Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

connectivity problems with iPhone Xs and Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just traded in my 3yo iPhone 7 for iPhone Xs a few days ago and am now really starting to regret it! :S Aside from being out $$$, connectivity with my Model 3 and Tesla server have become of a bit of a nightmare. You think things would be better with a newer phone, but alas, that is not the case, at least for me....

I have several problems, main one now is that i can't connect to Tesla server/my car at all while i'm work. the corporate WiFi here blocks connections to Tesla server, and when i turn off WiFi to use LTE, it still complains it cannot connect to Tesla server. I tried Stats app and Tesla app and both give error. So basically, i cannot connect to the car at all while i'm at work, which is frustrating. With my iPhone 7, while i couldn't use WiFi on it, the LTE connection to Tesla server to get stats from car always worked reliably. Now, the LTE connection to Tesla server (while i'm inside the building) doesn't seem to work here either, which is baffling. i only get 2 bars of LTE inside the the building, which i think would be enough but apparently is not. with some googling it appears some iPhone X users are having LTE connectivity issues so i'm wondering if it's related. But in my case, browsing the net, instagram , twitter etc seems fine/fast over LTE while inside the building, it just seems like connection to Tesla server is not working . And this inability to connect to Tesla over LTE only seems to happen here and not elsewhere (like out at a grocery store) - i am baffled why this would be the case. the only way i've been able to connect to the car is if i walk 400 ft away from the building and get 4 bars of LTE.

any tips/suggestions appreciated!

I have an iPhone Xs and the connectivity is fine, but once in a while I cannot connect to the car via app to see stats. Then there are times where it connects immediately. I would suggest making sure your car has LTE and not a "slash" through it. Sometimes that happens and so I can't connect via app (but bluetooth works to drive, etc.).

Did you buy a new case for it? Try removing the case.

My first gen iPhone X works fine.

How was the new phone restored?

If the whole phone was restored with apps and all, try uninstalling the Tesla App and reinstalling it.

The few times that I remember not being able to connect to the server, it was due to a systemwide outage. Otherwise the other suggestions above are good. Delete and redownload app. Or log out and log back in. Reset network settings. Try a different device (iPad).

B40EE7FF-29F7-4014-B6B2-B0A2BE560572.jpeg

On the display, Under Safety & Security, very bottom of the screen it says Allow Mobile Access.
Make sure this is on. Toggle it off and on, If it’ still doesn’t see the phone then reboot the the car.

I’m using the IPhone XS Max, this connection issue happened once, rebooting the car fixed it.

Fred

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: commasign
View attachment 427569

On the display, Under Safety & Security, very bottom of the screen it says Allow Mobile Access.
Make sure this is on. Toggle it off and on, If it’ still doesn’t see the phone then reboot the the car.

I’m using the IPhone XS Max, this connection issue happened once, rebooting the car fixed it.

Fred

He switched phones, not cars.

He has network access on his phone.

I’ve had this issue with apps before when migrating phones. Especially ones that hold credentials / access tokens. When the app is migrated the credentials are invalid. But the app doesn’t know it, but the server does. It’s a security thing. A unique ID is probably sent from the phone (old phone) when you log in and you get a token back. That token is only valid on the phone it was generated on. Just start clean and I bet it starts working.

• Informative
Reactions: sweetneet
i just traded in my 3yo iPhone 7 for iPhone Xs a few days ago and am now really starting to regret it! :S Aside from being out $$$, connectivity with my Model 3 and Tesla server have become of a bit of a nightmare. You think things would be better with a newer phone, but alas, that is not the case, at least for me....

I have several problems, main one now is that i can't connect to Tesla server/my car at all while i'm work. the corporate WiFi here blocks connections to Tesla server, and when i turn off WiFi to use LTE, it still complains it cannot connect to Tesla server. I tried Stats app and Tesla app and both give error. So basically, i cannot connect to the car at all while i'm at work, which is frustrating. With my iPhone 7, while i couldn't use WiFi on it, the LTE connection to Tesla server to get stats from car always worked reliably. Now, the LTE connection to Tesla server (while i'm inside the building) doesn't seem to work here either, which is baffling. i only get 2 bars of LTE inside the the building, which i think would be enough but apparently is not. with some googling it appears some iPhone X users are having LTE connectivity issues so i'm wondering if it's related. But in my case, browsing the net, instagram , twitter etc seems fine/fast over LTE while inside the building, it just seems like connection to Tesla server is not working . And this inability to connect to Tesla over LTE only seems to happen here and not elsewhere (like out at a grocery store) - i am baffled why this would be the case. the only way i've been able to connect to the car is if i walk 400 ft away from the building and get 4 bars of LTE.

any tips/suggestions appreciated!
I have a Model 3 & iPhone XS Max and it has connectivity issues also. Sometimes iPhone won’t open the car and I need to use the card key. Quite frequently the iPhone connects to the car music and initially starts music and then it readily disconnects and you manually have to reconnect via the Tesla screen menu. Also streaming music is problematic due to lousy intel modem it will lose cellular if iPhone is placed on mat under screen, but get better connectivity if placed on center console. Will upgrade iPhone once they start using Qualcomm modems again.

• Informative
Reactions: sweetneet