Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm probably in the same situation many are in. I have a perfectly good car that I bought new: 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT/ AWD, with every option, perfectly maintained with 48k miles. With the current vehicle shortage my Mazda is probably worth $3-5k more than it would be under normal circumstances.

I've driven the MY Long Range a few times and I'm impressed overall but feel some of it is just odd. I'm going to list some of my concerns about the car and hope some of you here in "the community" can help to quell them.

Frame less doors- The windows roll up/down every time the doors are opened and closed to clear window trim and seal windows better when doors are closed. This seems to be something that was done intentionally to secure repairs later in the vehicle's life cycle.

Sunroof with no shade- It gets damn hot here in Oklahoma. When I test drove the MY I noticed that whatever space age glass Tesla put on this roof it simply doesn't block enough light or heat. I understand there are aftermarket shades but from what I've seen most sag in the middle and look tacky. I've talked to a couple of tint shops and one refused to tint it stating that it could cause heat to build up and crack the glass and the other said they wouldn't because they didn't have the template. This is one area that I feel Tesla really went cheap.

Spartan Interior- This is a Love/Hate thing for me. At first the novelty of it took my breath away. Then I realized almost EVERYTHING is controlled through the display screen. I think there should be either a heads-up display or a small instrument cluster. Although, I did find that I got used to using the center display for speed and other functions. My biggest pet peeve is no dedicated door lock/unlock button.

Thermal battery capacity loss- I've watched several videos discussing this topic and it looks like extreme cold can impact range by over 30%.

Electric door release- The only way to open the doors (from the outside) is thought the electric release door handles. How do you get into this car if it goes completely dead?

I'm still muddling through details and haven't placed my order yet. Tesla's site currently states the delivery date as 6 months out but a service center associate told me delivery would likely be 2-4 months.

Reactions: GadgetGary
@Okcharge72 Good concerns, but you have to see how Tesla was build from the ground up,
so any simplification allowing to save weight, to improve efficiency,
and cost, while keeping the quality high, was certainly the main issue when designing the car.

To have an overall idea of some advanced technological solutions used by Tesla
you should watch Sandy Muro videos, in particular the Ford Mach-E Teardown
presents some comparisons with the Model Y teradown.

Frame less doors

Saving weight might have been a major consideration.​

Sunroof with no shade

I put some screens that you can get for very cheap on AliExpress, eBay, Amazon​
I would have preferred having an integrated solution with a rolling screen,​
because when it is not sunny it would be nice to see the surrounding and the sky.​

Spartan Interior

The single display controllling everything is not really an issue, when you get used too,​
but I would prefer having an auxilliary screen to see the map, like with the Model S.​

I wonder if there is not a lock/unlock icon, at least there is one on the phone App,​
but I almost never used it. The door lock itself, so I imagine you want to lock from the inside.​

Thermal battery capacity loss

This will occur with any car, so improving efficiency with an optimised cooling and heating system​
using a heat pump was a great improvment.​

Electric door release

There is a way to open the frunk and to jumpstart the 12 V battery.​
However if the electronic is dead, like in case of flooding, I don't know any mechanical solution.​

I'm probably in the same situation many are in. I have a perfectly good car that I bought new: 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT/ AWD, with every option, perfectly maintained with 48k miles. With the current vehicle shortage my Mazda is probably worth $3-5k more than it would be under normal circumstances.

I've driven the MY Long Range a few times and I'm impressed overall but feel some of it is just odd. I'm going to list some of my concerns about the car and hope some of you here in "the community" can help to quell them.

Frame less doors- The windows roll up/down every time the doors are opened and closed to clear window trim and seal windows better when doors are closed. This seems to be something that was done intentionally to secure repairs later in the vehicle's life cycle.

Sunroof with no shade- It gets damn hot here in Oklahoma. When I test drove the MY I noticed that whatever space age glass Tesla put on this roof it simply doesn't block enough light or heat. I understand there are aftermarket shades but from what I've seen most sag in the middle and look tacky. I've talked to a couple of tint shops and one refused to tint it stating that it could cause heat to build up and crack the glass and the other said they wouldn't because they didn't have the template. This is one area that I feel Tesla really went cheap.

Spartan Interior- This is a Love/Hate thing for me. At first the novelty of it took my breath away. Then I realized almost EVERYTHING is controlled through the display screen. I think there should be either a heads-up display or a small instrument cluster. Although, I did find that I got used to using the center display for speed and other functions. My biggest pet peeve is no dedicated door lock/unlock button.

Thermal battery capacity loss- I've watched several videos discussing this topic and it looks like extreme cold can impact range by over 30%.

Electric door release- The only way to open the doors (from the outside) is thought the electric release door handles. How do you get into this car if it goes completely dead?

I'm still muddling through details and haven't placed my order yet. Tesla's site currently states the delivery date as 6 months out but a service center associate told me delivery would likely be 2-4 months.
I've have my Model Y for about a month now. It's not perfect and it has its quirks, but absolutely no regrets.

I didn't have any issue with the frameless doors, they make no difference for me. I used to have a convertible before with frameless doors too, and it did the same. Actually, every car I have ever seen with frameless doors has done this. I highly doubt that Tesla made this choice with some dubious intent.

All touch screen, no physical controls: I got used to it but I'm not a big fan either. Having physical controls for some things is just way more convenient. That said, I am okay with the compromise because all-virtual controls means that literally everything in the car is upgradeable and that's worth the minor inconvenience for me.

Interior - given that those are the only options, I just choose to not think about this much. I used to have a Mercedes before and I definitely felt it was much more premium and refined, but I am okay with the interior. My life philosophy is that I just don't waste my energy disliking things I can't change. I wanted a Tesla, and that's the only interior they come with, I can surely live with that, end of story for me. But it's up to your personal preference.

Electric door release - WattsUp above already addressed that, but two additional things to consider (and this is not a deal breaker for me either, I just find it inconvenient): I have a black MY and I have to fumble around for a bit every time I need to open the car in a really dark place (like at night with bad or no street lights, in a rural area, etc.) because you have to push a specific spot and there is no light or anything to point you to it. So you just grapple the car awkwardly looking for the spot. Second, the driver side door can only be easily opened with your left hand, and the passenger side door with your right hand due to the asymmetrical arrangement (you are supposed to push in the handle with your thumb and then grab it with your fingers.) IMO, not the best design on both counts.

I have had a lot of different cars and drove even more (lots of car rentals around the world, so I tried a lot of different makes and models) my overall experience is that the Model Y is the best car I've ever driven. NOT perfect by any means, but still the best I've had. If I was offered to get my money back and get any other car I want, even a more expensive one, I would still want a Tesla - maybe a Model X, getting the MY was a financial decision (I didn't think the MX price premium was worth it).

The posts in response to yours do a good job in addressing your concerns. All I have to add is that in the over 6 years I’ve been on TMC your exact concerns have been expressed many times by many different people and you can find numerous threads here discussing same questions. During that time Tesla has sold well over a million cars; over a half million last year and this year it will greatly exceed that figure. Every year more and more people buy Teslas. Hear to argue with that kind of success.

My opinion only: if you like the car you have and aren’t sold on the things that are unique about Telsa, don’t buy it. It’s a lot of cash to only be semi-satisfied (or worse). And you’ll take a lot of flak from people on the boards if you do buy it and then come and complain about the things you knew coming into it.

As to a couple of your specific concerns:

(1) Frameless windows - these are not new or unique to Tesla. Many cars (even those that aren’t convertibles) have frameless doors. My last two BMW GTs had them, my son’s Mini has them, Subarus have them, etc. They are definitely a design choice, but the little window shift up/down is actually a good thing since it ensures that the window seats properly in the seal and continues to over time.

(2) Spartan interior - for me this is a personal taste thing. What I’ve always loved about most BMWs is that they’ve kept the switchgear understated and functional. I also appreciate Scandinavian design over more ornate approaches. People think my house is sparse, but I prefer clean lines and simple yet functional pieces. To each their own.

Best of luck in your consideration. There are going to be a lot of EVs coming in the next several years, and already there are a spectrum of those that feel more like current cars and others that feel more future-focused. Try several out and figure out which one fits your needs before you plunk down your cash.

Okcharge72: Honestly, if I had a list of concerns that long, I would have walked away from the MY months ago. Your concerns are legit, but based on the tone of your post, you "...have a very bad feeling about this."
Keep your Mazda! ;)

Reactions: dino007

According to this video, the MY OEM roof glass does a good job of blocking the heat (the video was made by a pro tinter):

As i understand it, the roof is the only glass in the MY with heat protection. You might want to take a look at tinting the rest of the glass to reduce solar heat gain but the roof shouldn't be the culprit.

My opinion only: if you like the car you have and aren’t sold on the things that are unique about Telsa, don’t buy it. It’s a lot of cash to only be semi-satisfied (or worse). And you’ll take a lot of flak from people on the boards if you do buy it and then come and complain about the things you knew coming into it.

As to a couple of your specific concerns:

(1) Frameless windows - these are not new or unique to Tesla. Many cars (even those that aren’t convertibles) have frameless doors. My last two BMW GTs had them, my son’s Mini has them, Subarus have them, etc. They are definitely a design choice, but the little window shift up/down is actually a good thing since it ensures that the window seats properly in the seal and continues to over time.

(2) Spartan interior - for me this is a personal taste thing. What I’ve always loved about most BMWs is that they’ve kept the switchgear understated and functional. I also appreciate Scandinavian design over more ornate approaches. People think my house is sparse, but I prefer clean lines and simple yet functional pieces. To each their own.

Best of luck in your consideration. There are going to be a lot of EVs coming in the next several years, and already there are a spectrum of those that feel more like current cars and others that feel more future-focused. Try several out and figure out which one fits your needs before you plunk down your cash.
This. If you're not in love with it what are the chances you will later?

Second on the frameless, my subie is frameless. And it's really freaking easy to break into, however the Tesla is like freaking fort knox. It's design is specific and in some ways it's indicative of Tesla. You either like it or you don't and if not give it a pass or not. I give it a pass because like I wrote it's fort knox, I don't fear anyone breaking into it.

Regarding the interior, I love it. I hate all the bells and whistles of German cars because ultimately that stuff all breaks and the Germans bank on it and keep you tied to a stealership for the life of the car. A Model 3/Y is soo damn easy to clean and keep clean. Few surfaces to scratch and mar, it's beautiful in that way. If you love buttons and switches, this car is not for you. Refer to first point above.

According to this video, the MY OEM roof glass does a good job of blocking the heat (the video was made by a pro tinter):

As i understand it, the roof is the only glass in the MY with heat protection. You might want to take a look at tinting the rest of the glass to reduce solar heat gain but the roof shouldn't be the culprit.
This is the case. The windshield let’s in a ton of heat that can readily be felt. The side windows do to but slightly less so. The glass gets warm to the touch but doesn’t transmit much heat at all. A good ceramic tint all around will make a world of difference and save you from running the AC as cold.

Frameless doors—I don’t like it but I’m used to it and it is not an issue.

re: dead battery. There is no reason you should run your car down to 10% or less without considering putting on the charger. It’s not like you can leave your lights on. The smart computer will shut off everything that zaps power once you drop below 20%.

the interior is minimal. I love that I don’t have to think when I get in and out of the car. I struggle driving other cars now as I often leave them in drive when I power them off, leave the keys inside and walk away (used to the phone key), or forget to lock the doors. The phone key and minimalist interior is actually helpful. Lots of storage space that is usable. Better visibility as well and, after you get over the novelty, less distractions in your forward vision. HUD is often brought up but after a week of driving you’ll soon find out it is unnecessary and not as helpful as you may think it is.

Good luck!

Reactions: GadgetGary
Yup there are things I don't like about the car (the Spartan interior is one of them), but the Pros far outweigh the Cons. Every car will have some things you don't like about it, and the vast majority of them you will get used to within a month, if not a week. You may still not like them, but you'll be OK with them. It all goes back to the pros vs cons, and they're individual priorities. I don't love my Tesla, and I probably never will.......and I have no regrets about having spent Cdn$70,000 on it (all in).

Twenty-five to 30% battery loss in the winter? That's true of every electric car, but Tesla is the most efficient, so it will deal with that issue better than the rest. Frameless doors? True of many cars other than Teslas - only you can decide how important that is. Heat through the glass roof? Yeah, but I've personally found it to be less than with other cars I've had in 95F sunshine. No key to open the door in a battery failure? Not uncommon in cars these days, and you'd have to go under the frunk to charge the 12V battery. Not as user friendly as having a key but, again, not just a Tesla thing.

Pros vs. cons. What are your priorities?

Sunroof heat? Y'all are dreaming if you think it isn't an issue, even with heat-rejecting tint. I have the highest rated tint, and the radiant heat from the heat-soaked glass is still too much for my precious head.
Tried the fabric shields: nope.
The ONLY thing, in my opinion, that rejects the light AND the radiant heat from the glass, is the rather unattractive HeatShield product.

How did I determine this? I removed the HeatShield for a day, here in the Fort Worth area. My heat meter (my HEAD!) felt like it would explode when the HeatShield wasn't in place.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Sunroof heat? Y'all are dreaming if you think it isn't an issue, even with heat-rejecting tint. I have the highest rated tint, and the radiant heat from the heat-soaked glass is still too much for my precious head.
Tried the fabric shields: nope.
The ONLY thing, in my opinion, that rejects the light AND the radiant heat from the glass, is the rather unattractive HeatShield product.

How did I determine this? I removed the HeatShield for a day, here in the Fort Worth area. My heat meter (my HEAD!) felt like it would explode when the HeatShield wasn't in place.
I have the Tesmanian shade, in addition to tinting the roof, and also have a bald head. No noticeable extra heat with the shade installed. With cooler weather I plan to remove the shade today, should be fine without it until Mar/Apr.

I have come to like the uncluttered spartan interior. If you watch Munro’s video, the costs of making and installing all the buttons can add up. And they are utterly unnecessary when you can control everything from a single center screen, especially with voice. Now I cringe every time I see an overly complicated dashboard typically seen on other cars, and most of them also have a large center screen too.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Yup there are things I don't like about the car (the Spartan interior is one of them), but the Pros far outweigh the Cons. Every car will have some things you don't like about it, and the vast majority of them you will get used to within a month, if not a week. You may still not like them, but you'll be OK with them. It all goes back to the pros vs cons, and they're individual priorities. I don't love my Tesla, and I probably never will.......and I have no regrets about having spent Cdn$70,000 on it (all in).

Twenty-five to 30% battery loss in the winter? That's true of every electric car, but Tesla is the most efficient, so it will deal with that issue better than the rest. Frameless doors? True of many cars other than Teslas - only you can decide how important that is. Heat through the glass roof? Yeah, but I've personally found it to be less than with other cars I've had in 95F sunshine. No key to open the door in a battery failure? Not uncommon in cars these days, and you'd have to go under the frunk to charge the 12V battery. Not as user friendly as having a key but, again, not just a Tesla thing.

Pros vs. cons. What are your priorities?
My primary concern with an EV is the ability to drive 100 miles (on 100% charge) from home and then back again with out having to worry if I'll make it home. This is with driving normal highway speeds of 65-75 mph.

My primary concern with an EV is the ability to drive 100 miles (on 100% charge) from home and then back again with out having to worry if I'll make it home. This is with driving normal highway speeds of 65-75 mph.
I'd suggest you take a look at the Superchargers along your usual routes - you can use supercharge.info to do that, or download the Plugshare app to see all available chargers. That might go a ways towards easing your concerns in this area at least.

No one can guarantee it, but I get about 240 miles per full charge on the highway at about 70-75 mph, in the summer. I know I won't get that much in the winter with snow tires on, probably 70% or 75% of that. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary ;)

If there's a Supercharger on your route, it will allow you some extra comfort knowing you can pick up some extra in even 15 minutes there. I do that when I go to the cottage: I could technically just do it on a full battery, but it leaves little leeway for detours, etc that I might face on route, so I stop mid-way at a Supercharger for 15-20 minutes to give me some wiggle room.

Reactions: Zythryn
No one can guarantee it, but I get about 240 miles per full charge on the highway at about 70-75 mph, in the summer. I know I won't get that much in the winter with snow tires on, probably 70% or 75% of that. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary ;)

If there's a Supercharger on your route, it will allow you some extra comfort knowing you can pick up some extra in even 15 minutes there. I do that when I go to the cottage: I could technically just do it on a full battery, but it leaves little leeway for detours, etc that I might face on route, so I stop mid-way at a Supercharger for 15-20 minutes to give me some wiggle room.
Do you not have access to any power source at your destination? Even if you plugged in a regular outlet it would give you more wiggle-room range in case of a traffic jam, severe headwind, etc... You didn't state if your car will be sitting at work or somewhere after the outward leg. You should normally be able to do a 200 mile trip without an issue, thinking of the just-in-case scenario's...

Reactions: Zythryn
I'm also in the camp for you to keep your Mazda.
The Tesla is an oddball car imo.
It doesn't include many options/extras included on many other cars
in this price range and even lower priced. Can't get XM radio. No blind spot monitoring on
sideview mirrors to alert of other cars. No front camera. There are many more
examples I just can't think of this second. Oh yeah - sun visor mounted garage door opener.
You can't even order one in your new Tesla - you must order it "ala-carte" and have a mobile
tech come out to install it ($325 at last look). Many cars in this price range include this.
I bought mine only due to the fact I'm always buying and selling my cars. I usually keep them maybe
2 years and want to try something else. The Tesla was my "next venture". I like the fact I don't have
to visit the gas station. This is also my first SUV, albeit a compact SUV, it is much easier entering/exiting
than my last car (2019 Kia Stinger GT2). Here in FL, got ALL glass tinted right away. Still feel the heat
coming in through the roof. Radio sounds very nice. A/C works well.
There are so many simple upgrades that can be made to this car to make it MUCH more enjoyable.
Too bad Tesla doesn't feel the same way. They just keep raising prices, and people keep ordering.
Good luck with your decision.