Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering a Used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a Model S owner for 3 years now and am on my second one. I am very familiar with that model and Tesla and love the car. My wife has traditionally leased cars every 3 years and her Infiniti QX60 is up in a month and we are car shopping. She is looking at the Acura MDX, Lexus RX350L and today she is going to look at the Cadillac XT6. So far, she's very undecided and isn't in love with anything. The Lexus is not cheap coming in at $659 a month and the Cadillac will be similar. She feels the Acura MDX is too similar to her car now (which she hates), so even though it's much cheaper, she doesn't want it.

I woke up this AM thinking, why not look at a used Model X? If I am going to spend $650 a month, why not put 20k down and get a used X instead? I would get the 20k back in 3-4 years when I sell it if I wanted (or keep the car for 6-7 years and then the car pays for itself as opposed to leasing again). My wife drives very little, only 7k miles a year, so we don't anticipate a lot of wear and tear on it. She would save about $80 in gas a month and the used models come with with a 4 year warranty.

I realized the CPO program ended and cars are sold as is now. The pics of one model I am looking at look pretty good, and they aren't showing any significant scratches as opposed to other models. One thing to note, my wide does get motion sickness with my Model S, but after changing the regen braking to Low, she has gotten used to it. I do want her to test drive the X, but that does concern me a bit.

We are looking at the 6 seater as we do want a third row as my kids are entering the ages of car pooling (5 and 7).

I'd love anyone's feedback who might have been in the same predicament I am in. She's considering my idea, but does want to look at it more, which I would want as well. We have until end of March till we turn her lease in.

Last edited:
I've got 4 kids: 10, 10, 8, & 5. They love our 6-seater X -- as I'm sure yours do your S, as well... but can go for a 75 if she doesn't expect to take it on a lot of long trips, and superchargers are pretty close together back East there.

It makes a lot of sense. I’m in a similar situation. I have a lease that’s coming up in a few months and I bought a 2016 MX 75D directly from Tesla for $51k. Mine has higher miles (59k miles) so it’s only got 2-yr/41k miles of warranty left, but at that price point I just couldn’t say no... and when we need to go on longer trips, I can take my LR 3. So I encourage you to do it.

It makes a lot of sense. I’m in a similar situation. I have a lease that’s coming up in a few months and I bought a 2016 MX 75D directly from Tesla for $51k. Mine has higher miles (59k miles) so it’s only got 2-yr/41k miles of warranty left, but at that price point I just couldn’t say no... and when we need to go on longer trips, I can take my LR 3. So I encourage you to do it.

Thanks. The decision is really up to my wife. She keeps complaining about the interior of these cars and how ugly they are (except she likes the Lexus interior which has very comfortable seating and a 12" wide display). She is going as we speak to Cadillac. Can we just walk into a Tesla store and do a test drive of the X? It says so on the website, just not sure how accurate that is.

Thanks. The decision is really up to my wife. She keeps complaining about the interior of these cars and how ugly they are (except she likes the Lexus interior which has very comfortable seating and a 12" wide display). She is going as we speak to Cadillac. Can we just walk into a Tesla store and do a test drive of the X? It says so on the website, just not sure how accurate that is.
I do think your wife won’t be impressed by the interior of the MX though...
You can literally just walk in and get a test drive, but it depends on how busy they are with the test drive car.

Reactions: mbhforum
One thing that bothers me is literally every Used Tesla has dings and scratches. I guess spending this kind of money, I'd like to avoid that. The pictures on their site are often so up close, it's hard to gauge how bad they are.
And you won’t get to see it until delivery day... They don’t recon these cars anymore, so might be worth spending a little money afterwards to touch it up

When a used listing says "Autopilot Hardware", I assume it's need to be upgraded/paid for? Some of the listings say Autopilot Hardware, while other's say Autopilot with Convenience Features. 2016 models I believe were all AP1? What is the fee to activate it if it's not included?

So I am confused. I think there still is a program that you can still get the warranty? I am on their used site now and see used Model X's with a 50K or 100K warranty option. I say this because I am in a similar boat. My wife's van has 150K miles. Trying to decide between a new Y and a Used X. Without a warranty though would make a huge difference to me. Especially with those crazy doors.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 12.04.10 PM.png

So I am confused. I think there still is a program that you can still get the warranty? I am on their used site now and see used Model X's with a 50K or 100K warranty option. I say this because I am in a similar boat. My wife's van has 150K miles. Trying to decide between a new Y and a Used X. Without a warranty though would make a huge difference to me. Especially with those crazy doors.

If you buy used from Tesla, you either get a 2 or 4 year warranty. Most have a 4, but I do see a few that have 2 year warranties, which I won't consider. The warranty as far as mileage begins when you take delivery. So if you get a 4 year/50k warranty and the car has 20k miles, you are warrantied until 4 years or 70k, whichever comes first.

AP1 is called autopilot with convenience features. All X's built before 10/2016 are AP1. It's 3000 to activate it if it only says autopilot hardware.

Battery size is most important IMO, but 100d prices are a bit too high still. Most cars under 50k miles come with a 4 year warranty, which the X seems to need much more than our 3.

75d, VIN > 1k, and mindset to walk away if you don't like it would help. Good deals also sell very quickly (same day), so checking daily would increase chances of finding something you like.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If you buy used from Tesla, you either get a 2 or 4 year warranty. Most have a 4, but I do see a few that have 2 year warranties, which I won't consider. The warranty as far as mileage begins when you take delivery. So if you get a 4 year/50k warranty and the car has 20k miles, you are warrantied until 4 years or 70k, whichever comes first.

I agree, but the OP seems to think the CPO program is done and I don't think that is the case.