Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting an Amazon Echo Dot to my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ohh very cool. Been using several of the full size echo's around my house since they first came out a year and a half ago. When they announced the dot I was a little confused how that would help me at all but I think you just gave me a good example! Ordering a dot now.... crap... they're out of stock until June 29th :( Order pending though. Maybe I'll try with a full sized echo in the meantime... will just be clunkier.

Ohh very cool. Been using several of the full size echo's around my house since they first came out a year and a half ago. When they announced the dot I was a little confused how that would help me at all but I think you just gave me a good example! Ordering a dot now.... crap... they're out of stock until June 29th :( Order pending though. Maybe I'll try with a full sized echo in the meantime... will just be clunkier.

I use an Echo in the kitchen but a Dot in the bedroom since the TV has a Bluetooth soundbar that has better sound than the Echo. Also, the small size us nice.

Nice. I have a regular Echo in the family room and the Dot in the bedroom. I can see the advantage of using it for reading kindle books on long trips. You can listen to books just using your iPhone but it either costs more or you must use VoiceOver.

For those unaware, the Echo offers natural reading for many Kindle books at no additional cost.

This is very cool and with a refurbished Echo Dot only $29.99 today, I decided to test this out with one of my existing Echo Dots. One of the drawbacks with connecting to the Dot via Bluetooth to the Model S is that you lose your Bluetooth connectivity to your iPhone which means if you want to use your phone to dial someone or answer a call, you'll have to disconnect the Model S from the Dot and connect to your phone. I thought I'd be able to use the Bluetooth Phone to connect to my iphone and then use my Dot to stream media at the same time, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else have any luck?

There is an app called "Reverb" that you can download from Google Play store. You can link it to your Amazon account and give verbal command. It's not handfree. You have to tap to the microphone icon. With this app, I can turn on my tesla's AC with my voice command on my phone. It has limited function...ie it won't play music on spotify or sirus xm.

Last edited:
Very cool. I imagine very soon Amazon will enable the Alexa app to take voice commands within the app like Google and Microsoft have done for their assistants on their respective iOS apps. With that, you could just open the app when you get in the car and be good to go. Right now they do have Alexa built into the Amazon app (strangely not in the Alexa app as far as I can tell) if you hit the microphone next to the search box. But that would be defeat the purpose of being hands free if you have to touch that little microphone for each command. Seems it is a little bit limited version of full Alexa functionality though.