Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always click that off each time I look at pricing, so I forget that is even there. Since their "potential savings" includes more than local rebates, I really hate that they do that. its somewhat misleading at best, and nefarious at worst.
Absolutely. I can understand the objective (vs budgeting for an ICE car that required much more maintenance and other costs) that's not the number they want from me when I take delivery.

Wow, great response, thanks! Really appreciate the information. If there were no hard cap to MSRP for the EV rebate, it'd be a no brainer. As it is, the aftermarket autopilot isn't a problem, although there is sales tax, but considering I'd be able to get charge card points, I guess it comes down to a net ~5% tax on the autopilot (any card companies do better than 2% when used at Tesla?).
So, I think I'd get the extended range.
Again, great reply, thanks!
I apologize if I missed it above, but are you able to charge at home as well as at work? Weekends etc - that’ll matter. See, here’s the thing. You may only drive 200 miles per week now ... but once you have a Model 3, you’re going to be looking for excuses to drive it. Really — I’m 2 years in, and can’t believe how much I love the thing.

Now that said .... in the depths of winter, expect a 30-40% range decrease on the very coldest of days. So you’d be looking at 155-160 mile range in the real world in February. PS - I think winter tires are unnecessary here (unless you have the 20” wheels with summer tires.) The thing is a surefooted beast.

Bear in mind there’s other differences between SR and LR as well:

- dual motor (AWD)
- much better audio
- heated rear seats
- fog lights
- accent lighting
- floor mats

Truth be told, if you really do plan to keep the car for 10 years, maybe the LR is the right call. Nobody ever regrets having too much range or a better stereo. And that stereo matters more than it seems — we occasionally watch movies in the car, or even take it to the drive-in theater in Warwick. In Model 3, that’s a genuine *experience*!

Especially because you’d be looking to hold onto the car so long, I think my heart leans towards the LR. You can stay under the $55k cap and still do an LR. That said, we don’t entirely know what the NJ rebate program is going to look like when it comes back in the new Fiscal year (July) .... it was so popular the budget disappeared very quickly in the first round.

lastly, both yourself and @sroy - since you’re in NJ, we have a local Tesla owners’ club here in NJ. Come check us out at www.dvto.club - we’re starting in person meetups again shortly, so would be a great way to get some “hands on” time with the cars and hear some real world experiences.

On a wholly unrelated note, do I know you from All Things Macintosh on another forum by chance??

...Truth be told, if you really do plan to keep the car for 10 years, maybe the LR is the right call.
Yup, it's not a game changer (never would have considered otherwise, were it not for the rebate program and the MSRP cap issue).
While I've read that the car does well in snow, I can see a situation where the rear wheels could be stuck in a mound, thus the need for AWD becomes evident.
Not saying the AWD is the same as RWD plus snow tires (really not sure which is better), but if there was an equivalency, and it's a choice between RWD and swapping tires' versus AWD, I'm voting AWD.
Bottom line, I'm getting the LR version.

...You can stay under the $55k cap and still do an LR.
I'll just have to buy the autopilot aftermarket, so there'll be a tax

...And that stereo matters more than it seems —
Can't wait to listen to talk radio in stereo!

...That said, we don’t entirely know what the NJ rebate program is going to look like when it comes back in the new Fiscal year (July) .... it was so popular the budget disappeared very quickly in the first round.
Planning on ordering it July 1, irrespective of whether they redo the previous program, or modify (reduce?) it. Not going to wait for 'the bigger better' option.
According to the EV Rebate people, the order date of July 1 would be honored, even if they program isn't set up or finalized by that time. If not, I'm not going to be financially ruined if I miss out.

...On a wholly unrelated note, do I know you from All Things Macintosh on another forum by chance??
Guilty as charged (hope that doesn't get me banned cancelled).

Last edited:
My brother lives much further up north and owns an SR+ and he's not having issues in the winter. Although he does uses winter tires. It's actually mandatory there anyway.

I for sure went with the AWD because I've only ever owned FWD which handles better in snow than RWD. I plan to travel there frequently so I need a "real winters"-ready car. I went with AWD because I am not as used to drive in snow now that I'm in NJ. I would agree that NJ winters aren't severe enough to require winter tires. My personal take on it is that with winter tires, snowstorms "just happens". Without, they become "snow days". It is very unsafe to drive all seasons in snowstorms.

In short: if you think about driving north frequently during the winter I would recommend winter tires more than I would recommend the AWD. With winter tires you won't be stuck during big snow falls.

Yup, it's not a game changer (never would have considered otherwise, were it not for the rebate program and the MSRP cap issue).
While I've read that the car does well in snow, I can see a situation where the rear wheels could be stuck in a mound, thus the need for AWD becomes evident.
Not saying the AWD is the same as RWD plus snow tires (really not sure which is better), but if there was an equivalency, and it's a choice between RWD and swapping tires' versus AWD, I'm voting AWD.
Bottom line, I'm getting the LR version.

LR is a good choice. Have a friend of mine who bought the SR+ and kinda-sorta regrets it. He loves the car but just knowing there’s more out there is enough to drive him batty. You’ll be fine in the winter - the low center of gravity and great weight distribution frontreally helps this thing be super stable.

I'll just have to buy the autopilot aftermarket, so there'll be a tax
Yup, unfortunately. Still advantageous to add it afterwards. Remember you’ll get “regular” Autopilot with the car. It’s the Full Self Driving package that’s extra $$. (Summon; auto lane changing; traffic light recognition; and soon, city streets....)
Can't wait to listen to talk radio in stereo!
Haha! I do enjoy listening to music in the car and you really should give the drive-in movie a try ... it’s a great experience in Model 3!

Planning on ordering it July 1, irrespective of whether they redo the previous program, or modify (reduce?) it. Not going to wait for 'the bigger better' option.

much like buying a Mac, if you keep waiting for the next one because it’s going to be “better” — you’ll wait forever!
Guilty as charged (hope that doesn't get me banned cancelled).
I’m just thrilled to see a familiar “face” here!! So glad you’re here. :)
Hopefully you can makes one of our cars-n-coffee events here in the Garden State! After a decade+ would be great to meet you in person.

Reactions: haroldo
That makes sense. I was thinking about 8 wheels and 8 tires and I would do it myself but having 8 tires for 4 wheels and let the professionals change out the tires is a great idea.

Keep in mind unmounting and remounting tires on the same rims increases wear and tear on them.

I would still recommend a separate set of wheel/tires for the winter.

... My personal take on it is that with winter tires, snowstorms "just happens". Without, they become "snow days". It is very unsafe to drive all seasons in snowstorms.

In short: if you think about driving north frequently during the winter I would recommend winter tires more than I would recommend the AWD. With winter tires you won't be stuck during big snow falls.
I'm a wimp and okay staying off the roads when they're bad.

As an aside, a few years ago there was a major snow/ice storm mid afternoon (it was in November).
It started very lightly, and I told co-workers "It's too early in the year, I'm not ready for this shift, I'm outta here" (although I used a different word, hint, remove the F)
My assistant made fun of me for chickening out.
The next day I found out most took 90 minutes to get out of the parking lot and one co-worker timed 45 minutes sitting underneath a traffic light. Their commutes home were around 3-4 hours
Yeah, I'm the type that will head home and avoid the bad roads.

... the extended range bumps me over the NJ EV Rebate (55,000 MSRP cap)
I am also a Northern NJ driver and decided to go with the LR just so I always have plenty of battery as the car ages even when it's 10 degrees.

I am also watching the 5K rebate, and was wondering about the max MSRP. Are you sure it will still be 55K this year? I am a little worried they may decrease it to 50K. When I ordered my MY it was 49,990, but adding white seats bumped it to 50,990.

I have no reason to suspect this other than "50 seems like a nice round number" :)

Get the LR. Huge step up. You will be very happy. I do t know what car you are coming from but 1 month in on my performance and it was $39.68 increase of electric bill vs my 240-260 a month on gas (I did come from 14mpg premium gas though). Having AWD will be an advantage. Plus it’s much more fun to drive.

Im in nyc and didn’t even consider the SR+; yes, maybe our finances are different, but the LR is a hell of the car for the money.

I am also a Northern NJ driver and decided to go with the LR just so I always have plenty of battery as the car ages even when it's 10 degrees.

I am also watching the 5K rebate, and was wondering about the max MSRP. Are you sure it will still be 55K this year? I am a little worried they may decrease it to 50K. When I ordered my MY it was 49,990, but adding white seats bumped it to 50,990.

I have no reason to suspect this other than "50 seems like a nice round number" :)
As far as I can tell, the only thing left to do is implement the dealership side of things. Everything else is set already. The goal of the program is to reduce the CO2 generating miles and the program is designed to favor the longest range. The S is probably deemed too luxury to fit the intent but it's obvious it was designed around the LR M3 tesla (+ the Ford Mach-e). I do not expect a reduction in the amounts neither a reduction of the target price.

Reactions: dmurphy
There is a more detailed thread on the subject in the model Y subforum. Next board meeting is April 27th (next week) where there may be an update to that program. The offshore project is kicked off and I think the commercial EV one as well so the individual program is hopefully next to the agenda. In any case, I'm delaying until July 1st.

Reactions: haroldo
There is a more detailed thread on the subject in the model Y subforum. Next board meeting is April 27th (next week) where there may be an update to that program. The offshore project is kicked off and I think the commercial EV one as well so the individual program is hopefully next to the agenda. In any case, I'm delaying until July 1st.

Still nonplussed they booted the home charging program until “later” ... would’ve been nice but I’m now the proud owner of two wall connectors, so I’m set for a while.