TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Conservative take on Oil

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vfx, Aug 8, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. Joseph

Joseph Member

Thanks, this looks like some really good, solid info. Does anyone know where one can find the transcript for her speech?

3. graham

graham Active Member

This was great! Who is this person? I have never heard of her before.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

5. Joseph

Joseph Member

Here is her testimony before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. It pretty much sums up everything she said in the video.

testimony

And here is the website for the think tank she works for.

About IAGS

6. graham

graham Active Member

New video posted to the Owner's Forum today featuring the Roadster:

YouTube - Addicted to Oil

It is from Anne Korin's group Set America Free Coalition and is sort of an 8 minute distilled version of the same message from the hour-long speech she gave above.

And did I mention it features a Roadster? :smile:

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#8 doug, Sep 7, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks for that. Quite a different message from "Drill Baby Drill!!!", which was the take home energy policy from the RNC. Not certain if a flex-fuel mandate is the best first step, however. There was a recent ABG article on that: Some politicians want to mandate 100% flex fuel capability - AutoblogGreen (btw, the commenter "doug" is not me).

I was back east when I first watched the Anne Korin Youtube videos linked by bobw above (thanks =) ). Coincidentally, on the same day, I heard part of an NPR show that had her on as a guest. I now realize that it was a rerun from just after Bush's 2006 "Addicted to Oil" State of the Union address. I link it below for those who might be interested (and can tollerate host's voice). The debate with the guy from the Cato Institute is pretty interesting.

WAMU 88.5 FM American University Radio - The Diane Rehm Show for Monday February 6, 2006

8. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

9. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

#10 bobw, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
    It's an election year. What does Friedman expect? Actual discussion of actual issues?

We do need to drill. Oil is useful stuff. We'll need it even after we stop burning it. Meanwhile every barrel pumped in the USA is money not going overseas. Drilling is a good idea.

We need to transition the entire fleet to flex-fuel vehicles. It gives us more options. Whatever biofuel/ethanol/methanol options there are, we can't use them if we can't use the fuel.

We need better battery manufacturing, in the USA, by companies not in one or another zaibatsu, so that production allocation is prioritized by contracts, not corporate afinity. The various Japanese manufacturers risk getting shafted if they source outside their zaibatsu just as the American companies do.

We need to get people to stop equating oil and renewables like solar and wind. It distorts their thinking. We generate almost no electricity by burning oil.

We need to do all these things and make sure we do not close out other alternatives. That means keep the government out of it as much as possible.

The last thing we need is an Apollo style program to fix the problem. The Apollo project taught the Soviets not to go head-to-head with the USA. That was good. It also gave us the illusion that we had space travel. That was bad. The shuttle then became the cuckoo in the space travel nest. To hell with the flying car. Where's my spacegoing DC3!

Besides, Friedman's an idiot. The world is not flat. If he hadn't made such a big splash and big bucks saying otherwise, the oil price spike might have him proclaiming that the world is bumpy! Or maybe he could say that everywhere is uphill from everywhere else. Of course, he might have to eat a little crow, and it just wouldn't have that ring to it.

Of course, Friedman's a richer idiot than I am. I can't even afford a Tesla Roadster. Is he on the waiting list?

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I had to share this very good writing:

From the comments here:
    http://blog.heartland.org/2011/09/renewable-energy-subsidies-are-a-waste-of-money/

11. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

That's the way I see it.

12. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'll shift from drinking "tea" (=gasoline) and drink "coffee" (=electricity) instead!

13. GSP

GSP Member

Exactly. Me too.

GSP

14. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Interesting read. Perhaps the tip of an ice berg melting.