TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Connectivity: service plan/upgradability/speed

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dsm363, Sep 2, 2012.

1. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#1 dsm363, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
    Some of the discussion regarding Model S data service discussed here among a few other topics
    warranty/maintenance speculation/3G

Unknown at this point is if the cost of the data plan and the exact download speed. 3G has been reported but it looks like 4G will be supported in the future. One year of data is included with the Signature Series.

Some good information from the above thread started by kevincwelch

update: KenEE confirmed from Tesla that 4G can be added in the future.

2. setritt

setritt p6652

would be nice to have 4G - many people plan to keep this car for quite a while and 4G will be standard in the next few years much like 3G is now

3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Wondering what the economics for cell carriers (AT&T/Verizon etc) is regarding 3G vs. LTE. Given that 3G equipment is mostly sunk costs, might they offer sweet deals to Tesla to use 3G for a year or two, then when LTE is fully built out expect Tesla to upgrade or at least provide only LTE in 2013/2014 model year cars?

4. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

That's a very good thought. Any Telecomm gurus out there... If so, it may explain why Tesla isn't supporting LTE out of the gate in MS 1.0

I know that in large areas of the country, LTE for AT&T is barely developed. My suspicion is that AT&T is the contracted provider, so it stands to reason that it would need to be supported better in infrastructure before implementing this in the car. Also, if AT&T is the provider as I suspect, will they provide the hardware to support HSPA+. That is a reasonable intermediate step and should provide enough bandwidth speed for the car's needs.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That seems reasonable.

Telcos don't provide the hardware to handsets, cars, or other devices and Tesla doesn't make enough cars (yet) to have any telco provide more than minimum support. Telcos have millions of subscribers, at the end of 2013 there may be as many as 30,000 Teslas on the road if all goes well. 30,000 isn't a number to make any telco take notice let alone do something special.

6. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Sorry, when I said "they", I meant Tesla providing the hardware support via HSPA+ compatible hardware

7. jerry33

That now makes sense.

8. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

To be clear 4G != LTE.

And to be fair to HSPA+ (which is '4G' that is not LTE) LTE in its current form isn't really 4G either.

Right now 4G is an American marketing term.

4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

9. jerry33

That's certainly true.

10. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

Confirmed: Model S Hardware Supports 4G....

I didn't see this posted anywhere and I couldn't find the thread with the rumor, but Tesla just confirmed.

" I can confirm that comment. The hardware is installed on Model S to allow for 4G access at a future date. Currently, it is a 3G connection for Model S. A 4G connection is definitely faster, but I have heard that reception can be a little more spotty than a 3G connection. "

11. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Well, that's nice to hear, but the question really is which flavor of 4G are they talking about? Are they talking about the BS 4G that AT&T magically applied to all iPhones by changing the text "3" to the text "4"? Or, are they talking about LTE, which actually delivers substantially greater speed?

Having used my LTE iPad for awhile, my "4G" iPhone 4S is painfully slow.

12. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

They already signed with AT&T so I don't expect lte which is why I plan to use my droid razr to tether. Plus I wouldn't want to pay for AT&T and Verizon.

13. MikeK

My LTE iPad is on AT&T... :confused:

14. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Do they now? I use Verizon since AT&T coverage is awful in sf so I'm not paying two mobile companies for two different Internet plans.

15. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Agree.

I have an iphone that is sitting on my desk doing nothing (why, one would ask? Company gave me an iphone, and mine is still in contract ... I do use it to tether my laptop from time to time). I plan to hook that iphone up to my sedan.

As for the 3G/4G(LTE), and this is my opinion, the 3G is plenty fast for MLB AT BAT audio streaming, and pandora, and will be just fine so that I can fire up the air conditioner before I leave the building (I live in Texas as well). The LTE would be nice for video and labor intensive web browsing, which I will not be doing anyway. Granted, my crystal ball is cracked and the psychic beanie baby on my computer is for show only, but something in the future will demand the LTE, and by then, I certainly would seek an alternative.

Right now, thought, I already have that paid for (in contract) and it works fine on bluetooth ... so that is my plan

WJ
    McKinney, TX
    P188

16. MikeK

I agree that the 3G is fine for audio streaming and the like. Where it is not great is for doing things like loading the Google Maps tiles and so forth. Those feel quite sluggish.

17. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

/sarcasm on

Maybe they'll enable the 4G as part of the service package and the "updates" it provides.. otherwise, what's the cost to upgrade to 4G, cuz you know there'll be one..

/sarcasm off

18. metafor

metafor Member

LTE is actually cheaper to operate for the telecom companies than 3G due to the network architecture; that's why they're in such a hurry to switch to it.

However, being relatively new, having an LTE connection that would work with all carriers in the U.S. -- let alone the world -- is pretty much not possible. All mobile devices with LTE only operate on one carrier and I don't think Tesla wanted to produce different models for each carrier.

That being said, as LTE becomes more mainstream -- and carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile actually roll it out -- it should be relatively simple to change out the hardware and add support for those frequencies and carrier protocols. That's assuming they made it modular enough...

19. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

At the Newport Beach store yesterday, I was told in the US the connectivity package would be offered through AT&T. I was also told that you could opt for tethering to your own smartphone as an alternative.

20. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I wonder if this will qualify for one of those additional phone deals, if there is such a possibility.

Tethering, while possible, seems like small hassle. For those of us that have rooted our phones, the act of setting up a hotspot isn't a hassle; nor does it cost anything to do so. There is just something not right about having to tether the Model S to one's phone.

(Plus, with Sprint this would be an act of making the Model S slower wrt data transmission. Time to switch?)