Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity problem iOS and Tesla app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here. Requested service on the app. Response was

“I just sent the command to reset the security module on the car. Let me know if you can connect with the mobile app now.”

That has fixed the problem. I’ve been able to connect for 3 days now in various conditions.

• Funny
Reactions: Nautikelz
I have narrowed it down to it only works for me if my iPhone is on wifi. If I am using cell service it will NOT connect. Very very odd.

iPhone 11 Pro Max
Software version 14.0 Beta release
AT&T LTE(5Ge)
Atlanta GA but we traveled to Hilton Head Island and to Cherokee NC and it did the exact same thing when on wifi vs Cellular service
Same phone config and with AT&T. iOS 13.6. When I connect to a guest “xfinity wifi” I’m able to connect right away. However using at&t cellular it gives me “network error” after multiples attempts.

Same problem here. Requested service on the app. Response was

“I just sent the command to reset the security module on the car. Let me know if you can connect with the mobile app now.”

That has fixed the problem. I’ve been able to connect for 3 days now in various conditions.
Can you please clarify how did you request that service? Did you call customer support or contacted local service center? Thanks.

Yes,yes and yes.

I have iPhone 11 Pro, AT&T and model 3. I recently had the same issue where I suddenly could not connect to my car if my phone was on LTE. If I’m on Wi-Fi it works fine. I could test this easily by toggling Wi-Fi on my iPhone off, try to launch the app and it would just hang and eventually timeout.

I signed out of the app, and was unable to enter my car via the app. So I had to reset up the phone as a key. Once I did that - now I am able to connect over AT&T LTE.
As an aside I did download a VPN app and with that enabled , I could connect to the app even before the phone key reset. But after the phone key reset I can connect even with the VPN off.

So it may be worth using the VPN if the phone key logout and reset doesn’t work for you. I used HotspotShield on iOS for my test.

I have iPhone 11 Pro, AT&T and model 3. I recently had the same issue where I suddenly could not connect to my car if my phone was on LTE. If I’m on Wi-Fi it works fine. I could test this easily by toggling Wi-Fi on my iPhone off, try to launch the app and it would just hang and eventually timeout.

I signed out of the app, and was unable to enter my car via the app. So I had to reset up the phone as a key. Once I did that - now I am able to connect over AT&T LTE.
As an aside I did download a VPN app and with that enabled , I could connect to the app even before the phone key reset. But after the phone key reset I can connect even with the VPN off.

So it may be worth using the VPN if the phone key logout and reset doesn’t work for you. I used HotspotShield on iOS for my test.
Glad that worked for you, but it didn’t for me nor some others

Reactions: boonedocks
Can you please clarify how did you request that service? Did you call customer support or contacted local service center? Thanks.

I submitted a service request from the app. If I remember correctly I took the option about software that did not have an exact match and then used the comment section to describe the problem. They replied with a confirmation of a mobile service. Then the Ranger sent a text asking for more details. I responded and that is when he sent the reset that fixed the issue.

Reactions: T3SLA90D
I tried to set up an appointment and asked for the reset. All I got was this txt thread from service:

C15F1278-648C-4D3E-BEC5-0755EBB5B8AB.png

656801C0-E994-4DF8-9483-DCFA2AC6D808.png

After writing "Calls Only" in text. I actually got a call. :)
I refuse to deal with the texting crap.
So, not too bad. But yeah, they have no fix.

This actually reminded me of an issue I had with VMWare a few months ago, on AT&T.

https://forums.att.com/conversation...horizon-view-and-att/5df01e95bad5f2f60624fd0b (Not me, I just googled it).

Seems AT&T likes to block certain traffic... no idea why.
Maybe someone here can get some posts on AT&T?

I thought the cars themselves only connect through at&t, so wouldn’t this be an issue for everyone? Or do the cars switch networks based on location?
It seems that maybe the issue is with AT&T cell phones, rather than the AT&T LTE antenna in the cars. Is this also an iPhone only problem? I haven't seen any Android users report this issue yet in this thread.

We have been having this issue too for weeks. I figured it happened after a Tesla app update from the App Store. I tried signing out & back in to the Tesla app. I tried deleting it & reinstalling it. Nothing has worked. The issue happens both with my iPhone 7 Plus and my wife's iPhone 11. Last week when picking up our car from service I couldn't unlock the car with the mobile app to get in. So I had to call my wife since she was at home on wifi to unlock the car for me so I could drive it home.

I have narrowed it down to it only works for me if my iPhone is on wifi. If I am using cell service it will NOT connect. Very very odd.

iPhone 11 Pro Max
Software version 14.0 Beta release
AT&T LTE(5Ge)
Atlanta GA but we traveled to Hilton Head Island and to Cherokee NC and it did the exact same thing when on wifi vs Cellular service

What are your cell phone data settings? When you say "on WiFi" is your phone on the same WiFi network as the car? Is the car even on WiFi at all?