Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model S. What should I look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Happy For YOU Boourns! I am in a similar position as you (model 3 reservation, will be looking for a car to fill the gap till the 3 is ready) but my current lease is not up till November 28th. My budget will probably be about 40K and I will be considering the model S as an option when my lease is up. Like you I will be willing to forego the newer generation "goodies" in order to keep the price point down. So excited for you... please post pics and first impressions, driving experiences, etc. if you are so inclined. Would love to hear about the happy ending (or should I say "happy beginning") of your story!!

I am considering buying a classic Model S and was wondering if there are any issues I should be looking for or aware of. Here are the details:

2012 Model S (production date 12/15/12)
85 kWh battery (non-performance)
19'' wheels
Pano roof
Smart Air
No tech package
51k miles
VIN # P02413

This is actually a Tesla CPO, so I will have the 4 year/50k warranty, but was wondering if you all had any opinions on the expected reliability, issues to look for, or just general comments. I know the door handles were a source of problems but I believe since this has no tech package that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any input you might have.
By the way, this was a great post and thread!!

I think to rewind the clock back beneath about VIN 7000 is a point where lots of evolution was about to happen. That was Spring '13, when the sub-frames were upgraded. That softness made the cars porpoise a bit under throttle, in corners, which kept happening on the P suspensions until other changes also followed (fatter sways, P85+, then ball joints replacing rubber a year/2 later). No biggie, if you aren't big on taking corners fast. I wouldn't reject these cars out of hand, but think people underestimate how much happened during 2013 (Total package change during summer, parking sensors 'Fall..). When you know 2013 went from VIN3000, or 4000, all the way through ~30,000, give or take, you kind of understand how Tesla sharpened their production skills.

Boourns, I'd consider a front camera. If you hunt around, it has been done to a recipe that shouldn't be too hard to repeat. If you don't park in tight spaces, you could forget that, too. Congrats, be patient. With CPO, I think you did especially well.

Thanks for your input. I may consider a front camera, depending on the cost and whether I have the skillz to install it. I'm sure my wife would like it. While I will drive spirited every once in a while, I am not a huge corner carver. This car is mainly going to be a commuter and baby hauler. It is replacing a Mazda3, so it will be an upgrade in every way.

I honestly was having a hard time making a decision, as I really wanted the tech package and was a little worried about it being such an early VIN. But then I reminded myself that a Model S is my dream car. If I found a bag of cash buried in the snow under an ice scraper today, I'd go get a P90DL tomorrow. So for this car to be available at that price with the CPO warranty, 85 battery, air suspension, etc. complaining that it doesn't have every possible option I would want is sort of like complaining that your supermodel spouse only has a master's in theoretical physics and not a PhD. I guess that's a long winded way of saying I am very happy with my decision and can't wait.

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric