Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ConnectMyEV has created world's first robotic charger for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
ConnectMyEV has created the world's first robotic charger for Electric Vehicles:

We see there are two models, one is an inductive charger that sits under the car, the other is a robotic arm that can plug into the charging port.

Looks pretty cool. I hope the company is successful. Robotic charging for EVs will be great when robotaxis become more widespread.

ConnectMyEV has created the world's first robotic charger for Electric Vehicles:

We see there are two models, one is an inductive charger that sits under the car, the other is a robotic arm that can plug into the charging port.

Looks pretty cool. I hope the company is successful. Robotic charging for EVs will be great when robotaxis become more widespread.

Wireless and robotic charging have use cases even without AVs, besides just convenience. Taxi ranks or constrained spaces for wireless, or people with physical impairment who'd have trouble plugging in.

I have a friend who plans to make their next vehicle a PHEV and their interest was piqued when wireless charging came up. But that's just for ultimate convenience.

Reactions: diplomat33
Wireless and robotic charging have use cases even without AVs.

I have a friend who plans to make their next vehicle a PHEV and their interest was piqued when wireless charging came up. But that's just for ultimate convenience.

True. Robotic charging for EVs would be the ultimate convenience. Just park and walk away.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I've always thought it fascinating that you have a vehicle that can drive (move itself from one place to another) so you make a robotic arm that can move itself from one place to another to plug a car in. Something like our Power Docking Port System always seemed to make more sense to me. The car already moves, why not have it plug itself in? For vertical takeoff and landing EVs this seems an absolute necessity.

Alas, but I've not been able to find the person that wants to fund development of this. Oh well, somebody will! (Fund the PDP or develop another.) Better ideas tend to percolate to the surface.

this was one of our major concerns with the PDP System when we went to EVTOLs. even though ours is specifically designed to withstand for object intrusion. Using road vehicles the connectors are always parallel to the ground and therefore much less likely to have issues of contamination. even then we had to account for it, being on the ground all the time just seems like a problem waiting to happen! We had to cover our ground base unit to keep it clean.