Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting car and iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Stupid question probably for anyone who uses a mobile all the time, but mine is only used for emergencies.
Is the Tesla summon function connected via Bluetooth or the cellphone system?
I can't see how to make mine work: I managed to connect the car and the phone, Bluetooth connected - but when I try the summon it just says "unable to connect".

Stupid question probably for anyone who uses a mobile all the time, but mine is only used for emergencies.
I can't see how to make mine work: I managed to connect the car and the phone, Bluetooth connected - but when I try the summon it just says "unable to connect".
With model s I’ve found the best way to make it connect is to place the key on the passenger wiper and stand next to the car out of range of any sensors. Chances of summon connecting are around 50%.
Given you can summon your car across a carpark, that suggests its operating over the cellphone system. Just a guess though. Someone on here will know with more certainty.

It's via cellular connection, not bluetooth.

It's via cellular connection, but in Australia also requires the keyfob to be close to the vehicle.
Also, turn your damn phone on! Other people have emergencies too! I kid, I kid...

If Summon fails to connect at all reboot the centre screen and try again.
Due to Australian regulations the fob must be in range so I leave it on the windscreen whilst I use Summon as it allows you to stand a safe distance whilst you move the car.
Only works with good Cellular connection on your phone and car.
Open the App wait for it to connect, select Summon and hold the Forward or Back button throughout the process, when you let go the car will stop.

If Summon fails to connect at all reboot the centre screen and try again.
Due to Australian regulations the fob must be in range so I leave it on the windscreen whilst I use Summon as it allows you to stand a safe distance whilst you move the car.
Only works with good Cellular connection on your phone and car.
Open the App wait for it to connect, select Summon and hold the Forward or Back button throughout the process, when you let go the car will stop.

I've been keeping it in my pocket so that if anything goes awry I can at least open the door or something.
Summon did work a few months ago but now it doesn't connect, so that's the problem.

Using the Tesla app on the phone I can do everything such as unlocking, locking, flashing the lights etc etc - but if I try to use summon it just says "unable to connect"! I can say flash the lights (OK, try summon (will not connect) then lock (OK) - so the phone DOES connect with everything else....

Using the Tesla app on the phone I can do everything such as unlocking, locking, flashing the lights etc etc - but if I try to use summon it just says "unable to connect"! I can say flash the lights (OK, try summon (will not connect) then lock (OK) - so the phone DOES connect with everything else....
You wont have a lot of luck with summon with the key in your pocket.
Also have you checked its activated? You need to accept it. Centre screen under the autopilot heading.

You wont have a lot of luck with summon with the key in your pocket.
Also have you checked its activated? You need to accept it. Centre screen under the autopilot heading.

Activated? I don't know about that - are you talking about the key(fob)? Certainly the summon function is on. It doesn't seem to make any difference if it's on standby or not.

I have to say that the software on my car is absolutely dire! So many things operate on a random basis doing one thing one day and something else the next The door handles sometimes all open, sometimes only the drivers' ones do. Today the headlights came on at midday without a cloud in the sky an hour after the radio suddenly switched itself on without any input. etc etc

I enjoy driving the thing but as a computer it behaves like a Sinclair running Windows!

Activated? I don't know about that - are you talking about the key(fob)? Certainly the summon function is on. It doesn't seem to make any difference if it's on standby or not.

I have to say that the software on my car is absolutely dire! So many things operate on a random basis doing one thing one day and something else the next The door handles sometimes all open, sometimes only the drivers' ones do. Today the headlights came on at midday without a cloud in the sky an hour after the radio suddenly switched itself on without any input. etc etc

I enjoy driving the thing but as a computer it behaves like a Sinclair running Windows!
When you say summon is on, are you referring to your key or the car centre screen?