Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Conservative take on Oil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New video posted to the Owner's Forum today featuring the Roadster:

YouTube - Addicted to Oil

It is from Anne Korin's group Set America Free Coalition and is sort of an 8 minute distilled version of the same message from the hour-long speech she gave above.
Thanks for that. Quite a different message from "Drill Baby Drill!!!", which was the take home energy policy from the RNC. Not certain if a flex-fuel mandate is the best first step, however. There was a recent ABG article on that: Some politicians want to mandate 100% flex fuel capability - AutoblogGreen (btw, the commenter "doug" is not me).

I was back east when I first watched the Anne Korin Youtube videos linked by bobw above (thanks =) ). Coincidentally, on the same day, I heard part of an NPR show that had her on as a guest. I now realize that it was a rerun from just after Bush's 2006 "Addicted to Oil" State of the Union address. I link it below for those who might be interested (and can tollerate host's voice). The debate with the guy from the Cato Institute is pretty interesting.

WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Monday February 6, 2006
10:00 Breaking the "Oil Addiction"

A look at the president's proposals to reduce U.S. reliance on Middle East oil.
Guests

Jerry Taylor, Senior Fellow, Cato Institute

Joel Darmstadter, Senior Fellow, Resources for the Future

Anne Korin, Co-Director, Institute for the Analysis Of Global Security. Chair, The Set America Free Coalition

Listen to this segment
  • real.gif
    Real Audio
  • win.gif
    Windows Media

Last edited:
It's an election year. What does Friedman expect? Actual discussion of actual issues?

We do need to drill. Oil is useful stuff. We'll need it even after we stop burning it. Meanwhile every barrel pumped in the USA is money not going overseas. Drilling is a good idea.

We need to transition the entire fleet to flex-fuel vehicles. It gives us more options. Whatever biofuel/ethanol/methanol options there are, we can't use them if we can't use the fuel.

We need better battery manufacturing, in the USA, by companies not in one or another zaibatsu, so that production allocation is prioritized by contracts, not corporate afinity. The various Japanese manufacturers risk getting shafted if they source outside their zaibatsu just as the American companies do.

We need to get people to stop equating oil and renewables like solar and wind. It distorts their thinking. We generate almost no electricity by burning oil.

We need to do all these things and make sure we do not close out other alternatives. That means keep the government out of it as much as possible.

The last thing we need is an Apollo style program to fix the problem. The Apollo project taught the Soviets not to go head-to-head with the USA. That was good. It also gave us the illusion that we had space travel. That was bad. The shuttle then became the cuckoo in the space travel nest. To hell with the flying car. Where's my spacegoing DC3!

Besides, Friedman's an idiot. The world is not flat. If he hadn't made such a big splash and big bucks saying otherwise, the oil price spike might have him proclaiming that the world is bumpy! Or maybe he could say that everywhere is uphill from everywhere else. Of course, he might have to eat a little crow, and it just wouldn't have that ring to it.

Of course, Friedman's a richer idiot than I am. I can't even afford a Tesla Roadster. Is he on the waiting list?

Last edited:
I had to share this very good writing:

PnorbyCollapse
My Tea Party,

Let us never forget that the original patriots of the 1773 Tea Party threw overboard the product of an oppressive foreign nation and their East India Tea Company (EITC) who sought to relegate us to their servitude. Who severely misjudged the will of the American people for independence and misjudged their desire for tea at any price. A true modern day equivalent of a Tea Party acting in the spirit of those original patriots of 1773, would be one that threw overboard the product of foreign nations and their Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) who seek to relegate us to their servitude. Who severely misjudged the will of the American people for independence and misjudged their desire for gasoline at any price.A true Tea Party patriot would “make their own tea” for the equivalent of $0.40 cents a gallon of gas, and not make populist moronic proclamations such as “if you elect me I’ll give you $2.00 a gallon gasoline.” How’s that for a loaded but true paragraph?

Cheers
Peder (a lifelong conservative republican)
From the comments here:
http://blog.heartland.org/2011/09/renewable-energy-subsidies-are-a-waste-of-money/