Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a second hand MS over M3... help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've got a SR+ M3 on order, and today I was thinking "this might be a perfect time to buy a 2017(ish) model S".

- There's rumours of a change coming
- People are selling their S's as the warranty draws near
- People are selling their S's as they want the M3
- Seems to be plenty around

Take this for example. £50,000 for a MS with around 15,000 miles. To me this feels like a great deal. So my question is this:

What have I not considered, that makes this a bad idea? Or is it a good idea?
  1. I believe it has AP2 (but won't have 3). Still with FSD pretty far away in the UK I don't see this as a huge issue.
  2. Warranty - this bothers me.
  3. Maybe I'll prefer the 3? I borrowed the S for a weekend and it was incredible... but then again it's twice the price.
  4. I believe the M3 batteries charge faster? The S has longer range though, but maybe it won't benefit from as fast Supercharging?

Anyway, would appreciate your opinions.

So I've got a SR+ M3 on order, and today I was thinking "this might be a perfect time to buy a 2017(ish) model S".

- There's rumours of a change coming
- People are selling their S's as the warranty draws near
- People are selling their S's as they want the M3
- Seems to be plenty around

Take this for example. £50,000 for a MS with around 15,000 miles. To me this feels like a great deal. So my question is this:

What have I not considered, that makes this a bad idea? Or is it a good idea?
  1. I believe it has AP2 (but won't have 3). Still with FSD pretty far away in the UK I don't see this as a huge issue.
  2. Warranty - this bothers me.
  3. Maybe I'll prefer the 3? I borrowed the S for a weekend and it was incredible... but then again it's twice the price.
  4. I believe the M3 batteries charge faster? The S has longer range though, but maybe it won't benefit from as fast Supercharging?

Anyway, would appreciate your opinions.

Cancelled my order and bought a MS P100D 2 weeks ago, best decision imo.
Make sure that AP comes fully featured (NOA) as there are various options - so confusing.

Reactions: gangzoom
It's like comparing a 3 series BMW to a 5 series. What size car do you really want? The M3 is considerably smaller and more nimble and benefits from some newer tech and design. The MS is bigger and more comfortable, huge boot with tailgate etc, but very wide for parking and narrow streets. Both great cars, but quite different pros and cons. Take your pick! Also with a £50k budget you could now get a performance M3 if that helps your man maths!

Reactions: goRt
I've got a Model S and saw my first Model 3 in the flesh at a Supercharger on Friday. I must admit, the Model 3 looks better in reality than it does in pictures. And its a much more sensible size for UK roads. The S is a BIG car. Its good, but its not as modern or 'sharp'. I suspect the Model 3 will be a bit more future proof...

Mind, if a hatchback it important (or even more than occasionally useful) then the Model S wins hands down. You can chuck a lot of stuff into the back of a Model S.