Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When is iPhone/Android app coming out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Phone will permanently reside in car. It's a spare.

Big assumption that you'll be able to send instructions to your car that way. Doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't pay for the existing connection but include another phone instead. Guess it depends on what the Tesla connection costs.

BTW: What's the charging situation if you leave the phone plugged in? Will it draw from the 12v battery? If you don't plug it in, you have the extra hassle of always making sure it has juice - I know if I did that, the phone would run out just when I most needed it.

BTW: What's the charging situation if you leave the phone plugged in? Will it draw from the 12v battery? If you don't plug it in, you have the extra hassle of always making sure it has juice - I know if I did that, the phone would run out just when I most needed it.

good question. I know the Chevy Volts turn off the 12 volt accessory lines to avoid a dead 12 volt battery. Anyone know on the Model S??

When my car was delivered I was told they had enough iPhones and were just gathering the final Android beta applicants. I've heard the application functionality is rather good.

How will you use the app if you want connectivity through your phone? :confused:

(Discussion over here)

It was explained to me during the Get Amped event in DC that the iPhone/android app will not require a paid 3g/4g account through Tesla. They said they will use the same communication that they are using to push out the updates and it will be a free service. I don't believe you will need to tether a phone with data service or buy a 3g package from Tesla. We are talking about relatively small amounts of data that need to be sent/received. My understanding is that it will work like Amazon's Whispernet that they use for the kindle readers for downloading books. If it is not free, I would imagine perhaps a nominal annual fee just to cover any cost.

development guy emailed me in response to some questions last week and said that the app is in the approval process at apple and will be available as soon as that completes. it will be a download from the app store like other remote car apps now avail (ford, onstar, etc) and there will be a server sign-in and encryption that ensures only you can control your car.

fwiw.

development guy emailed me in response to some questions last week and said that the app is in the approval process at apple and will be available as soon as that completes. it will be a download from the app store like other remote car apps now avail (ford, onstar, etc) and there will be a server sign-in and encryption that ensures only you can control your car.

fwiw.

WhooHoo! I guess my daily check at the App Store becomes and hourly check :)

I figured they'd submit to Apple first since there's no review process on Android. So as soon as it's approved for the Apple App Store, they can flip the switch in Google Play and send out a press release.

Their site still says "later in the summer" (or some variant) though.