Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connection issues with V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since today's software update I have app connection issues. The app just hangs with the spinning wheel. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, which then connected seemingly OK, but then the issue reappeared next time I tried to open the app. I achieved the same result by just logging out and back in again.

When the app can't access the car, teslafi can't either. It shows an api error in the logs. When it tried to send a scheduled command it returned "could_not_wake_buses".

A "both scroll wheels and brake" reboot didn't solve the problem. I've since done a power down of the car and then turned mobile access off and then back on again (this worked for me when I had a similar issue a few weeks ago). Pretty much same result as above in that I get a connection but if I leave it a couple of minutes then try to reconnect it hangs again.

If I walk up to the car it unlocks and then mobile access comes back. Until I leave it again.

Anyone else getting a similar issue or know a solution?

I also did another power down reboot and generated a new teslafi token shortly after the above then left it for the night. It appears to be communicating OK now. I can't think why a teslafi token would affect the app or car but perhaps the second reboot did it.

On TeslaFi raw data feed it is showing the "API error - data request timeout" popping up from time to time. Maybe 3 times an hour so 5% of attempts to poll the car. I wonder whether the car's mobile signal has weakened. Where I charge it the mobile signal isn't fabulous but has been adequate, and it's just out of WiFi range.

I also did another power down reboot and generated a new teslafi token shortly after the above then left it for the night. It appears to be communicating OK now. I can't think why a teslafi token would affect the app or car but perhaps the second reboot did it.

On TeslaFi raw data feed it is showing the "API error - data request timeout" popping up from time to time. Maybe 3 times an hour so 5% of attempts to poll the car. I wonder whether the car's mobile signal has weakened. Where I charge it the mobile signal isn't fabulous but has been adequate, and it's just out of WiFi range.
is teslafi worth the cost they charge?

The trial costs nothing :) I think it is well worthwhile, but I'm a Geek ... I think that decision is an individual-thing

Trial extended from 2 weeks to a month if you use someone's referral code.

For me being able to see the "API ERROR" in the logs, that @LukeT reported, would be useful in figuring out what was going wrong. Over 3 years of use I've had plenty of scenarios like that were "detailed data" helped me improve/sort something out.

Third day in, its giving useful info. Whether we can act on some of the info I do not know, but it makes initial understanding of battery state easy to fathom, ie how much sentry mode or pre condition drains the battery. Most of the time, its probably recording too much info and you feel that you are snooping on the driver even if you aren't. Worth a chat with other drivers about that.

I'm on a 4 week trial, so too early to tell how useful this will be long term and whether I will subscribe - I don't need it to record mileage etc, but if I did, I would say well worth it. Its not pretty to look at, but it does seem fairly priced at $5/month, $50/year. Certainly worth setting up for the trial and asking someone for a referral code to extend trial from 2 to 4 weeks and the referrer getting a month free if you sign up.

Worth a chat with other drivers about that

Enough information available the APP to be embarrassing ... so if you have a mistress take the ICE :)

But, conversely, I have used TeslaFi to guide my wife a long way away from home in abnormally bad winter weather, figured out her likely arrival time at Supercharger, so I could be on hand for moral support, remote-started 3rd party charger when she got there, changed the Charge Limit to 100% and started the car climate (which she was off doing Retail Therapy") and so on. That could probably be done from the APP but I found it easier with access to historical data for the trip, location labels already known to TeslaFi and so on.

I don't need it to record mileage etc, but if I did, I would say well worth it

I agree its handy for that, but if the Internet signal drops out, or car is asleep when you set off, it can miss some data, so might not be good enough for logging mileage.

I'm maybe not adding that much beyond replies above. It in this little problem it certainly isn't a hindrance. In day to day use it's more it achieves a large number of small gains rather than some obvious big advantage. Its usefulness is highly subjective but for me it's a definite yes. I find it superior to the app I many ways.

Personal highlights:
- lots of little wins can come from scheduling stuff. I use changes to charge limit through the week to balance between charging at times of low grid carbon intensity and having sufficient charge at the right times.
- you can check on the car without waking it.
- all sorts of data enable you to learn a lot about the car, its energy use etc.

So none of these things is compulsory but many people will value them.

Reactions: Roy W.