Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consider the differences in 7.1 and 7.0 when deciding whether to update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't update to 7.1 from 7.0 before knowing what you loose (autosteer, TACC, etc.)

See Firmware 7.1 to know what features you loose when going from 7.0 to 7.1.

Just from memory reading the thread:

- Nag every 5 minutes.
- Must jiggle wheel a precise amount, not a little, not a lot, otherwise you haven't answered nag.
- No TACC/Autosteer on many roads you used to use it on.

Over half the people who had regular routes using 7.0 autosteer and TACC are not able to use autosteer and TACC in as an effective manner with 7.1 on those same regular routes.

Read the thread to be sure you know what changed before updating.

Don't update to 7.1 from 7.0 without knowing what autosteer/TACC features you loose.

See Firmware 7.1 to understand you may be loosing particular features you depend on at this time in 7.0. Read that thread for the details. YMMV of course, but don't just jump and assume without looking.

Might be a bit early to be saying things like that, no?

A lot of us don't even have the update yet :wink:

Yes, and Tesla does a lot of absolutely wonderful new things with updates, so some people would probably be very excited to get a new Summon! feature only to find out that their car now puts them to sleep and causes crashes on commutes particular to their situation, or that they'd rather buy a Mercedes now, or something relatively (not absolutely) awful. It's just a warning. Many people will see the new restrictions and be OK with them, and some will actually like them (such as those driving often through Los Banos on CA-152 which has the dreaded highway into town slowdown and speedup march which 7.1 handles very well now, an area surrounded by a high number of freeways with clear division, which won't be that hurt by 7.1 except the new 5 minute jiggle nag), while others will find them deplorable (many highways with no division that they use every day). It's just a BEWARE! note, that I think a lot of people might have not quite been aware of when they see the brand spanking new feature list. There's even reports of it slowing the car down a lot if the speed limit sign has the wrong font (Oregon?).

My guess is the singular reason most people wouldn't want to update to 7.1 from 7.0 is the 5 minute nag combined with nag now being more nag since it requires a precise amount of steering wheel jiggle that is very hard to master. Secondarily, there may be people that were safely using TACC+Autosteer in undivided highways that would now be put in the cow line. Third, there are a few bugs related to the above two problems that people have been reporting, such as divided freeways which the Tesla makes them drive 45MPH on unless they just drive on it without AP assistance. Yes, that's not the end of the world for most people, but it is a downgrade.

Haven't we all at one point or another regretted updating our iPhone software? We spend 1/5th of our waking life in our car (give or take depending on commute distance and traffic -- for me it's 1/5th, and I'm in the middle of the pack locally), so it might turn out to matter to some people.

Last edited:
Don't update to 7.1 without knowing what you loose. Nag every 5 minutes, jiggle wheel, no autosteer or TACC in many situations.

See Firmware 7.1
Sorry, but this is pure FUD.

The only difference I've seen is the limitation of 5 mph over posted speed on secondary roads. In general it seems to work a bit better on secondary roads in that it can operate on sections it couldn't before.
The supposed nag is non-existent in my car and I've driven over 2 hours using AP. I have no idea what you mean by "jiggle wheel", it's always been the case that if the warning to hold the wheel came on, if you apply pressure to the wheel it goes away.

Do you even own a Tesla?

The only difference I've seen is the limitation of 5 mph over posted speed on secondary roads. In general it seems to work a bit better on secondary roads in that it can operate on sections it couldn't before.
The supposed nag is non-existent in my car and I've driven over 2 hours using AP. I have no idea what you mean by "jiggle wheel", it's always been the case that if the warning to hold the wheel came on, if you apply pressure to the wheel it goes away.

Do you even own a Tesla?

No, I do not, and although I've test driven a few I don't consider that a lot of experience. However, I have read most of the thread and seen multiple reports of the 5 minute nag and the jiggle problem, and of situations in which the car doesn't go with the flow of traffic in situations it used to.

I'm glad you said what you said: I'd rather be wrong. I'll come delete my posts within a day if I turn out to be wrong (such as 99% of the people reporting improvements and/or no problems).

No, I do not, and although I've test driven a few I don't consider that a lot of experience. However, I have read most of the thread and seen multiple reports of the 5 minute nag and the jiggle problem, and of situations in which the car doesn't go with the flow of traffic in situations it used to.

I'm glad you said what you said: I'd rather be wrong. I'll come delete my posts within a day if I turn out to be wrong (such as 99% of the people reporting improvements and/or no problems).

Wow... Really??? You started a FUD thread and you don't even have the car to know what the hell you're talking about???

Wow...

Jeff

Do you even own a Tesla?

I agree, I haven't seen much that you are giving up. I think I heard something about losing the "source" button on the radio control too (to the right of the equalizer button). That and the ability to go more than 5mph over the speed limit on secondary roads on autopilot. I've driven more than 2 hours, much of that with autopilot since the update and I don't notice any more "nag" than before. I didn't seem to take away too much.

Maybe I'm too much of a sheep, but if there is an update from Tesla, then I want it. Because it's what Tesla wants to have cars do and work like today. I gave up the "I bought a car and it's the way I bought it from now forever" when I got the Tesla. It's a platform and things will change, some I will like, some I may not. But it's how Tesla wants the cars to behave now. And the next update will be how they want them to behave then. But I bought the car going in with the idea things will change over time. I, for one, welcome our Tesla overlords and am along for the ride. I find it interesting to see what's coming next, more than I miss what was. Baaah....

Wow... Really??? You started a FUD thread and you don't even have the car to know what the hell you're talking about???

Wow...

Jeff

FUD would be saying it is bad. I said to go look at the thread describing people's experiences. There is a huge difference.

Also, I have been following Tesla for a long time. I'd like for them to succeed. I even own a few shares, so if anything, I'd like their value to go up. I want happy drivers and other drivers on the road that aren't fatigued while I'm out there. I'd like to own one someday. I'm trying to see if I can apply for a loan for one. What does owning one have to do with it? They are coming out with a less expensive Model 3 soon(ish?) supposedly, so the faster these ninny-state problems get dealt with the better. If 7.1 is genuinely OK, a little "read the results" warning from me won't stop the regular stuff that just works right from going forward.

I agree, I haven't seen much that you are giving up. I think I heard something about losing the "source" button on the radio control too (to the right of the equalizer button). That and the ability to go more than 5mph over the speed limit on secondary roads on autopilot. I've driven more than 2 hours, much of that with autopilot since the update and I don't notice any more "nag" than before. I didn't seem to take away too much.

Maybe I'm too much of a sheep, but if there is an update from Tesla, then I want it. Because it's what Tesla wants to have cars do and work like today. I gave up the "I bought a car and it's the way I bought it from now forever" when I got the Tesla. It's a platform and things will change, some I will like, some I may not. But it's how Tesla wants the cars to behave now. And the next update will be how they want them to behave then. But I bought the car going in with the idea things will change over time. I, for one, welcome our Tesla overlords and am along for the ride. I find it interesting to see what's coming next, more than I miss what was. Baaah....

Good perspective.

FUD would be saying it is bad. I said to go look at the thread describing people's experiences. There is a huge difference.

Also, I have been following Tesla for a long time. I'd like for them to succeed. I even own a few shares, so if anything, I'd like their value to go up. I want happy drivers and other drivers on the road that aren't fatigued while I'm out there. I'd like to own one someday. I'm trying to see if I can apply for a loan for one. What does owning one have to do with it? They are coming out with a less expensive Model 3 soon(ish?) supposedly, so the faster these ninny-state problems get dealt with the better. If 7.1 is genuinely OK, a little "read the results" warning from me won't stop the regular stuff that just works right from going forward.

See Firmware 7.1 to know what features you loose when going from 7.0 to 7.1.

Just from memory reading the thread:

- Nag every 5 minutes.
- Must jiggle wheel a precise amount, not a little, not a lot, otherwise you haven't answered nag.
- No TACC/Autosteer on many roads you used to use it on.

Over half the people who had regular routes using 7.0 autosteer and TACC are not able to use autosteer and TACC in as an effective manner with 7.1 on those same regular routes.

Read the thread to be sure you know what changed before updating.

That's not how I read it... Those seem like definitive statements.

Also, still waiting...

Please provide multiple links.

k.thanx.bye

Your in no position to make such claims and start such a thread without actually owning a car to know what was, or was not, changed in a firmware update. You simply don't know. How long you have followed Tesla and whatever aspirations you may have for the company have absolutely zero bearing when discussing the actual software on an actual car.

I don't understand how you think second, third, fourth hand knowledge could be something you'd build a foundation of truth on top of...

Jeff

FUD would be saying it is bad. I said to go look at the thread describing people's experiences. There is a huge difference....

Fear: Caution! Don't update to 7.1 because... things!
Uncertainty: I don't know any of this stuff for sure, but go read 600+ and (growing thread) to find out what problems people think might or might not exist
Doubt: I doubt you'd want to upgrade to 7.1

I think you got all three pretty well. IMO, 7.1 is a reasonable improvement in just about every respect with the possible exception of the lost media selector button.