Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering 2023 MX--The Yoke is a concern.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a 2017 X and may at some point replace it with a new X but will need to try driving with the yoke first. Hopefully in the future Tesla will offer S/X test drives once they work through their order backlog. I think the strangest thing for me with the yoke wheel would be not having a turn signal stalk. After 53 years of driving with stalks that would take some getting used to, especially since my Model 3 of course has a stalk. I have enough issues right now switching between the 3 and the X when using Auto Pilot; the controls are completely different.

I really doubt Tesla will ever release a round steering wheel for vehicles with an Instrument Cluster Display. It simply interferes with viewing all of the display.
Drove an S for four years and now an X for 5 years and never had a problem viewing the drivers display (what you call the “instrument cluster”; it’s in the same place it has always been). I find that between the seat adjustments and the steering wheel adjustments it’s simple to obtain a clear view of the display while keeping a comfortable seating position.
I don't miss the stalks but fussing with and going through screen menus to do simple tasks seems to be a little like over engineering.
Agreed but I am training myself to use voice commands and they work pretty well.

Drove an S for four years and now an X for 5 years and never had a problem viewing the drivers display (what you call the “instrument cluster”; it’s in the same place it has always been). I find that between the seat adjustments and the steering wheel adjustments it’s simple to obtain a clear view of the display while keeping a comfortable seating position.
The specific problem I had with my 2018 X, was when I had the steering wheel in the optimum position for me, the "hill hold" icon was obscured by the wheel. I picked up my 2022 yesterday (jun-20), and I find the yoke wonderful. First of all the hill hold icon, overlays the speedometer, how clever! Now I do admit a couple of times I've grabbed air on top, but having the clear view of the ICD is just the berries for me. One other positive is, I've found is one hand on the lower left side of the yoke is much more reliable position to maintain the required torque to keep auto steer happy. Bottom line, after one day the yoke has met all of my expectations, and then some.

Coming from a 2016 S to a 2022 X LR. The yoke itself isn’t a problem, you will get used to it. I also daily drive my wife’s Y.

From my experience, you gain a few things from this upgrade…
  1. The new suspension
  2. New interior and mcu - much more responsive. But I find the ui kind of buggy. I don’t think one is better than the other, just newer
  3. Way more range - 90% previously was 338, now 450km
  4. New drivetrain pulls a lot harder at high speed

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
I find that hard to believe. It’s going to be challenging to sell a $100K car without letting prospective buyers take a test drive.
It has not been a problem so far. Until they can ship more cars than people are buying, after a year of waiting, there is no need for test drives. I know I didn't care, and was not disappointed.

The specific problem I had with my 2018 X, was when I had the steering wheel in the optimum position for me, the "hill hold" icon was obscured by the wheel. I picked up my 2022 yesterday (jun-20), and I find the yoke wonderful. First of all the hill hold icon, overlays the speedometer, how clever! Now I do admit a couple of times I've grabbed air on top, but having the clear view of the ICD is just the berries for me. One other positive is, I've found is one hand on the lower left side of the yoke is much more reliable position to maintain the required torque to keep auto steer happy. Bottom line, after one day the yoke has met all of my expectations, and then some.
I just got back from driving my wife's Model 3, after several weeks of driving only my new X. The round steering wheel is absolutely terrible. The Model 3 doesn't even have an instrument cluster to avoid. But the top part of the wheel just feels like something sticking up in the way.

The difference in going back to round, was far more difficult than driving the yoke for the first time.

Reactions: Tezlowski
I just got back from driving my wife's Model 3, after several weeks of driving only my new X. The round steering wheel is absolutely terrible. The Model 3 doesn't even have an instrument cluster to avoid. But the top part of the wheel just feels like something sticking up in the way.

The difference in going back to round, was far more difficult than driving the yoke for the first time.
I agree with you, I don't understand how people need a round steering to drive. When you have a round steering wheel, you have to adjust the steering wheel and seat to keep a clear view of the instrument cluster and not have what is most comfortable. It took me a couple of days to get used to by now its second nature. Maybe the people with issues have arm mobility issues?

I agree with you, I don't understand how people need a round steering to drive. When you have a round steering wheel, you have to adjust the steering wheel and seat to keep a clear view of the instrument cluster and not have what is most comfortable. It took me a couple of days to get used to by now its second nature. Maybe the people with issues have arm mobility issues?

Completely agree with both of you. It takes some getting use to but I far prefer it now. Somehow people forget how innovative this company is and that there is naturally a learning curve for multiple reasons... it's somewhat a whole different driving experience on many different levels. It's such a clean and simple design. Of course there are still improvements to be made to things in UI and all, but it's still lightyears ahead of the competition no matter how hard the haters and naysayers want to claim. YOKE IT BABY!

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017

Such a personal opinion on the wheel. Turo rented a 3 and liked the wheel better. But REALLY REALLY liked having stalks for turn signals and highs. Think those 2 as buttons on the X are a serious misstep.

Oh, and the forward/reverse slider in the screen of the X is ok. The Auto Direction is wrong alot for us though. I think I will start keeping track of how often is it right VS wrong. That is the future, where the car will automatically know where to go, once FSD is complete. Yup.

I just picked up an X on Monday and of course it has the yoke. I've been driving a Model S with conventional wheel and stalks for many years. I actually enjoy the yoke. I don't mind the turn signal buttons either. I needed the horn once and it wasn't a problem. The one thing I think they need to fix though is the windshield wipers. It's raining buckets and took me far too long to find out that the windshield wiper is turned on via the touchscreen. I think that's a miss. Or at least make it a control that I can "pin" to the screen like I can the seat heaters. Other than that, I have no complaints!

The one thing I think they need to fix though is the windshield wipers. It's raining buckets and took me far too long to find out that the windshield wiper is turned on via the touchscreen.
My suggestion would be to leave the wipers on Auto so that they will probably come on automatically when it starts to rain, and if they don’t then go to the touchscreen. I agree that wipers should be a control you can “pin” the screen at the bottom.

I fully appreciate that Tesla’s Auto wipers are far from perfect; some people find that work satisfactorily most of the time and other people feel they are terrible.

I just picked up an X on Monday and of course it has the yoke. I've been driving a Model S with conventional wheel and stalks for many years. I actually enjoy the yoke. I don't mind the turn signal buttons either. I needed the horn once and it wasn't a problem. The one thing I think they need to fix though is the windshield wipers. It's raining buckets and took me far too long to find out that the windshield wiper is turned on via the touchscreen. I think that's a miss. Or at least make it a control that I can "pin" to the screen like I can the seat heaters. Other than that, I have no complaints!
I find that voice works for most things including wipers and I do not have to mess with the screen while driving. Here is a partial list of commands.

Took me less than 48 hrs of owning car to adapt to yoke. No problems. Typical old-lady driver. Also, as old lady driver, I never had used voice commands on my phone and don’t use Siri etc but voice works great in the 2022 Mx for adjusting temp, windshield washer, lights, etc. still learning voice commands but easy and no groping and looking away from road to find a menu on screen. Also, once washer button or headlights pushed, choices appear on dashboard easily visible and left scroll allows choices like high low, auto, slow medium fast. Now roughly 1 month after taking possession of 2022 MX August build w tilt screen (love it) and find the car amazing. Very little to no road noise. Learning autopilot and getting comfortable w that before going with paid for FSD. . About 4000 miles so far, lots of interstate highway. I am not a “car” person and keep cars 15-17 years.

Reactions: jboy210
I think the car show is a great idea. I guess we’re lucky in the DC area, I’ve been able to sit in a couple in showrooms here. Of course, haven’t been able to drive it. But, that limited experience revealed another design oddity about the yoke: depending on how you configure the seat and wheel (in my case, ideal for my size, legs, arms) the right side of the yoke obscures the left side of the screen. Doesn’t happen with the vertical screen orientation of the older MS, and it doesn’t happen with the wheel in the Model 3. I’m sure others have different experiences, but I’d pick a wheel (I never had a problem with the instrument cluster in my 2016 MS) over the yoke for yet another reason. Just my $.02.
You are the first person I've seen mention the yoke blocking part of the center screen and I don't know why. I have to lean over every time I have to hit the car icon and it blocks the driver's side cam too. I tried moving my seat, the yoke, everything and I can't figure out how it wouldn't block it for everyone...
But no one seems to care.

I do a lot of parking garage parking and the yoke sucks there.... Only real issue I've had.

Reactions: FirstInTown