Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting Apple TV to Model S display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't help for video games but if all you wanted to do was watch movies it seems like rooting the car and patching the browser code to take a video stream would be soooo much easier. Then patch audio over bluetooth. Is the browser code signed and encrypted?
...if you got windowed feed, what would be resolution?
I think ideally you'd cut HD in half so 960x540. Then you'd have a 60 pixel black bezel on the new MCU and 120 pixel black bezel on the old MCU left and right. I don't think anyone wants to interpolate pixels in anything more complicated.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CarsonGallo
.. or here is a simple 'rigged' solution.

Put a small 15" LCD monitor in front of the camera and make sure camera is focused on the montior. You can disassemble the camera from its mount, and install the camera-monitor duo system inside the trunk. Make sure the camera-monitor system is stable, and camera is perfectly focused - that is they key. You may want to build a solid box with the camera on one side, and the LCD monitor on the other side, so that they are rigid and they both work as if they are a closed system. So even if there is vibration (which there is bound to be in the trunk) you won't see it much because the camera-monitor is bound together by the solid box.

Next, connect your AppleTV to the monitor with an HDMI cable. Problem solved.

Of course resolution will suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johann Koeber

Put a small 15" LCD monitor in front of the camera and make sure camera is focused on the montior. You can disassemble the camera from its mount, and install the camera-monitor duo system inside the trunk. Make sure the camera-monitor system is stable, and camera is perfectly focused - that is they key. You may want to build a solid box with the camera on one side, and the LCD monitor on the other side, so that they are rigid and they both work as if they are a closed system. So even if there is vibration (which there is bound to be in the trunk) you won't see it much because the camera-monitor is bound together by the solid box.

And you need a monitor with a mirrored display......

Not only will the resolution suck but at the Tesla camera is extreme wide angle, the move image will looks profoundly weird.

I keep saying this can't be done and many folks with high technical knowledge have tried. All have failed. But the Tesla owner who designed the camera switch could probably do it. In fact, I'm going to ask him

Sounds like great news! I'm Very interested. Let me know if you need anyone to test and review
That’s the board

88C6D722-6372-4C37-A0CA-22576FE97FAE.jpeg