Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model 3 LR as 2nd EV, have some questions

Hello. I'm looking to buy a 2nd EV to compliment my MachE (which I love and has been solid and now SO is on board with going full EV after a good experience). I'm looking at the Model 3 LR as it's smaller (don't need another SUV size vehicle) and has exceptional range. I have a few questions. Excuse the MachE comparisons but it's what I have the most experience with.

Dash Cam - Is it true I can use an small SSD or USB to record via front camera while driving? This is one thing I wish the MachE had standard, as well as Sentry Mode.

The website says the Model 3 has 360 camera view. Does that mean I can put camera in mode to see in real time the environment around the car? The MachE has it (called Bird's Eye view) and I find it invaluable when pulling into my garage. Same thing?

Glass - Does the Model 3 LR have double thick glass? Website does not say. I've read mixed from online research. I enjoy this in the MachE and am hoping this is the case as it really cuts down on road noise.

Y glass comes blacked out, does current Model 3? (no need to tint?)

Seats and ride - is ride compared to Model Y more bumpy, harsher, better, same? Comfortable on long road trips? Seats in M3 are identical to Y yes?

Range - is stated range of 358 fairly accurate? What is real world average? My MachE is rated at 270 but I average 304 in ideal conditions. Anywhere near 340 would be great.

If an owner purchases the speed upgrade via the app (I understand this is a thing) can I flip between original 358 range mode and performance so if I want the best range it is still available post upgrade?

I've read Spotify App is buggy. Tracks cut out etc. Is this still a thing? If so, are people using bluetooth to stream music primarily?

Thank you in advance

Dashcam records continuously when you have a USB stick installed, but doesn't save it all. You have to push a button or honk the horn to save the previous 10 minutes.

The rear and side camera views come on the display when you push a button, and automatically when you shift into reverse.

Rated range is accurate on a warm day; as much as 30% less on a cold day (defroster & heater on).

Don't know about the Y.

You can use Bluetooth or USB for music if you like.

Reactions: Maric

RayK

Safety Score 96 (Will I ever get to 100?)
Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Dashcam: Yes, you plug in a USB flash drive or SSD in order to store recordings made by the cameras. It does not have a real 360 degree bird's eye camera view. It does have 6 cameras but only four of them are used with the dashcam; front, rear, two fender cameras.

Glass: Newer 3's have "dual pane" (read: laminated) glass but I'm not sure exactly when it was implemented (late 2020?). I don't believe that is has "blacked out" glass. It IS tinted but not to the point where you can't see through it.

Seats: I've never been in a Y so no idea. I will say that it's not too comfortable for tall adults in the back for a long drive. I'm 5-5 and I've ridden in the back without too much discomfort. It's the high floor - low seat combination.

Range: I'd say probably accurate, IF you drive exclusively in the city and don't exceed 50MPH. As with gas mileage, YMMV.

Speed Upgrade: By this I assume you mean Acceleration Boost. I don't have it (requires AWD IIRC) but I believe your overall mileage won't change, as long as you drive like you didn't have it. In other words, keep a light foot on the accelerator and you'll probably get your rated range.

Spotify: I do have a Spotify account but haven't used it much. We have a family plan that my wife bought when she drives her Ridgeline and I've added the account to the Spotify app in my car. I've listened a couple of times and did not experience any dropouts.

If an owner purchases the speed upgrade via the app (I understand this is a thing) can I flip between original 358 range mode and performance so if I want the best range it is still available post upgrade?

"Acceleration Boost" increases the acceleration on an already fast car (very fast car). It doesn't alter the range at all... only your ability to deminish that range by launching even faster from a stand still.

So... if you're a very conservative driver, you'll get the rated range (or better sometimes). If you're a street racer, you'll get nowhere near the rated range. Acceleration Boost isn't something a conservative driver will be prone to take advantage of (better off saving the $2k). If you're the type of driver that will notice the difference with Acceleration Boost, you'll likely not get rated range anyways.

"Acceleration Boost" increases the acceleration on an already fast car (very fast car). It doesn't alter the range at all... only your ability to deminish that range by launching even faster from a stand still.

So... if you're a very conservative driver, you'll get the rated range (or better sometimes). If you're a street racer, you'll get nowhere near the rated range. Acceleration Boost isn't something a conservative driver will be prone to take advantage of (better off saving the $2k). If you're the type of driver that will notice the difference with Acceleration Boost, you'll likely not get rated range anyways.

Thanks. I like to have the option. I totally get that if I’m being quick to start off the line or rapidly accelerating that my range will be heavily affected. I don’t really want to splurge for the M3P right now but if I want a little more power down the line it’s a nice option to be able to add it. Wish Ford had that on the MachE.

Reactions: father_of_6
Hello. I'm looking to buy a 2nd EV to compliment my MachE (which I love and has been solid and now SO is on board with going full EV after a good experience). I'm looking at the Model 3 LR as it's smaller (don't need another SUV size vehicle) and has exceptional range. I have a few questions. Excuse the MachE comparisons but it's what I have the most experience with.

Dash Cam - Is it true I can use an small SSD or USB to record via front camera while driving? This is one thing I wish the MachE had standard, as well as Sentry Mode.

The website says the Model 3 has 360 camera view. Does that mean I can put camera in mode to see in real time the environment around the car? The MachE has it (called Bird's Eye view) and I find it invaluable when pulling into my garage. Same thing?

Glass - Does the Model 3 LR have double thick glass? Website does not say. I've read mixed from online research. I enjoy this in the MachE and am hoping this is the case as it really cuts down on road noise.

Seats and ride - is ride compared to Model Y more bumpy, harsher, better, same? Comfortable on long road trips? Seats in M3 are identical to Y yes?

Range - is stated range of 358 fairly accurate? What is real world average? My MachE is rated at 270 but I average 304 in ideal conditions. Anywhere near 340 would be great.

I've read Spotify App is buggy. Tracks cut out etc. Is this still a thing? If so, are people using bluetooth to stream music primarily?

Thank you in advance
I've owned a Mach-E Premium RWD SR, two Model Ys, and soon a Model 3 RWD. I can answer some questions.

1) Teslas include a USB stick in the glove compartment for for Sentry + Dashcam.

2) Teslas do not have a 360 camera. Nope. Loved it on my MME and wished my Model Y had it.

3) The whole Teslas louder than the Mach-E or other EVs is FUD (except maybe the Ioniq 5 - which is noticeably quieter than Teslas and the MME). See Bjorn's noise tests. I've performed my own dB measuring and the difference is maybe 1-2 dB. My RAV4 Prime in gas/HV mode is 5-10 db louder than when in EV mode - which is the same db level as the Model Y and MME. All EVs are quiet. One of my biggest gripes about the MME was the crappy/noisy stock Michelin Primacy tires over rough highways. Much louder than anything I experienced with my ID.4, RAV4 Prime, or Model Y.

4) The ride of the Model Y is about the same as the MME. Both are quite harsh. Neither are soft/gentle like the ID.4 nor the Ioniq 5. The seats of the 3 and Y are the same. Weirdly, I had to use a seat cushion on my MME because I found the Premium seats too thin.

5) Don't know about the M3LR range but I can also confirm the MME easily exceeds the EPA range (my SR had 211 EPA but easily got 230+). My Model Y with mixed city/highway driving easily hits 320+... Teslas are extremely efficient at mixed driving and more efficient than most EVs. However, driving most highway will definitely crush your range.

6) You can not switch between Range and Performance via software. M3P and MYP have different motors, brakes, suspension.

7)You can use Bluetooth to stream SiriusXM, Apple Music, or even Spotify. Spotify is not buggy on Teslas. CarPlay is a giant bugfest to me. I don't miss it but am forced to use it on the Prime (soon to be traded). What is buggy on Teslas is outdated maps or questionable navigation with traffic.

I spent an afternoon with a pre-release Mach-E back in February 2021. Pretty impressive for a first effort from Ford. Having said that if you are OK with the ride and handling of the Mach-E the Tesla model 3 will be a big improvement for you. The Tesla seats are great too. Take one for a drive.

By comparison, the ride quality of the Mach-E was my biggest turn off. Noisy, thumpy, lame McPherson strut front suspension. I thought it rode like a truck. Fair because it is a truck. Someone coming from an Explorer would think it just fine.

I spent an afternoon with a pre-release Mach-E back in February 2021. Pretty impressive for a first effort from Ford. Having said that if you are OK with the ride and handling of the Mach-E the Tesla model 3 will be a big improvement for you. The Tesla seats are great too. Take one for a drive.

By comparison, the ride quality of the Mach-E was my biggest turn off. Noisy, thumpy, lame McPherson strut front suspension. I thought it rode like a truck. Fair because it is a truck. Someone coming from an Explorer would think it just fine.
Not sure I agree completely with your ride quality assessment. Ours is super smooth but feels a touch heavier than the M3LR. Responsiveness and 'tightness' of the GT trim may be a slight step above the M3LR.

Ride vs Y: With the same rims, tires, and road the 3's ride is less harsh than the Y. Not a lot but enough to be noticeable. If you want the softest ride get the 18" wheels as the tires will have more sidewall.

Dual pane glass: Following the 3LR delivery thread buyers are reporting new deliveries are coming with dual pane glass for front windows but not the rear.

Seats: Same as Y but lower seating height. I would not want to ride in the back of a 3 for a longer drive as my knees are almost at the same height as my chest. Y backseat is much more adult friendly.

• Informative

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA

Thank you in advance

Here are my opinions / answers to your questions below:

Dashcam: If by "small USB or SSD" you mean roughly 128GB or bigger, then yes this is true.

360 Degree camera: No tesla has a 360 degree camera, so if the Tesla website is "the website" you mention, its pretty misleading. When the car is parked, with sentry mode on, you can access the cameras to see around it (forward, left, right OR rear, not all at the same time). My previous BMWs had 360 degree camera and neither my model 3 nor my wifes model Y would I consider having the same. I miss it a bit but for parking, the ability to see rear and side cameras helps a lot.

Glass: I believe some of the glass (rear window and rear glass) may be the laminated glass. I dont think the front windows are (or have not seen anyone in the US post about taking delivery with a car with it). I dont know about 2022 model 3s, but my wifes new 2022 Model Y is much better built and perceptively "quieter" than my 2018 model 3.

I have not measured it (and dont intend to), as I still enjoy driving my model 3, but its a bit noisier than I would like, as far as wind noise. I would imagine the new 2022 model 3 is closer to the 2022 model Y than my 2018 model 3 in this regard.

Range: No, 358 is not "reasonably accurate. I doubt you will average 304 in real world conditions in this car. I am also not sure how you are measuring that because I doubt you are driving from 100% to 0 daily, but I am not (not not not not) going further into the "range" topic than that, and will just point you to the 200+ page stickied range thread in the model 3 battery subforum, and say "no, you will not get close to 358 miles range, you will be lucky to average 300".

Acceleration boost: There is no "Range mode" on a model 3 so no, you will not be toggling back and forth. You can simply "drive less aggressively" and your range would be the same as a car without the acceleration boost, but there is no "range mode" like model S and X had.

Spotify: Probably depends on the ATT coverage in your area. It works fine for me, with the exception of a couple of areas close to my house that drop ATT signal (that I am aware of).

On a side note, OP, you have been on TMC a while, and the previous threads you participated in (not using mod powers to look at that, anyone can see that if they look) were about model 3 delivery issues, etc.

I think you already know quite a bit about tesla (like the range, for example).

• Informative

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC

New cars come with a 128GB stick already, older ones you have to bring your own stick.

Dashcam as long as the car is "awake/on" will record from 4 cameras (front, rear, and two side/rear looking ones) to the stick, in a 60 minute looping buffer. You can manually tell it to save the most recent 10 minutes long-term either with a button or horn press.

Sentry mode, which you can enable to be on when the car is parked, will, if it goes to alert mode from something approaching the vehicle, also automatically move the last 10 minutes of dashcam footage to a sentry folder for later viewing.

Nope.

Tesla can't see super close all around the car (especially anything in front of the front fenders and front hood) so no 360 parking view.

It can see 360 around the car further away though- which is what the autopilot/FSD cameras are doing, and dashcam is using 4 of those cameras to record to the stick.

With the app you can live-view any one of those 4 cameras when parked- but in the car itself you only get the rear cam on the display when backing up- and you'll get the relevant side/rear facing cam when the turn signal is on-- otherwise you can't live-view on the car itself when car is in motion.

Not sure I agree completely with your ride quality assessment. Ours is super smooth but feels a touch heavier than the M3LR. Responsiveness and 'tightness' of the GT trim may be a slight step above the M3LR.

I would not use smooth to describe the Y/3/MME ride. All great on smooth newly paved roads... but you need to drive the Ioniq 5 + EV6 + ID.4

I had heard complaints about MachE ride but I have a First Edition 4X and it is a smooth ride. You can definitely feel the weight of the car. I came from an Audi Q5 to the MachE and I actually prefer the MachE. It's super quiet and very comfortable on long road trips. Having a good first EV experience has really sold me on never going back.

This thread has been really helpful. I think I'm set on going with the M3 LR to compliment the MachE. I appreciate everyone's input.

I still think it's bizarre Tesla does not have the 360 birds eye camera as it seems the hardware is there and wouldn't be too difficult to implement software wise.

I had heard complaints about MachE ride but I have a First Edition 4X and it is a smooth ride. You can definitely feel the weight of the car. I came from an Audi Q5 to the MachE and I actually prefer the MachE. It's super quiet and very comfortable on long road trips. Having a good first EV experience has really sold me on never going back.

This thread has been really helpful. I think I'm set on going with the M3 LR to compliment the MachE. I appreciate everyone's input.

I still think it's bizarre Tesla does not have the 360 birds eye camera as it seems the hardware is there and wouldn't be too difficult to implement software wise.
Hah, same for us - we sold our 2017 Audi Q5 and definitely prefer the Mach E that replaced it.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA

Its not, though (hardware already there). All the 360 cameras I have seen have cameras in the front bumper somewhere (tesla doesnt), and underneath the side view mirrors (tesla doesnt).

@Knightshade is much better at explaining this than I am, but the cameras that teslas have on the car are not suited for (and were not intended to provide) 360 view.

There is a long thread on it somewhere here that you could dig around and find if you are interested in a long discussion on the topic, but "the hardware is alrady there" is not accurate, cause what they have there is not suitable for that feature.

Here are my opinions / answers to your questions below:

Dashcam: If by "small USB or SSD" you mean roughly 128GB or bigger, then yes this is true.

360 Degree camera: No tesla has a 360 degree camera, so if the Tesla website is "the website" you mention, its pretty misleading. When the car is parked, with sentry mode on, you can access the cameras to see around it (forward, left, right OR rear, not all at the same time). My previous BMWs had 360 degree camera and neither my model 3 nor my wifes model Y would I consider having the same. I miss it a bit but for parking, the ability to see rear and side cameras helps a lot.

Glass: I believe some of the glass (rear window and rear glass) may be the laminated glass. I dont think the front windows are (or have not seen anyone in the US post about taking delivery with a car with it). I dont know about 2022 model 3s, but my wifes new 2022 Model Y is much better built and perceptively "quieter" than my 2018 model 3.

I have not measured it (and dont intend to), as I still enjoy driving my model 3, but its a bit noisier than I would like, as far as wind noise. I would imagine the new 2022 model 3 is closer to the 2022 model Y than my 2018 model 3 in this regard.

Range: No, 358 is not "reasonably accurate. I doubt you will average 304 in real world conditions in this car. I am also not sure how you are measuring that because I doubt you are driving from 100% to 0 daily, but I am not (not not not not) going further into the "range" topic than that, and will just point you to the 200+ page stickied range thread in the model 3 battery subforum, and say "no, you will not get close to 358 miles range, you will be lucky to average 300".

Acceleration boost: There is no "Range mode" on a model 3 so no, you will not be toggling back and forth. You can simply "drive less aggressively" and your range would be the same as a car without the acceleration boost, but there is no "range mode" like model S and X had.

Spotify: Probably depends on the ATT coverage in your area. It works fine for me, with the exception of a couple of areas close to my house that drop ATT signal (that I am aware of).

On a side note, OP, you have been on TMC a while, and the previous threads you participated in (not using mod powers to look at that, anyone can see that if they look) were about model 3 delivery issues, etc.

I think you already know quite a bit about tesla (like the range, for example).

I have been out of the loop for awhile. I've been a Tesla fan since the Roadster. I used to read this forum alot and I have several friends with Teslas (though older builds).

I had bought a Y that I walked from due to too many issues at pickup (build quality/paint). That's what drove me to the MachE. And now that I have the MachE, I don't need another large SUVish EV so now pretty sure I'm going for the 3 LR. Regarding range, I'm a little surprised that the LR wouldn't easily get 300 miles. I know my mileage varies greatly on whether or not I'm driving with a lead foot so I can totally see that. But just driving normally in the city seems the average would be over 300? Anyway, thanks for the info very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Its not, though (hardware already there). All the 360 cameras I have seen have cameras in the front bumper somewhere (tesla doesnt), and underneath the side view mirrors (tesla doesnt).

@Knightshade is much better at explaining this than I am, but the cameras that teslas have on the car are not suited for (and were not intended to provide) 360 view.

There is a long thread on it somewhere here that you could dig around and find if you are interested in a long discussion on the topic, but "the hardware is alrady there" is not accurate, cause what they have there is not suitable for that feature.
Ahh ok. Yes the MachE has a camera on the front nose. That makes sense. Thanks.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I would not use smooth to describe the Y/3/MME ride. All great on smooth newly paved roads... but you need to drive the Ioniq 5 + EV6 + ID.4
Not a fan of the ID4 or Kia EV6 body. I know they are excellent EVs. I was considering the Ioniq 5 as I like the retro look but I've read they are suffering from 12v battery failure and some other 'new car' pains and I don't really want to deal with it.

Reactions: voxel
Just as a data point, I've heard of some having trouble with the Spotify app but I've had no problems. Even when I drive through the town where residents have banned cell towers because "they don't look good", I'll get "connection error" sometimes but a couple miles later when it reestablishes signal, the app starts right back up.

Mike

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC