going to Tappen Zee bridge! YAY! I hate driving through Bridgeport and the very SW corner of CT.

Did you get a sense they prep and detail the cars before customer sees it? On the delivery forum lots of people complaining about scratches, dents, cracks in windshield or roof glass. Stuff you'd expect them to catch and fix prior to a customer seeing defects.