Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut Gubernatorial Debate - Allow Tesla Direct Sales?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those active in local CT politics, here's a clip from the recent debate between Ned Lamont (D), Bob Stefanowski (R), and independent Oz Griebel which took place recently at Uconn.

Lamont was the only one in favor. Obviously there are likely more significant issues to sway your vote, check out the full video if you haven't already.

Reactions: Nikxice and Dan_A
As a conservative, it is extremely frustrating to me that many R's side against direct sales/Tesla. Pro-business, free markets are a foundation of conservative thought yet politicians succumb to special interests and the all powerful donation $ (yes, this is nothing new on either side of the aisle).

Here in Utah Tesla was just recently allowed to direct sell. One of the reasons I have a Tesla in my garage is because I hate the traditional car buying experience and the cartel that is the NADA (National Auto Dealers Association). The fact that they try to spin barring competition from Tesla as a means to "protect" the consumer is so blatantly transparent and false it boggles the mind and is just more evidence they view the car buying public as suckers.

Okay, sorry for the rant. Hope to see Tesla direct sales come to Connecticut and if that means a D in office so be it. If R's aren't going to abide by what should be conservative principles then they don't deserve votes.

Reactions: Olle and Xenius
For those active in local CT politics, here's a clip from the recent debate between Ned Lamont (D), Bob Stefanowski (R), and independent Oz Griebel which took place recently at Uconn.

Lamont was the only one in favor. Obviously there are likely more significant issues to sway your vote, check out the full video if you haven't already.

thank you for posting this!

As a conservative, it is extremely frustrating to me that many R's side against direct sales/Tesla. Pro-business, free markets are a foundation of conservative thought yet politicians succumb to special interests and the all powerful donation $ (yes, this is nothing new on either side of the aisle).

so my state rep is an R and I tried making this exact argument to him (free market principals, don't regulate the market). We actually had a conversation via email and he agreed that I made some excellent points but without really making an argument why did not change his thinking. I agree it was very frustrating. My best guess is politicians do not want to take a risk and saying no to Tesla is viewed as safe in their minds. I was on the fence before but did vote for him due to poor opposition but this may push be over to the other side.

Here in Utah Tesla was just recently allowed to direct sell. One of the reasons I have a Tesla in my garage is because I hate the traditional car buying experience and the cartel that is the NADA (National Auto Dealers Association). The fact that they try to spin barring competition from Tesla as a means to "protect" the consumer is so blatantly transparent and false it boggles the mind and is just more evidence they view the car buying public as suckers.

I've seen the protection argument made many times and used to think wow what a dumb argument I don't need protection I'll make my own decisions thank you very much government. However, while it doesn't change my mind Tesla is doing itself no favors by the way its treating model 3 reservation holders with holding up VINS, selling your VIN to someone else, mistaken texts your car is ready, and their lack of communication to deposit holders.

Hey thanks for posting the video! It’s so sad to see politicians STILL deny Tesla the right that any other company in the US has. Glad to see Ned is standing up amongst the others. Can’t wait for the day that CARA loses and Tesla stores pop up all over the state.