Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consensus on Gemini vs Induction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all. I’ve been lurking on these forums for weeks now. I am planning to order an MY LR soon, and the toughest decision for me is the wheels. I test drove a Performance. I’m fairly sure it was a PUP, though I was having too much fun and forgot to confirm that. Having read all the concerns about rough ride quality, I was surprised at how great the Performance felt. I didn’t think the ride was uncomfortable at all.

I’m in the Midwest, with streets that aren’t always maintained the best. So I’m debating with myself over the wheel choice, both in terms of comfort, winter performance, and durability when encountering pot holes. I prefer not to deal with snow tires. We don’t get a lot of snow anyway.

I’m also heavily leaning towards the MSM color, so I’ve been looking at pictures of both wheels with that color. I think if either the Gemini or Induction wheels were the only choice, I’d be happy with either one. But I’m finding it very difficult to choose between the two.

I’ve read all the threads I can find on either wheel, but didn’t see one that was explicitly a “vs” thread. What is the current consensus, if any, on these wheels?

FWIW, I just ordered my first Tesla, MY of course, on Monday. I also went with MSM and decided to pull the trigger on the Induction wheels. I have been doing a lot of reading since then and so far haven't really considered switching. Hopefully I won't regret that decision, but I am feeling good about it so far.

I have a MSM with induction. I am actually going to be borrowing a friends car w the geminis to compare, but i was surprised at how bumpy the ride is. I dont recall it being that bad on my test drive with the geminis. I'm coming from a Range Rover Evoque and I'm still having a hard time getting used to the bumps on the road. I find myself swerving around imperfections in the road. Something I've never done with any other car. People dont talk much about how stiff the suspension on the M3 and MY is. It's definitely not a comfortable ride on city roads in the northeast.
Inductions definitely look amazing with MSM, though. Totally changes the look of the car and makes it so much more aggressive

Have you read thru this thread?

19 vs 20 Decision Guide

might want to post there. I am agonizing over the same decision and will also be going with the MSM.

Extra range, comfort, and pothole protection are all very important to me. However, I do love the look of the inductions. Wish I could see them in person side by side.

Imagine my chagrin when your post lead me to realize there is a whole list of threads at the root of the Model Y section and not just inside the sub-sections like Driving Dynamics. I have more to read now. Thanks!

FWIW, I just ordered my first Tesla, MY of course, on Monday. I also went with MSM and decided to pull the trigger on the Induction wheels. I have been doing a lot of reading since then and so far haven't really considered switching. Hopefully I won't regret that decision, but I am feeling good about it so far.

Congrats! I’m anxiously waiting for when I can place my order (and then wait some more).

I have a MSM with induction. I am actually going to be borrowing a friends car w the geminis to compare, but i was surprised at how bumpy the ride is. I dont recall it being that bad on my test drive with the geminis. I'm coming from a Range Rover Evoque and I'm still having a hard time getting used to the bumps on the road. I find myself swerving around imperfections in the road. Something I've never done with any other car. People dont talk much about how stiff the suspension on the M3 and MY is. It's definitely not a comfortable ride on city roads in the northeast.
Inductions definitely look amazing with MSM, though. Totally changes the look of the car and makes it so much more aggressive

Keep us updating on your findings!

I’m coming from a Honda Accord, that doesn’t have an overly soft ride. I feel the bumps in the road with it. I’ve been thinking that the suspension of the car people are used to probably has a big influence on their perceptions of the MY.

I’ve gone back and forth on whether or not I like the aggressiveness. Ever since blacked-out wheels became popular, I’ve also had a hard time shaking the perceptions from my youth. When you saw a black wheel in the 80s or early 90s, it meant someone’s hubcap had fallen off and you were seeing the basic wheel. The Induction wheels look amazing with the red paint option though.

Reactions: laservet
Keep us updating on your findings!

I will!
Just curious if anyone else feels this way about the ride comforton the non air suspension Teslas...
I've driven most of what i consider to be the direct competitors in the class. Audi Q3/Q5, BMW X1 ,X3, Mercedes GLA and GLC, Acura MDX and RDX, RR Evoque and Velar, as wells as Volvo SUVS. I can honestly say that by a long shot the ride quality/comfort is lacking considerable compared to those. Maybe other people prefer "feeling" the road more..

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the Geminis, even though I didn't think the 21" wheels on the Performance MY I test drove were particularly harsh (I drove and Audi A4 for 16 years so I prefer a firm ride). However, I saw a MY with Geminis on the road today and didn't really care for the way they looked moving - seemed like the covers stick out from the wheels, almost looked like cheesy aftermarket fake wire wheels covers..... So now I am thinking about the optional 20" Induction wheels. I looked at Tire Rack and frankly, the per-tire cost differential between 19 and 20's isn't that great, $10 - $20 per tire depending on brand, and the range doesn't seem to be impacted much with the larger tires. I'm just not crazy about black wheels.

I had pretty much made up my mind to get the Geminis, even though I didn't think the 21" wheels on the Performance MY I test drove were particularly harsh (I drove and Audi A4 for 16 years so I prefer a firm ride). However, I saw a MY with Geminis on the road today and didn't really care for the way they looked moving - seemed like the covers stick out from the wheels, almost looked like cheesy aftermarket fake wire wheels covers..... So now I am thinking about the optional 20" Induction wheels. I looked at Tire Rack and frankly, the per-tire cost differential between 19 and 20's isn't that great, $10 - $20 per tire depending on brand, and the range doesn't seem to be impacted much with the larger tires. I'm just not crazy about black wheels.

what about the Geminis without the covers...what is your opinion on how they look?

FWIW, @DelCid

I don't have Inductions but had 20" Sportwheels on my MMYPuP for about 1K miles. I currently have 19 Geminis on for 1K miles. The first 700 miles where on 21 Uberturbines.

Over all the ride is stiff due to the Performance springs (I think) in any of the above wheels. With increasing cushion (less feeling bumps) from 19 vs 20 vs 21 wheels/tires. Can hardly feel any difference on cushion going from 21 to 20, but I can tell the difference 19 vs 21. The 19s definitely gave more cushion, with stiff Performance suspension.

Here are some pics, MSM, for visual fixation :D
20200620_110613.jpg

20200620_091916.jpg
20200613_172506.jpg
20200511_125233.jpg
20200418_143823.jpg
20200317_192128.jpg
20200317_182044.jpg

:cool:

The Gemini’s without the covers look pretty good. Would rather have them
Be the same color as the Model 3 tires without the covers though.

I do like the inductions but for $2k more and hit to range/comfort may not be worth it for me.
My understanding is there is “no” hit to range according to Tesla, between Gemini and inductions. I’ve gathered on the forums here it is around 5-10miles real world. Have you seen different?
Comfort has my interest piqued, but so far I’m thinking I will stick with inductions and change after feeling my daily commute for a bit.
As a newbie, appreciate the discussion everyone!

Reactions: DanDi58
My understanding is there is “no” hit to range according to Tesla, between Gemini and inductions. I’ve gathered on the forums here it is around 5-10miles real world. Have you seen different?
Comfort has my interest piqued, but so far I’m thinking I will stick with inductions and change after feeling my daily commute for a bit.
As a newbie, appreciate the discussion everyone!

not sure what the range hit is. Thought I read that it was a 7% difference but maybe that is high?

Hi, all. I’ve been lurking on these forums for weeks now. I am planning to order an MY LR soon, and the toughest decision for me is the wheels. I test drove a Performance. I’m fairly sure it was a PUP, though I was having too much fun and forgot to confirm that. Having read all the concerns about rough ride quality, I was surprised at how great the Performance felt. I didn’t think the ride was uncomfortable at all.

I’m in the Midwest, with streets that aren’t always maintained the best. So I’m debating with myself over the wheel choice, both in terms of comfort, winter performance, and durability when encountering pot holes. I prefer not to deal with snow tires. We don’t get a lot of snow anyway.

I’m also heavily leaning towards the MSM color, so I’ve been looking at pictures of both wheels with that color. I think if either the Gemini or Induction wheels were the only choice, I’d be happy with either one. But I’m finding it very difficult to choose between the two.

I’ve read all the threads I can find on either wheel, but didn’t see one that was explicitly a “vs” thread. What is the current consensus, if any, on these wheels?

I wouldn’t say there’s consensus per se, just individual preference. For me, the Geminis look cheap and are not attractive. They’re lighter wheels though and if comfort is your priority 19” is better than 20”. I got the inductions and with the black car I’m loving them. They look sharp and the ride is great for me.

Reactions: steve841