TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Connectivity question

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by jgalak, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jgalak

jgalak Member

Brand new Model X, had it for a few days. Energy Save is set to on, but I have the "always connected" box checked. Shouldn't this mean that I can always connect with an app?

In practice, after parking overnight (connected to HPWC), by morning there's no connectivity. Apps won't connect until I grab my keys and unlock/lock the car. Then everything goes back to working fine.

Am I missing something or is this a problem?

2. MasterT

MasterT Member

I have the same config (power saving is on and always connected is checked) but I have no delay (relatively) issues connecting to my car - takes a few second. Takes a few seconds longer in the morning, but always connects (using the official Tesla app)

What "apps" are you talking about?

3. arcus

arcus Member

As per manual:

Model X has an energy-saving feature that reduces the amount of energy being consumed when Model X is not in use. Touch Controls > Displays > Energy Saving and choose from the following options:
    • OFF. Model X shifts to the energy-saving mode at night (10 pm to 5 am).
    • ON. Significantly less energy is consumed whenever Model X is not in use. The startup time of the instrument panel and Bluetooth could be slower.
    • Always Connected. Preserves cell connectivity when energy saving is active. This allows the mobile app to connect to Model X more quickly, and provide immediate internet access when entering the car. Slightly more energy is consumed.
    So in theory keeping connectivity on should allow for quicker access. It might be that the car still needs to "wake up" and reconnect to either LTE or WiFi after the good night of sleep. It all depends on how we define "more quickly".

• Informative x 1
  4. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

I agree with @arcus. Always Connected allows the app to connect more quickly. I leave "Always Connected" off and the app still connects, but I have to wait about 15 to 20 seconds for he car to wake up.
    If you are having trouble getting the app to connect, that would be unrelated to the Always Connected switch.

5. Yapo

Yapo Member

I have energy saving mode on and always connected on. I picked up the car September 14th, since then I had to park for many days the car for 2 long trips I had to take. On the first occasion I couldn’t access the car after day 3 and when I got back I had to reset in order to gain LTE connectivity again. Today is the second occasion I could connect for 8 days but cannot currently. I am really curious to check about this when I get back. On both occasions the car was fully charged.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

This is strange. Using TeslaFi with sleep mode, which means Energy Saver on and Always Connected OFF. Never have a problem when I get near the car with the fob. Maybe the two modes are conflicting with each other? Apps also work within a few seconds (perhaps 15 if sleeping, but that’s the point of saving energy... :D ).

7. jgalak

jgalak Member

Was at service center today for other reasons and talked to tech about this. He suggested turning "always connected" off and see if it helps. He says with "always connected" it sometimes "latches" onto a network connection that gets weak, but doesn't transfer to another.

I'm somewhat dubious but will try it.

8. boaterva

Uh.... what is it transferring to around your house? It only has one wifi network in it set up, right?

I would think more likely is that the two should be 'paired'. If you want to use Energy Saving, then don't use Always Connected. If you want to use Always Connected, then forget Energy Saving.

Neither one means much if you are charging all the time at home, which you should be doing if you can. (And I see you are.)

So, why are you even trying to do this? :D Leave 'Always Connected' ON and 'Energy Savings' OFF

These settings are made for those that want to reduce vampire losses because the car isn't charged all the time and want to extend range. Nice to explore theoretically, here, though.

9. BrettS

BrettS Member

Likely he meant that would stay on a weak cellular connection instead of switching to a strong wifi connection, or perhaps vice versa.

10. boaterva

Gotcha. Hm.... this all still seems like an academic exercise if you have the car charging. :)

11. jgalak

jgalak Member

The reason I would prefer energy saving is that I have a long commute, and no way to charge at work. So while the car is parked there for 8+ hours, it'd be best to minimize vampiric loss. Especially as sometimes I have additional long trips to do after work, which really push into the optimal battery capacity.

At home overnight it doesn't matter.

12. boaterva

Gotcha, that’s a definite use case! Have you tried Energy Saving Enabled and Always Connected Off? I found no issues with that, that’s what TeslaFi uses to minimize loss (and let the car sleep) and seems to be most logical.