Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity: When will WiFi be enabled? (for Tethering and lack of 3G coverage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that the sim card is non-removable. I suppose if someone wanted to go through all the trouble, one could devise an adapter that contains wires and pins that get connected to the hard-wired sim, and goes to a circuit board that is then plugged into a phone to read the phone number.

I'm not sure it's non-removable--other than that it's not supposed to be removed by the owner. It is located in a very hard to get at area. (I think you have to remove the dash and display to get at it.)

I'm always suspicious when the finger gets pointed to someone else. Why would AT&T care if you knew the cell number? My iPad displays the cell number, and it is on AT&T. i think it is more likely that Tesla does not want people to know.

Perhaps, but I've also been responsible for large-scale contracts with service providers, and they do have some special requirements. Your iPad displays the number because you own it and the contract is with you. In this case, the contract is with Tesla.

The photo you posted says RAV4, which I assume is the Toyota RAV4. I don't have a link, but recall there were extensive discussions of it here and on Tesla's forum to the effect that the sim was hardwired in and could not be removed (people had indicated they wanted to swap the sim for a t-mobile sim or use the sim from their phone). i don't know how to search these two forums to find the link. Perhaps someone who knows how to do this can search for the past posts.

I don't think anyone is missing it too much as long as Tesla is footing the bill for the 3G connection :). Once that stops, I would like my car to get it's data through my phone via wifi connection (or bluetooth, but I don't think that's possible right now either).

Are you missing it though? Apart from helping some who may have poor cell coverage in their garages, what would the WiFi get you? Getting slave devices to connect through the car's WiFi, I suppose, unless such devices have faster (LTE) connectivity of their own...

Are you missing it though? Apart from helping some who may have poor cell coverage in their garages, what would the WiFi get you? Getting slave devices to connect through the car's WiFi, I suppose, unless such devices have faster (LTE) connectivity of their own...

I want:

* Ability to connect to my home's wifi to transfer music (and download updates)
* Ability to use the car as a wifi hotspot while driving (our A6 can do this, and for now I have to use a sprint hotspot in the Model S)
* What was promised to me when I bought the car.

There are people who live in areas with very poor AT&T service. Without WiFi, they are going to have difficulties getting software/firmware upgrades "over the air."
Sorry, in what areas do you get anything but poor AT&T service?
I had them for a couple of years ... they overcharge, provide the worst coverage, the worst customer service, the worst everything. And not just cell. I would never go back to them!

One question that hasn't been answered... do you need to subscribe to the Tesla 3G data plan in order to receive software updates? I find it difficult to believe they'll be forcing customers to buy a data plan, so methinks that as soon as WiFi is enabled on the vehicle is when we'll see what data plan package(s) they intend to offer.

One question that hasn't been answered... do you need to subscribe to the Tesla 3G data plan in order to receive software updates? I find it difficult to believe they'll be forcing customers to buy a data plan, so methinks that as soon as WiFi is enabled on the vehicle is when we'll see what data plan package(s) they intend to offer.

I do believe providing them over wifi/service center was the solution mentioned for those who wish not to subscribe.

I still hope they intend to keep the Wifi functionality though.

I don't think anyone is missing it too much as long as Tesla is footing the bill for the 3G connection :). Once that stops, I would like my car to get it's data through my phone via wifi connection (or bluetooth, but I don't think that's possible right now either).

Indeed. If TM keeps paying the mobile plan, I'm cool with taking a slightly slower connection. :rolleyes:

But, I think this is another case of "updating the page to reflect current reality", a bit like they did back when they temporarily removed the interior lighting. Right now the car doesn't support wi-fi, so don't list on the webpage. Once they got the support figured out, it'll come back.