Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does any Tesla (assuming the ||| will do likewise) maintain connectivity? Is it a case of Bluetooth to owner's cellphone, or does each car come with its own wireless system to perform necessary car to Tesla (and vice verse) data exchanges? Does this result in the owner incurring an additional monthly cellular data plan with a carrier? What is the cost? Thanks for clarifying this aspect of Tesla ownership.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiberius
In addition to cellular broadband 3G or LTE connectivity, each vehicle can connect via WiFi also with ability to login to password protected networks in the vicinity. Most owners I believe will have it setup so that once you drive home, your vehicle will automatically login to your home wifi network. Not sure which 802.11 protocol is being used (g, n or ac). I think that wifi is faster than cellular connections and thus upgrades to the car firmware may be faster but with all the different LTE protocols that may no longer be true. One downside to the LTE connectivity is that underground parking that blocks reception may limit or completely stop functionality such as locating your car, climate control, unlocking your car with the smartphone app even though your phone has connectivity. And vice Versa. So good to have your key with you...

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
My bet on why firmware only downloads via WiFi is to reduce cellular data usage and, thus, cost to Tesla.
Actually firmware updates are done over both LTE and WiFi. It is my understanding that the download speeds are different only due to the specs of the protocols used, not Tesla limiting speeds. Tesla has been very generous in providing free broadband cellular but I suspect at some point they will need to charge for it and probably should...(of course I'd rather get it for free as we all are now!)

Actually firmware updates are done over both LTE and WiFi. It is my understanding that the download speeds are different only due to the specs of the protocols used, not Tesla limiting speeds. Tesla has been very generous in providing free broadband cellular but I suspect at some point they will need to charge for it and probably should...(of course I'd rather get it for free as we all are now!)
Oh, thanks. I guess I misunderstood something along the way.

As long as the plan is covered in the cost of the car, Tesla doesn't need to charge anything. They would be buying Data at wholesale costs.

After the four years I suspect you have three options. Tethering with your phone. Adding to your plan as an extra data device like iPads today. Or paying for a separate plan.

No reason Telsa couldn't sell data plans after the 4 year period.

Of course, ideally the best thing is to have the car independently have a free cellular connection since you don't normally leave a cellular device in your car unless you are already in the car. My car got up to 94 degrees F today and was able to pre cool down to 68 prior to entering the car via the iPhone Tesla app. :)