Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity and Reboot Issues on New 2018 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my MX on Wednesday, but because of non-stop rains in SoCal I didn’t get to play with the new toy until today. Tried to connect to WiFi - no go. Tried every band, password, AP - nothing. Tried rebooting Tesla - also nothing. Connectivity to the App works but Summon feature didn’t connect. Called Tesla and spoke with their customer service - after some remote troubleshooting she fessed up that they’ve had a batch of cars that have issues with the reboot and that connectivity is related. Said they’d push out something over the air either today or Monday but this shouldn’t interfere with normal operation. Anyone else has experienced this recently??

Other than forgetting to fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir, Tesla buying experience and the car have been great and the Multicoat Red definitely turns heads.

Had a similar connectivity issue to my home network.. But it only occurred when I upgraded my wireless router. After checking all the settings in my router I found that I had to change my wireless router mode from b/g/n, to specifically only mode b. So try changing different wireless modes to see if it connects.

Good luck.

Had a similar connectivity issue to my home network.. But it only occurred when I upgraded my wireless router. After checking all the settings in my router I found that I had to change my wireless router mode from b/g/n, to specifically only mode b. So try changing different wireless modes to see if it connects.

Good luck.
There also have been some conflict with some people’s smart home technologies. I can’t remember which but check the threads

Hi Caseartheday,

I picked up my Model X-100-D on Thursday March 22.
When I got home I attached it to my home wifi, everything was fine...
Not!!!

Yesterday Saturday March 25 I got into the car to see the message
"Wifi must be connected to get full advantage of features and upgrades."

I thought that was odd having picked it up and setting it up days earlier.
I cannot reboot the car.
I used the emergency power off button, it powered off but the power off did not help.

I will explain what I did that made it work last night. It is still spotty this morning.

I have Comcast for Cable, Internet, and a wired phone I use for service calls.
I have their Arris/Cisco DPC3943T cable modem router.
It has the capability to broadcast wifi on 2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ.
Their simplistic instructions say you may have the same SSID and password for both frequencies.
I found this to be a bad idea.

I rebuilt the system from the ground up.
SETUP THE NETWORK NAME 10 CHARACTERS LONG - USE ONLY NUMBERS AND LETTERS.
This would not be necessary if we were running a datacenter but we are not running a datacenter
and we have no idea what Tesla wants or will permit for SSID length or characters.
I setup 2 networks from the same cable modem router
SSID 1 I called Network2 because it was for 2.4 GHZ and I wanted to keep it short and simple.
SSID 2 I called Network5 because it was for 5 GHZ and I wanted it to be short and simple.

For the security on these I chose WPA2 - the one that the cable modem router recommends.
Although it recommends WPA2 - It defaults to WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP-AES) so I had to choose
the other recommended one.

I chose 10 character passwords for each network...
They were composed of letters and numbers - No special characters...

When everything rebooted I connected my phone, my laptop, and lastly the Model X.

In the Model X you must choose the SSID and the security protocol and your password.
The Model X thought about it and put the Green check mark next to it, and accepted it.

This morning it may have already forgotten it.
All of this is probably unnecessary in a big data arena, but again we do not know what Tesla is
programmed to receive or respond to.

Oh, yes... It will be corrected by an over the air fix --- ???
If we are lucky enough to receive and properly interpret that fix it will be great.
But if our wifi fails and we are in a poor cellular area, it could be a long wait...

Shawn

I picked up my MX on Wednesday, but because of non-stop rains in SoCal I didn’t get to play with the new toy until today. Tried to connect to WiFi - no go. Tried every band, password, AP - nothing. Tried rebooting Tesla - also nothing. Connectivity to the App works but Summon feature didn’t connect. Called Tesla and spoke with their customer service - after some remote troubleshooting she fessed up that they’ve had a batch of cars that have issues with the reboot and that connectivity is related. Said they’d push out something over the air either today or Monday but this shouldn’t interfere with normal operation. Anyone else has experienced this recently??

Other than forgetting to fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir, Tesla buying experience and the car have been great and the Multicoat Red definitely turns heads.
I have the same problem since Monday (2 April), exactly a week after delivery. My X has LTE signal but does not connect to the internet. No navigation, no music, reboot using scroll buttons doesn’t work. Tesla support promised an update after 48 hours but it never came until I called for follow up. OTA update is expected before end of the week I was promised. I hope they do.

Spoke to the service center. I'm going to have to bring the car in for them to take a look at the issue. My wifi eventually connected and received its first update...but the reboot function, not to mention summon and other little things like Slacker login still don't work. On top of that I had a few incidents with the trunk lift gate - namely it wouldn't close by itself - it would beep at the point of nearly latching and open up. I had to slam it shut manually.
Minor annoyances. Overall really happy with the car. Love the acceleration, autopilot, cool factor, FWD, trunk/frunk space - all awesome. The MCU and navigation are kludgy AF - I really can't wait for Elon to do good on his promise of navigation and UI update "soon" which means ... no one knows when. I've accepted that Tesla "promise" is akin to when my kids "promise" never to fight with each other again or clean up their rooms. I'll believe it when I see it.

Hi All,

An update with history:
My car X-100D manufactured 3/18 delivered with 2018.10.2 with the New MCU

2018.10.2 would not scroll wheel reboot

Updated to 2018.10.6
2018.10.6 would not scroll wheel reboot

Updated to 2018.12 last night
2018.12 SCROLL WHEEL REBOOTS AS REQUESTED !!!

Shawn

I'm getting MIDLY frustrated with my LTE connection. Every three or four days, the LTE is having poor connectivity. I can't play any streaming music, the directions/navigation won't work, maps won't load, and the web browser won't browse. So, everything that relies on an active LTE channel won't work.

I do one of those two button reboots, car resets itself, and all is good in the world within a few minutes.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

I'm MCU2, 2018.14.2 a8888888 or whatever that updated version is.

Still love the car, and don't really have any issues except for this one annoying 'feature.' How do I report this bug so the engineers/programmers know of a problem?

Thanks ahead.