Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't miss most of this stuff because my previous car (2014 Mazda CX-5) had none of it, other than the blind spot monitoring (which still left a decent-sized blind spot for ME to monitor). I've been driving since 1974 so for most of my driving life, these convenience items haven't been around. My wife asks me why I look all around before reversing instead of just using the rear-view camera... To me, they are nice-to-haves, not need-to-haves. I'm no Luddite but the more sensors, the more things to go wrong. As it is, I'm dealing with a front parking sensor that randomly goes off, sometimes sitting in my driveway (I back in). That's frustrating enough without having 17 more that could fail.

FWIW, I just viewed a video about the soon to be available in the US Audi Q4 in a few flavors. It clearly is going in the more traditional style with lots of buttons and switches, and it is utilizing the VW drive train. Not a bad looking vehicle though; my feeling is that its targeted at a older demographic. What do you guys think?

FWIW, I just viewed a video about the soon to be available in the US Audi Q4 in a few flavors. It clearly is going in the more traditional style with lots of buttons and switches, and it is utilizing the VW drive train. Not a bad looking vehicle though; my feeling is that its targeted at a older demographic. What do you guys think?
I have been underwhelmed by Audi's EV offerings so far.

It shares the EV platform with VW (and a number of others) and VW's EVs have been very unimpressive performers. I suspect it will also be a Caspar Milquetoast.

Ok, but what if their intended market is folks who don't necessarily care about 0-60 or cornering performance? What if they care more about comfort, a quiet cabin, and (I don't know) other stuff?
If someone is after comfort or surrounded by luxury, MY would not be my first choice. Re: suspension and more a tech machine.

I agree Audi would be the better choice for those priorities.

Isn't it just an ID.4 with Audi luxuriousness?

I thought the Y only had forward radar, I don't think it ever had radar on the quarters.
Most cars are this way.

The rear quarters are ultrasonics... which I've read many cars use for rear cross traffic detection. I just went out and looked at the rear quarters and the sensors are there... so it could be possible with a Muskgrade. :)

Man, it's amazing we were able to park at all before these types of things.... :cool:
True. But we also didn't have one pedal and regen braking. Eg. Inching into the last 2 feet of my garage is easy with an ICE car because you're used to just letting your foot off the gas or brake and slowly rolling/inching in. Pressing the gas to inch in is very different and not natural (at least at first). So these common place features seem like a bit of a miss, especially given most come with very basic cars. Especially for a very tech forward company like Tesla.

True. But we also didn't have one pedal and regen braking. Eg. Inching into the last 2 feet of my garage is easy with an ICE car because you're used to just letting your foot off the gas or brake and slowly rolling/inching in. Pressing the gas to inch in is very different and not natural (at least at first). So these common place features seem like a bit of a miss, especially given most come with very basic cars. Especially for a very tech forward company like Tesla.

Inching into my garage with the sensors on my LR MY couldn't be easier and my garage is overcrowded with stuff on both sides and in front. If I can do it at 70, I don't want to hear BS crap about one pedal and regen braking making it difficult to park. So instead of get off my lawn, I will close with :"learn to drive"!

Most cars are this way.

The rear quarters are ultrasonics... which I've read many cars use for rear cross traffic detection. I just went out and looked at the rear quarters and the sensors are there... so it could be possible with a Muskgrade. :)
I don't think so. Ultrasonics sensor range only goes up to like 6'. Here's is an excerpt from Infiniti's cross traffic description:

Located behind the rear bumper cover, mounted to the quarter panels, are radar sensors. These sensors are used by the blind spot detection and rear cross traffic systems.

I can verify as such on the info display of my car, becuase it shows the ultrasonic sensor status separate from the radar sensors status

Reactions: BigNerd
Honestly, I find these fine movement controls are much easier with one pedal driving, than the traditional way with ICE cars... When I park the Y in the garage, I have < 2" clearance between the front of the car and the landing... Because I have the car on HOLD mode, as soon as I let off the accelerator, the car holds its position... I lightly tap/pulse the accelerator, and it nudges forward.... With my MDX, which has even less clearance in the front, it's not quite as easy, because when you let off the brake after you engage the parking brake, the car likes to roll a little.

knocks on wood... I have never ever hit the landing with the Y... I can park perfectly every time... With the MDX... I can pull into the correct spot 100% of the time, but the car has rolled into the landing countless times...

We are currently on our second road trip. My wife originally was afraid of the auto-pilot because of some phantom brakings. Now she wants me to engage it as soon as possible since auto-pilot drives better than I do, especially on curves when the car pretty much stays in the middle of the lane all the time.

I can’t imagine buying anything other than a Tesla now since no other car has even close self-driving capabilitie.

I can’t imagine buying anything other than a Tesla now since no other car has even close self-driving capabilitie.
Geez.... I remember back when I was around age 16 and got my driver's license - I couldn't wait to drive. What an exciting time it was.
Here you are celebrating the fact that you may soon not have to drive your own car down the highway.
I would personally not celebrate that, and to remedy such modern systems, I enjoy taking my 2004 Corvette Z06 with a 6 speed manual
transmission out once in a while to remember what driving is really all about, at least what it USED to be about - fun!
Remember the manual transmission? It is now known as the millennial theft deterrent, as very few (younger) people around today
are familiar with driving a stick. Even older folks wouldn't be able to make a car with a stick move ahead, without getting out
and pushing it of course. I lament the fact the manual transmission is going the way of the Dodo Bird. So few cars left that
even offer it any longer.

Geez.... I remember back when I was around age 16 and got my driver's license - I couldn't wait to drive. What an exciting time it was.
Here you are celebrating the fact that you may soon not have to drive your own car down the highway.
I would personally not celebrate that, and to remedy such modern systems, I enjoy taking my 2004 Corvette Z06 with a 6 speed manual
transmission out once in a while to remember what driving is really all about, at least what it USED to be about - fun!
Remember the manual transmission? It is now known as the millennial theft deterrent, as very few (younger) people around today
are familiar with driving a stick. Even older folks wouldn't be able to make a car with a stick move ahead, without getting out
and pushing it of course. I lament the fact the manual transmission is going the way of the Dodo Bird. So few cars left that
even offer it any longer.
I can still drive the car when I feel like doing it. I especially like pushing it on long winding curves (which is why my wife prefers auto-pilot. LOL)