Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting Gen 2 nema adapter to the charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had our electrician install a 220 v outlet. I have the gen 2 nema adapter but can’t figure out how it plugs into the charging cord. Do I need another adapter?
It depends on the outlet that was installed. You will likely have to buy an adapter since the mobile connector that comes with the car only works on a standard 120v outlet. Go here, see what outlet you have and order the correct adapter:

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
It depends on the outlet that was installed. You will likely have to buy an adapter since the mobile connector that comes with the car only works on a standard 120v outlet. Go here, see what outlet you have and order the correct adapter:

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this information. I ordered the correct adapter and it fits into the new wall outlet. However, I can't connect the new adapter to the power cord, so I'm unable to charge my car. Wondering if I need an adapter that connects the NEMA device to the power cord that came with the Model 3. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for this information. I ordered the correct adapter and it fits into the new wall outlet. However, I can't connect the new adapter to the power cord, so I'm unable to charge my car. Wondering if I need an adapter that connects the NEMA device to the power cord that came with the Model 3. Does that make sense?
Post some pictures of

The outlet
The adapter you have
The mobile connector

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
No, it doesn't make sense. The adapter you got, which is about a foot long, plugs into the wall on one end and the body of the UMC on the other end. There's a hardwired cord maybe 18 feet long coming out of the UMC that you plug into the chargeport on the car.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
I have the gen 2 nema adapter but can’t figure out how it plugs into the charging cord.
I can't connect the new adapter to the power cord,
If you can't get the adapter to plug into the charging cable, I am guessing you didn't actually buy a Gen2 adapter. You may have bought one of the older adapters for the Gen1 charging cable. Look in the Tesla online store under the charging section, and you will find both kinds of adapters. The Gen1 kind are just a solid piece and fit in your hand. The Gen2 ones look like a pigtail cord, that has about 8 inches or so of cable.

But also, we're just guessing from words and terminology. It would really help if you would post pictures, as @ATPMSD suggested.

Upvote 0
If you can't get the adapter to plug into the charging cable, I am guessing you didn't actually buy a Gen2 adapter. You may have bought one of the older adapters for the Gen1 charging cable. Look in the Tesla online store under the charging section, and you will find both kinds of adapters. The Gen1 kind are just a solid piece and fit in your hand. The Gen2 ones look like a pigtail cord, that has about 8 inches or so of cable.

But also, we're just guessing from words and terminology. It would really help if you would post pictures, as @ATPMSD suggested.
I purchased the Gen 2 NEMA adapter directly from Tesla. I've attached a screenshot of what I purchased, as well as photos of both ends of the adapter and the original power cord that came with my Model 3. I just can't figure out how to connect the NEMA adapter to the charging device. Feels like a piece is missing....

Attachments

• Original Power Cord_Outlet.jpg
    Original Power Cord_Outlet.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 467
  • Original Power Cord_Charging.jpg
    Original Power Cord_Charging.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Original Charging Cord.jpg
    Original Charging Cord.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Gen 2 NEMA_Outlet.jpg
    Gen 2 NEMA_Outlet.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Gen 2 NEMA Adapter_Connector.jpg
    Gen 2 NEMA Adapter_Connector.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.45.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 1.45.12 PM.png
    444.8 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
I can't believe I have to say this, but you just have to yank the original household plug adapter out of the body of the Mobile Connector. The new one goes in the same place.

Those adapters are in the mobile connector pretty darn tight. They dont look like they are supposed to come out (but we know they do). It has to be "yanked" much harder than one would think (at least mine does) to get the adapter out of the UMC.

it doesnt surprise me much that someone would "tug" on the adapter, then look at it (with its very tight fit) and not know they need to pull it harder.

Upvote 0
Those adapters are in the mobile connector pretty darn tight. They dont look like they are supposed to come out (but we know they do). It has to be "yanked" much harder than one would think (at least mine does) to get the adapter out of the UMC.

it doesnt surprise me much that someone would "tug" on the adapter, then look at it (with its very tight fit) and not know they need to pull it harder.
Right. Wiggling it side to side while you're pulling it out can help too.

Upvote 0