Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model S - am I mad in my situation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How curious, they are adjusting the discount but not by the correct amount.

I was looking at the S100D earlier and saw the discount had increased compared to where it had been before.

... but on closer inspection although it has changed, it is not by the correct amount to adjust for the recent price change.

It is close but not quite there.

The S75D never had the same discount for being new inventory as they are more in demand so the net result with the not quite right price adjustment is that they end up more expensive.

I'd be inclined to ask Tesla about that directly as it is effectively putting a small premium on New Inventory S75D's which I can't imagine was the intention...

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I’ve spoken to Tesla and apparently the customer order on the website doesn’t include destination/docs, so the cars are identical prices. Apparently this is normal for a 0 mileage inventory car - they have never carried discount.

The main benefit of inventory is 2.9% apr vs 4.9%.

The good news is I’ve managed to arrange a 48 hour test drive to do my Glasgow run in a few weeks time. I just need to make sure I keep my wallet in my pocket until then and don’t get too giddy!

I’ve spoken to Tesla and apparently the customer order on the website doesn’t include destination/docs, so the cars are identical prices. Apparently this is normal for a 0 mileage inventory car - they have never carried discount.

That isn't the right answer either, if you print the detailed spec for the new vehicle you'll see that it does include the destination fee...

Screenshot_2018-07-23 print-pdf.png

They are correct when they say that a '50 mile' new inventory S75D doesn't receive a discount, that is what I was referring to earlier when I said that they had got the adjustment for the recent change wrong. leaving the inventory car at a premium.

On the other-hand the '50 mile' new inventory S100D cars do get a discount, it used to be £2,800 but is now similarly less by an odd amount since the price/spec change.

The main benefit of inventory is 2.9% apr vs 4.9%.

That is a benefit and actually an improvement since last month when the new inventory rates were 3.5% for S75D and 2.5% for S100D.

Have fun on the test drive!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
a bit of supercharging it's fun

Interesting description :)

Supercharging works reliably (unlike almost all public / 3rd party charging I have used). Plug-in, walk-away. Unlike ICE you can do something else whilst the car is charging - Pee/ Coffee, Emails, Sleep ... so no need to stand-and-pump and queue-to-pay.

For driver its a useful, enforced, rest every 1.5 - 2 hours. For a passenger it just prolongs the journey. If travelling with kids / pets maybe it coincides with enforced breaks anyway ...

but other than that, I'd say it was just a chore.

but other than that, I'd say it was just a chore.
I disagree just returned from a weekend away in Le Mans, France and using just the superchargers en route, they broke the journey down into bite size chunks allowed us all to stretch our legs and grab a coffee, use the facilities. It's amazing how many KMs it adds to a warm battery in just 10 mins. as you say public charging is messy this just works. I don't think Tesla has explained how complex it is to setup superchargers, buying land, wayleave agreements and installation efforts, they really should, it's a massive credit to the company

Last edited:
Reactions: .jg. and culverwood
The speed of supercharging in this warm weather seems much faster than earlier in the year.

Interesting. I only have one set of figures for charging-rate (I thought that was enough :) ), although i suppose I could just cherry-pick a few sessions from TeslaFi over the months of the year and see how they compare.

The one set I have was 5 minutes per 10% from 10% to 60%, 7m to 70%, 9m to 80%.

So assuming charging 10% to 60% (which would be hard to achieve getting arrival below 10% without squeaky-bum!) then allowing for 5 minutes in/out time, that's 50% gained in 5 x 5 +5 minutes = 30 mins = 110 miles, +60% in 37 mins = 132 miles, +70% = 46 mins = 154 miles

At 130 KPH

30 mins charge = 110 miles = 1h21m driving
37 mins charge = 132 miles = 1h38m driving
46 mins charge = 154 miles = 1h54m driving

Correspondingly less range per charge in a 75, and a bit more in a 100 (than my 90)

I'm definitely happy stopping every 2 hours although with two of us (e.g. driving to Alps to ski) we would just stop and change drivers other than the meal stop, but that apart stopping multiple times for 45 minutes every 2 hours would be a nuisance - unless I was a solo-driver.

My normal supercharging is once-a-journey, i.e. when my journey is between 220 miles max range and 350-ish miles max range for a single charge. In that situation (at 70 MPH) my drive is 3h30m and I don't mind a half hour stop in the middle, and mostly its less than 350 miles and thus only a get-me-home 10-15 minutes charging stop. I think that drive-charge-drive-charge is a different thing.

According to A Better Route Planner in an S100D the 700 miles to ski resort could be done with 56 minutes charging if I overnight in just the right place with a destination charger :)

For a straight-there journey in ICE we would stop for 30 minutes for a meal, and just swap drivers every 2 hours. In a 90 its 2 hours charging (adding 20% to the total time), in a 75 its 2h20m, so only another 1% time added and highest SoC was only 76%, so nothing "slow and into the 90's" which is good :)

I still think that's quite a PITA and we will continue to take ICE for that I expect ... although we are going to Edinburgh in a month's time, that's 360 miles each way, two stops (9mins and 27mins) which are pretty tolerable ... so maybe we'll change-tune after that experience. It's £70 of petrol alone ...

I just need to make sure I keep my wallet in my pocket until then and don’t get too giddy!

So, this is becoming harder!

I've pretty much decided that I'll order a 75D from inventory provided I get on OK on the test drive on 13th/14th. I figured given that Barclays can take up to 5 days to approve it would be worth getting the approval sorted now so that I can just order straight away. 2 hours later, I'm approved :rolleyes:

So I then went back to have a quick look at the inventory car I wanted and its disappeared from the Tesla inventory search - along with quite a few similar ones - however it still appears via the search on Tesla-Info that Mark linked too. I'm a bit concerned that inventory stock is drying up now that they've upped the APR on custom orders. Any thoughts?

So I then went back to have a quick look at the inventory car I wanted and its disappeared from the Tesla inventory search - along with quite a few similar ones - however it still appears via the search on Tesla-Info that Mark linked too. I'm a bit concerned that inventory stock is drying up now that they've upped the APR on custom orders. Any thoughts

They may well have been sold, or pulled as any sale wouldn’t have completed in time for the quarter end. The cars then reappear a bit later, and sometimes at higher prices I believe. If it were me I’d be on the phone and see if you can nail down the situation. Can you bring the test drive forward? BTW you won’t be disappointed by it!

Tesla came back to me at about 7pm - the car I want is still in stock. Hopefully it not appearing on the main website via search/filter will help prevent it being snapped up!

One final question (for now!)... does the UK UMC cable connect to type 2 chargers? I queried with Tesla earlier whether I'd be able to charge the loan car on a Type 2 charger (my hotel has one), and they said yes as a UMC cable would be included with the car. Everything I can find on this site and others suggests that the UMC requires an additional adapter to work with Type 2, but maybe that's included nowadays or outdated info?

I think it varies (like much with Tesla) my UMC came with the commando and domestic 3 pin adapters. I bought the Tesla Type 2 cable.

If you do need to get anything Xavier is your man. Tesla owner and started this business largely off demand from members of the closed Facebook Group.

https://www.xavelec.co.uk

Nevermind... answered my own question 30 secs after pressing post - typical! I guess all the info I'd read was in US forums/subforums

Yes, that does get confusing, but as you've discovered we are well provided for in the UK, your new car will come with everything you need for charging from UK mains sockets and a separate type 2 cable for public chargers (since April 2017)

Screenshot2.png

provided I get on OK on the test drive

That's a sale then!

Does the UK UMC cable connect to type 2 chargers?
UMC requires an additional adapter to work with Type 2

Just to clarify. You can't fit a UMC into a Type-2 - there isn't an adaptor available (nor possible as I understand it), but you get a separate Type-2 cable included.

The UMC has adaptors that plug into various things, typically 13AMP socket and Commando, but you can get a European "schuko" adaptor, and a 3-Phase commando adaptor etc.

Depending on where you live, and where you travel to, you might want to consider a CHAdeMO adaptor. CHAdeMO is about 50% the speed of Supercharger and Type-2 a lot slower.

My realworld miles gained are roughly:

Supercharger = 264MPH (between 10% and 70~80%) [varies with battery size, so a 75 might be less]
CHAdeMO = 88MPH
Type-2 = 20-30MPH
13AMP = 5-6 MPH

I'd be able to charge the loan car on a Type 2 charger (my hotel has one)

Make sure you check that there is a Type-2 cable in the loan car ... if not I'm sure Tesla will have one lying around.

If this is a hotel you own (rather than one you are visiting?) then I expect you would qualify for the Tesla Workplace Charger scheme. From memory Tesla will give you either 2 or 4 destination chargers, and they can be configured for Tesla / non-Tesla vehicles, so might be something you could install at your hotel :)

If this is a hotel you own

Sadly not, just the one where I'm staying whilst in the loan car.

There is so much conflicting info on what comes with the car in the UK and what the UMC can connect to, it's unreal. So it sounds like answering my question of "Can I charge at a Type 2 plug" with "Yes, the UMC cable will do that" was wrong on Tesla's part.

I shall call them again! Thanks all.