Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting garage wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. Thanks in advance for the help. I recently purchased the garage wall mounted charger and had it installed by an electrician while I was on a business trip. Install went great etc. I've come to find out that I need to connect that charger to my home WiFi and that there should have been a QR code somewhere in the box. The box and paperwork have been recycled I hear and are no longer around. Any help with where I could find the IP address/QR code I need? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks. Yeah, with the box and paperwork gone....there's no Quickstart guide. I wonder if I have to take that whole thing off the wall now?
No, not the whole thing...

Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained! shows the unit after the 'guts' are removed, on the third picture(the actual values are blacked-out, since I didn't want Tesla reaching in and entirely disabling the unit). The baseplate and power connections stay mounted to the wall. It would even be safe-ish to remove the face assembly without turning off the power. Its held on by four rather large-headed allen(hex) wrench driven screws(two from the top and two from the bottom). I don't recall if there's actually a QR code on that label or not. It seems sort of small for that. In any case, if you had a helper you wouldn't even need to put the guts down, just pull them off, take a picture of the label, and put it back together. Don't be surprised if it takes more than a little force to pull the guts off its base. There are three pretty beefy electrical connections that have to slide, like a 14-50 plug.

Even better, just look on the left side of the unit without taking it off the wall, the same label is there, with the QR code!

Upvote 0
How can I connect the Wall Unit to my home WIFI as it is on a TESLA wifi from the QR code , but I think it’s so poise to be on my home network?? I don’t have my car yet, so it may be controlled by that??? CAN ANYONE HELP?
Thx
Karrma
You connect your phone or computer to the Gen3 Wall Connector's local Wi-Fi to configure the Wall Connector. Once connected to the Wall Connector's Wi-Fi you can also set up connectivity to your home Wi-Fi network. You only need to connect the Wall Connector to a Wi-Fi network with access to the internet to receive periodic firmware updates from Tesla, upload the charging history.

Upvote 0
What about a password? if you connect it, which is easy, you still need a secure password for the wifi on your charger, where else can you find that?
It should be on the label on the left side...or the back of the front assembly.

Attachments

• IMGP0010.jpg
    IMGP0010.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
  • rear_outer2.jpg
    rear_outer2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0