Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
I still don't understand some of the terminology, like Avcon and SPI. Will Model S come with adapters to work with these connectors?

In the pictures of this site it appears there is some adapter to allow a Leaf to charge here:
Camarillo Premium Outlets - Camarillo, CA - Recargo

And then on evchargermaps.com there are these terms:
  • SPI
  • LPI
  • AVC
  • TSL
  • DCQ
  • J1772
  • OC

What do these stand for (I know/guess some, like J1772 is obvious, and TSL is Tesla), and who/what uses these? Can they be adapted to J1772? Adapted to Model S?

Thanks

I still don't understand some of the terminology, like Avcon and SPI. Will Model S come with adapters to work with these connectors?
... snip ...
What do these stand for (I know/guess some, like J1772 is obvious, and TSL is Tesla), and who/what uses these? Can they be adapted to J1772? Adapted to Model S?

Thanks
The Google, It Knows! (EVChargerNews)

SPI - Small Paddle Inductive; Small Paddle Inductive Electric Vehicle Chargers | Electric Car Stations
LPI - Large Paddle ... the one before SPI
AVC - Avcon type charger. I think J1772 but haven't looked into it closely.
TSL - Tesla, I assume Roadster type
DCQ - Direct Current Quick charger; I think those are usually J1772?
J1772 - the nominal standard
OC - 'Other' Charger... in other words, read the dang description provided! (Could be NEMA...)

Looks like a terrible batch of terminology imho. Looking forward to common standards.

AVC - Avcon type charger. I think J1772 but haven't looked into it closely.
TSL - Tesla, I assume Roadster type

Avcon uses J1772 signaling but has a different head. I bought an adapter so I can take advantage of the few old ones of these still around without competing with Volts and Leafs. :)

TSL means Roadster, yes. Model S HPCs are supposed to come out next month.

In the wild, you mostly see J1772, but some old Avcon andSDPI and LPIs are around. Now way to adapt SPI or LPI to a Tesla.

Sounds like we can get an Avcon to J1772 adapter, then use the J1772 to Model S adapter.

How about Tesla roadster to Model S? I seem to remember seeing a few threads about that but I don't remember if they were conclusive.
I heard that some of the old Roadster HPCs have been converted to J1772 heads but not all.
Is there a Roadster to Model S adapter available?

Last I heard they will not be making this.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the sort of Avcon adapter that I should be looking for?
Avcon Claw Type Adapter for old J1772 | eBay
Looks like it provides a 14-50 outlet and I would plug in the UMC.
Or is there a version that has a J1772 plug output that plugs into the Model S (through its adapter)?

Thanks

Don't bother. Even at that price it's a big ugly box (only a 14-50) that you will never miss. Do you have a 40 on order?
The Avcons are VERY easy to swap with a J1772 plug so they are dropping like flies. There are none left in my 40 mile area along the 101 and even the one you posted is going to be updated to a J soon.