Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering 2022 Model S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current MYLR owner and looking to upgrade into a MSLR. Tried to book a test drive to test the MS and online there was none available. Few hours later received a call from Tesla asking if I was looking to purchase the car soon since they have "new demos" left over from 2021 (refreshed) with a discount.

The catch, these 2021 MSLR and Plaid come with a damage disclosure (Im in FL). Repairs have been done to these cars that seems to be have been damaged during transportation or swap of panels. Decided to go yesterday and saw a midnight silver/black interior/21's. At first I couldn't tell that anything happened to the car, only 29 miles on the odometer with a $5k discount from MSRP. Only defect I found was the bumper on the drivers side headlight was loose, showing a gap, thats all.

So 2021 with 21's goes for $95k and with 19's $91k

In my case I really want to get it with white exterior/black interior/21's - that will be $99k, also being a 2022 I would be getting the new tail lights and charging port cover...don't care too much about the new headlights, like the looks of the pre-version.

Is it a good deal or pass? I wonder if Tesla will discount these even more? Maybe $10k off? Oh well, what do you guys think?

IMG_5422 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Does the damage show on carfax? Have to consider impact on resale as well, but unless you can find the exact color/option in this 'demo' bucket, I'd personally rather spend the extra 5K and order exactly what I want without any resale issues with the history.

Does the damage show on carfax? Have to consider impact on resale as well, but unless you can find the exact color/option in this 'demo' bucket, I'd personally rather spend the extra 5K and order exactly what I want without any resale issues with the history.

No, Carfax is clean (no records). Also talking about resale, a 2021 at the auction goes for $93k and a 2022 goes for $98k. So not that good resale value for any of them.

Reactions: gorilla83
In a couple years, the 2021 will be worth less than an equivalent 2022 on the used market simply because of year. Will it be more than $5k difference? Only the market will know/tell.

What I would NOT do at these price points, is compromise on a color combo that is not your first choice, or else you will most likely end up with regret.
Get the color combo you want as first priority in your choice

Nothing wrong with having body repair after an accident, IF you get it done by a "Tesla approved" body shop so you know it's been done right. I had a pickup try to park in front of me and ended up ripping the nose off my previous Tesla. Body shop bought all new fasteners, clips, panels, etc., and when done it was truly "good as new". Nothing wrong with a repaired car if it's been done right. It's like refusing a car because it had a flat and had to have the tire replaced.

Reactions: vapor trail
CarFax gets info from Insurance claims and police reports. Not body shops.

Correct, in this case Tesla have their own body shop, at least here in Orlando they have a Tesla collision center, which might explain why few months ago I drove by and saw over 20-30 Model S that seemed to be new parked on their lots. So most likely these repairs will never appear on the Carfax.

Also some SA's have told me that most of those cars had "rectifications" done to them, don't know if they were referring as to when the Model S got their 1st refresh on 2021.