Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering 2023 MX--The Yoke is a concern.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are the first person I've seen mention the yoke blocking part of the center screen and I don't know why. I have to lean over every time I have to hit the car icon and it blocks the driver's side cam too. I tried moving my seat, the yoke, everything and I can't figure out how it wouldn't block it for everyone...
But no one seems to care.

I do a lot of parking garage parking and the yoke sucks there.... Only real issue I've had.
The yoke does block the little “car” icon in the bottom left.

Reactions: Reggae_Jesus
The yoke does block the little “car” icon in the bottom left.
To me, this is an example of "we've got a couple of priorities, and we don't care how well they go together." Landscape screen orientation ('cause that's been a big hit on the Model 3); check. Bigger than the Model 3 screen ('cause we have to justify the higher cost); check. Yoke ('cause we need people to talk about something that makes the car more different from its predecessor models than it actually is); check.

Oh, wait, these things don't work well together? Ship it!

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
The yoke is a "98th percentile" usability thing. For 98% of the time it's fine, but it's not when it's an emergency situation and end up grabbing air. After months, I'm liking the automated part of the turn signals, the screens and such, along with the comfort. However, I find the horn placement terrible and can't wait for Tesla to get around to activating it in the center as it should be. The turn switches themselves aren't great either as I regularly miss the exact placement location - as with all the other switches. I get the wrong direction turn signal at times too. It's near impossible to locate the switch while the wheel is turning. They've included 2 bumps on the wheel to help with locating, but really should have done it for all of the different switches - none of them seem to fall naturally under my thumbs except the scroll wheels. I find myself doing a glance/check to ensure that I'm hitting what I need to hit. Lastly the gear shifter on the screen is again hit or miss. Too many times spent having to double swipe or triple swipe to activate a change in direction. This doesn't work well for quick situations such as parallel parking on busy streets. About the only thing they could do to help this is to give drivers the option of using the controls down by the hazard light switch, but again there's nothing there to quickly distinguish between P R N D and it's not exactly in a great place to use.

After months of this, I think it's a "fix" for something that never needed fixing and ended up being a step backward. Stalks are so much more effective, intuitive, universally used and make sense. The fact that there's a learning curve to this new arrangement shows it wasn't thought out.

The yoke is a "98th percentile" usability thing. For 98% of the time it's fine, but it's not when it's an emergency situation and end up grabbing air. After months, I'm liking the automated part of the turn signals, the screens and such, along with the comfort. However, I find the horn placement terrible and can't wait for Tesla to get around to activating it in the center as it should be. The turn switches themselves aren't great either as I regularly miss the exact placement location - as with all the other switches. I get the wrong direction turn signal at times too. It's near impossible to locate the switch while the wheel is turning. They've included 2 bumps on the wheel to help with locating, but really should have done it for all of the different switches - none of them seem to fall naturally under my thumbs except the scroll wheels. I find myself doing a glance/check to ensure that I'm hitting what I need to hit. Lastly the gear shifter on the screen is again hit or miss. Too many times spent having to double swipe or triple swipe to activate a change in direction. This doesn't work well for quick situations such as parallel parking on busy streets. About the only thing they could do to help this is to give drivers the option of using the controls down by the hazard light switch, but again there's nothing there to quickly distinguish between P R N D and it's not exactly in a great place to use.

After months of this, I think it's a "fix" for something that never needed fixing and ended up being a step backward. Stalks are so much more effective, intuitive, universally used and make sense. The fact that there's a learning curve to this new arrangement shows it wasn't thought out.
How do you activate the P R N D down by the hazard switch? I feel like I remember catching a glimpse of them once, but it could have just been when the sun hit that strip just right.

My struggle with swiping on the screen is that in every other I have/have had (Tesla included) you push up for reverse and pull down for drive (on the stalk). This is opposite. Several times when I was rushed I swiped down for drive and damn near hit something when I was startled at myself moving backwards. Everything else I’ve gotten used to in the few weeks I’ve had it…hopefully muscle memory kicks on this screen swiping thing. Right now I have to think about it still.

How do you activate the P R N D down by the hazard switch? I feel like I remember catching a glimpse of them once, but it could have just been when the sun hit that strip just right.
There currently is no way to request the hazard row buttons. They only come up when the screen is down for any reason (reboot while driving or a software crash). I agree, that option could be nice for some folks, some of the time.

There currently is no way to request the hazard row buttons. They only come up when the screen is down for any reason (reboot while driving or a software crash). I agree, that option could be nice for some folks, some of the time.
Well, there IS a way, but it takes a bit to activate it. If you hard press it, the switches light up - and it's slow. I was thinking that somewhere in the options, Tesla could have a toggle that would allow you to use this instead of the swipe. Again, though, it's not a physical switch, so it's still hit or miss. Still, I'd like to try it. Either that, or improve the swipe recognition to make it faster and less error prone.

Here's the reference: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

When I first got my Tesla I was ambivalent about the yoke. Its fine for a sedan, but I felt that it wouldn't be preferable on either the cybertruck or the roadster on the track. After getting FSD, I understand the vision. I think I would be frustrated constantly having to look around the top of a round steering wheel to see the dashboard. I will get the yoke on my next Tesla if it is an option.

However, can we PLEASE redo the buttons into a more natural configuration?????
I feel that generations of muscle memory require the horn to be in the middle.
Several times I have hit the middle in a panic situation only to find silence.
Despite 2 years of driving the yoke, I still have to think about which blinker is on the top. Silly!!
And if the yoke is turned upside down its almost impossible to figure out which blinker is correct.

At a MINIMUM, can we have this configuration? It is safer, more logical, and places safety features where they are more instinctively located.

yoke.jpg

This was the point of getting rid of physical buttons....we should be able to choose what's were and their icons would follow. I've given up on honking and just yell really loud.
That's probably why the added extra noise insulation in the glass. I know that when I'm yelling (because I can't find the damned horn) the other people don't even look. With the tinted glass it's like I'm invisible.

It would be a whole heap of a lot better if they just fixed the 3 inherent problems Tesla created: put back the damned horn, and put back the stalks so we can drive as we should.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Ultimately we are going to need the yoke to slide back and forth like a plane as we add the third axis dimension of height. How else will we be able to control the hover and accelerate features that the space X rocket option will provide?

The yoke DOES block visibility of, and access to the little car icon at the bottom left of the screen, and I have to look around the yoke to find it to press it. It would be far nicer to have that icon on the TOP left of the center screen since it is the main access to most of the car's features.

And then one day, partially out of frustration I gave the command "open menu" and viola! it worked. "close menu" will close the menu, so now I seldom have to hunt for the misplaced car icon!!

The yoke DOES block visibility of, and access to the little car icon at the bottom left of the screen, and I have to look around the yoke to find it to press it. It would be far nicer to have that icon on the TOP left of the center screen since it is the main access to most of the car's features.

And then one day, partially out of frustration I gave the command "open menu" and viola! it worked. "close menu" will close the menu, so now I seldom have to hunt for the misplaced car icon!!
You can also swipe in from the left...I have yet to mess with the voice stuff (another reason I don't need that as the button my hand naturally wants to hit).

When I first got my Tesla I was ambivalent about the yoke. Its fine for a sedan, but I felt that it wouldn't be preferable on either the cybertruck or the roadster on the track. After getting FSD, I understand the vision. I think I would be frustrated constantly having to look around the top of a round steering wheel to see the dashboard. I will get the yoke on my next Tesla if it is an option.

However, can we PLEASE redo the buttons into a more natural configuration?????
I feel that generations of muscle memory require the horn to be in the middle.
Several times I have hit the middle in a panic situation only to find silence.
Despite 2 years of driving the yoke, I still have to think about which blinker is on the top. Silly!!
And if the yoke is turned upside down its almost impossible to figure out which blinker is correct.

At a MINIMUM, can we have this configuration? It is safer, more logical, and places safety features where they are more instinctively located.

View attachment 901493
I agree that this makes sense, however I can’t see them changing it now. For one, they probably 10 zillion of them and two, I’m sure it would cause a crazy backlash.

I do get annoyed that the one thing the yoke does block is the thing I need to touch the most - that little car icon. Knowing the voice command opens/closes it is awesome! I tried a voice command to open a FWD the other day and it didn’t work. I need to use those commands more.
You can also swipe in from the left...I have yet to mess with the voice stuff (another reason I don't need that as the button my hand naturally wants to hit).
I’ll have to give this a try - I wasn’t aware of that but it makes sense. Thank you for sharing.

I keep hitting the windshield wiper button on the yoke . Wipers swipe a dry window, not the best given all the dirt and sand out here. Would like to have to make a more definitive push to make them work. Love the yoke and like just swiping the turn signals.