TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Connecting to xfinitywifi

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DOCAL, Jun 20, 2016.

1. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

I couldn't find any existing threads on this, so figured I'd post what I found here in case it helps anyone else.

I tried to connect to the xfinitywifi access points a few times, but the car failed each time. I figured it was probably that the car didn't have the logic to handle the captive portal, so there was no way to log in and register the car with my account.

I noticed that by tapping on wifi settings there was a little (i) icon which showed the mac address. So I made a note of it, and grabbed my laptop. On Linux and Mac you can change the local mac address temporarily using the ifconfig command as root - I've no idea about windows, but maybe someone else can chime in.

I changed the interface mac address to be the same as the car (ifconfig en0 ether 90:03:b7:aa:bb:cc) and then clicked on the xfinitywifi access point, logged in and named the device. Then disconnected and changed my laptop's mac address back. After doing that, the car was able to connect successfully as the mac was now registered.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. chillaban

chillaban Member

Thanks dude! I was actually tempted to do the same thing the other day but never ended up following up on it.

And you are right, it seems like if a network is a captive portal, the Tesla will refuse to connect to it, as if it couldn't join the SSID at all.

(Oh the joys of apartment living...)

3. Wojski

Wojski Member

Any idea on how long the MAC is cached before you need to re-authenticate again with Comcast?

4. chillaban

chillaban Member

As far as I can tell, it's indefinite. You can log on to your xfinity account and see all the hotspot devices you've approved under your login. I can see some very old iPhones in my list.

5. Toasty

Toasty Member

6. Chicag000

Chicag000 New Member

Sorry Can someone outline how to do this for people not familiar with writing code in mac terminal? I really appreciate it.

7. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

You need to know the MAC address of your car, and the name/MAC of the wifi interface on your Mac.
    Assuming they are a0:a1:a2:a3:a4:a5 and en0 then the command would be...

sudo ifconfig en0 ether a0:a1:a2:a3:a4:a5

After that, connect to xfinity and log in with your username and password and name the device something sensible.
    You can check it's registered from the page https://customer.xfinity.com/Secure/WiFiDevices/

You can restore the original MAC by rebooting, or re-doing the ifconfig command with the original address.

Feel free to message me if you need more info.

8. Polyport

Polyport Member

I usually just select the xfinitiwifi network in the car, then select the car's browser and try to browse to any URL. The portal will come up and I provide my username/password, after which the car works fine on the wifi network.

• Informative x 2
  9. GWord

GWord Member

I us the same technique as Polyport outlined. Has worked well for me.