Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a switch, any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
First day on this forum. I'm located in Toronto, Ontario, currently driving a 2017 Porsche Macan S, which I got over a year ago. Have been watching lots of videos/news/comments about Tesla and now seriously considering a switch. I'm battling between keeping my porsche and putting down reservation for model 3 then waiting for who knows how much time, or trading in the Macan and getting a used model s to start enjoying Tesla right away.
For the trade in, I notice that from autotrader.ca, any tesla model s that has autopilot would cost at least $79k, and that's only for the case for 2015 model, any newer model would be even more expensive. And the used Macan S is somewhere between $65k-$75k. So if I did the trade in, it would cost me some more dollars to spend on the monthly financing, but I could potentially save around $400 dollars on gas every month. Also, I'm wondering what is the retention price Macan S vs. Tesla model S? If I did the switch next year, would the gap between the two cars even bigger, i.e, Macan's value reduces faster than Tesla's? One last thing to consider is the maintenance cost, I just had my first service with Porsche last month, it cost me over $400 dollars for just oil change and tires re-balancing, and I know next time would be much more. I heard maintenance cost on Tesla would be close to none, even for the used ones, need someone to clarify on that.
Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

Reactions: 03DSG
Most of the studies I’ve seen on financial channels have the S holding its value better than gas cars in a comparable class, but I advise taking that with a grain of salt.

Look over the 3 and the S and see which one has the options you want and go with that. They are markedly different cars for different people. Look up Teslanomics on YouTube if you want to see one guys opinion on the S and 3. He has both and prefers his older S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Most of the studies I’ve seen on financial channels have the S holding its value better than gas cars in a comparable class, but I advise taking that with a grain of salt.

Look over the 3 and the S and see which one has the options you want and go with that. They are markedly different cars for different people. Look up Teslanomics on YouTube if you want to see one guys opinion on the S and 3. He has both and prefers his older S.
Thanks for your input. For me, it's actually more of a debate between wait and have it now. For the comparison between 3 and S, I have watched the videos you mentioned on youtube and would prefer used model S too. But 3 is a good car for sure, but I hate waiting :)

Waiting is usually a good idea with Tesla though: they are always updating & upgrading as they go. Next years 3 will have more/different features than this years ones will.
The used S will be a known quantity.

Your pickings of used Model S' are slim via the CPO program in Canada. Autotrader and other used sites would have the most options right now unfortunately.

Also, I wouldn't rely on Teslanomics for real information. He is full of hot air and was/is on a mission to pump his referral code more than anything. Most of what he says is either wrong or just plain made up. You can do a lot better for real information.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus and 03DSG
Waiting is usually a good idea with Tesla though: they are always updating & upgrading as they go. Next years 3 will have more/different features than this years ones will.
I never advise waiting for new features, unless we know something significant is coming soon or you are waiting for a specific feature. Because of how Tesla's continuous upgrades process works, there's always an update on the horizon, small or large. It might change the design in a way you don't like. There will be no warning. "Next year's 3 will have more features" — as will the year after that and the year after that.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Thanks guys, but my concern is more on the money side, in comparing used model s vs. my current 2nd year macan s. Does it make sense to switch to a potentially older and yet more expensive model s to save money on gas and potential save on the retention value?

Nobody gets a Tesla Model S to save money. Spending less on electrons than you do on gas is a bonus, but there are a dozen other better reasons to get one.

Agree. If you want some saving, dont even think about Tesla.

I personally found model 3 has a lot less features/ convenience comparing to model S/X. I like S a lot (still love to have one sitting on my drive way some days) but end up buying an X for my family use (because of SUV and 7 seats) and will get a 3 for my personal use (occasionally and probably it will end up sitting on my driveway 80% of the time). So, you want to lay down all your option and your needs (not personal preferences) and see what will be the best for you.

Agree. If you want some saving, dont even think about Tesla.

I personally found model 3 has a lot less features/ convenience comparing to model S/X. I like S a lot (still love to have one sitting on my drive way some days) but end up buying an X for my family use (because of SUV and 7 seats) and will get a 3 for my personal use (occasionally and probably it will end up sitting on my driveway 80% of the time). So, you want to lay down all your option and your needs (not personal preferences) and see what will be the best for you.
Lol I’m with you, I love model s a lot too. By saving money, I meant comparing it against the cost on my current car, which is a 2017 Porsche macan s. Considering the cost on gas and maintenance, and viechles retention values

Every day you aren't driving a Tesla is just one more day you aren't fully enjoying life. :)

Used Tesla 85S without autopilot retail for mid 50k used. I've got mine on autotrader.

If you go used you'll never worry you didn't wait long enough to ge5 new features...then upgrade to another good used S every 3 years to stay up to date.

Beats paying the initial depreciation as OP is finding with his gas SUV.

Cheers. Get a used Tesla and enjoy it.

• Love
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Every day you aren't driving a Tesla is just one more day you aren't fully enjoying life. :)

Used Tesla 85S without autopilot retail for mid 50k used. I've got mine on autotrader.

If you go used you'll never worry you didn't wait long enough to ge5 new features...then upgrade to another good used S every 3 years to stay up to date.

Beats paying the initial depreciation as OP is finding with his gas SUV.

Cheers. Get a used Tesla and enjoy it.
lol what you said makes me more motivated to entering into Tesla world right away :)

Thanks guys, but my concern is more on the money side, in comparing used model s vs. my current 2nd year macan s. Does it make sense to switch to a potentially older and yet more expensive model s to save money on gas and potential save on the retention value?

Hey, welcome to the forum!
I am in a similar boat with my P-car. I ordered the Model 3 on 28 March. However, please do not set your hopes much higher than the low 50s trade-in value for your Macan S despite the 60s-70s on Autotrader, where the prices are "asking retail prices", which are far higher than wholesale; so that may be something to consider when deciding on your choices. Trading in is offset by the HST adjustment credit on the Tesla, and explains the lower trade-in value.